New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.31_V for WD TV Live (4/6/11)

Sometimes a share on my nas is not displayed, it’s my first share in alphabetic order.
2 out of 3 times it’s missing.

This started after I applied this firmware. Has never happened before.

And today, the wd tv live player refuses to play iso-files. Just like that. Has worked without any problems and worked fine yesterday evening until just now. :cry: A message is displayed and says I’m to check the manual…even when I try to watch the same movie from last night…

Another thing, and this stoped working a couple of updates ago, the “Subtitle default” on the video setting has no effect.  I have to manually turn on the subtitle every time…but since I can’t watch any movies now (my whole collection is in the iso format) I guess this is not a problem any longer…

/Jocke

Hi i always have the same problem, the videos with .ogg audio the sound start to slow down the audio lose the syncro with the video, can you fix that??

Shyngox85x wrote:

Hi i always have the same problem, the videos with .ogg audio the sound start to slow down the audio lose the syncro with the video, can you fix that??

I am suprised you can play any video in an ogg container. It is not supported.

Now if you are saying you are trying to play a ‘supported’ video format with Vorbis audio then that probably won’t work either.

Look at the supported combinations of containers/codecs here-

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705043.pdf

Starting on page 153. Page 152 lists all the possible combinations, starting at page 153 lists all the supported combinations.

WD, please look into the issue with 5.1 downmix to stereo from DVD rips (analog out to stereo receiver).  Since 1.03.49, the 5.1 tracks from DVD rips are extremely quiet. 

More info can be found in this thread:  http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/DVD-5-1-downmix-to-stereo-analog-out-fixed-yet/td-p/176490

As I pointed out in one of the links in the last thread I tested all firmware back to 1.02xx and they all had the down mix problem. It’s unfortunate that 1.04.31 hasn’t fixed the problem. The problem cannot be difficult to fix:

Inside a VOB container, the AC3 5.1 is not downmixed correctly

Inside an MKV container, the same (pass through) AC3 5.1 is downmixed correctly.

I have a new AV receiver now so the downmix  is less of a problem for me but it still would be a headache for  many users.

In an earlier version post, I voiced a wish that the player could directly play .FLV container media.  It was not listed originally in supported files but could play them from UTube.  I considered this a bug at the time, but since I was forced to stay at 1.03.49V due to the VOB over network problem, I couldn’t push the issue.  Well now, at 1.04.31, I can.  In the Live/Live Plus User Manual (4779-705043), the table on Page 154 clearly identifies .FLV as a supported format, yet, when I try to play a legitimate (i.e.: plays fine on other FLV compliant systems) .FLV file, I get the “Unsupported File Format” warning screen.  WTF?  I’ve had to take the FLV files and convert them to AVI before the WDTV could play them properly, but I ended up with larger files that are slightly degraded due to transcoding.  This really burns me since the WDTV can play FLV natively from UTube, so why can’t it play FLV files directly from attached media storage?

While we’re on the subject of FLV playback, regardless of source, it would be really nice to have an audio-to-video delay scroll bar with about +/-500msec range.  Many Utube videos have the audio noticeably off-sync with video, and a conveniently available scroll bar during playback ( Don’t hide it in the main WDTV Setup Menu ) would be much more useful than most of the Internet Media Services “bling” you folks have been shoehorning into the box.

After upgrade to 1.04.31_V I can’t see any subtitles, including videos I’ve watched already in former firmware (was working perfect).

I use wd tv live in Poland - so for most of videos I must convert subtitles from txt > srt, and use Central Europe 1250 encoding.

Can you help me?

Andy

RPH_16by9 wrote:

In an earlier version post, I voiced a wish that the player could directly play .FLV container media.  It was not listed originally in supported files but could play them from UTube.  I considered this a bug at the time, but since I was forced to stay at 1.03.49V due to the VOB over network problem, I couldn’t push the issue.  Well now, at 1.04.31, I can.  In the Live/Live Plus User Manual (4779-705043), the table on Page 154 clearly identifies .FLV as a supported format, yet, when I try to play a legitimate (i.e.: plays fine on other FLV compliant systems) .FLV file, I get the “Unsupported File Format” warning screen.  WTF?  I’ve had to take the FLV files and convert them to AVI before the WDTV could play them properly, but I ended up with larger files that are slightly degraded due to transcoding.  This really burns me since the WDTV can play FLV natively from UTube, so why can’t it play FLV files directly from attached media storage?

That reference also says the video codec MUST be H.264. It does not say it will play any FLV. FLV is just a container format.

Use MediaInfo  http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en  to verify that your FLV files contain H.264 video.

Partial solution: it works when run from USB drive. For network drive, as I wrote, can’t find subtitles.

best

Andy

@parnott100

Thanks for pointing that out.  The clips I was trying to play appear to be encoded in FLV1, according to the Avidemux File Information function.  The odd thing about this is that when I play the very same UTube clips directly from UTube, the WDTV plays them (with about 1/2 sec audio delay behind video, arrrgh!).   I guess I’ll have to check now any time I capture an FLV clip to see that its H.264.  That would be a pain if it weren’t for the fact that many clips have audio to video sync issues which require adjustment with an editor.

to cut a long story short it is not a good frame ware reasons:
1-brightness changes
2-HDMI  mode color failure (become purple)
3- in some screens THE RIGHT PART OF IMAGE MISSING

RPH_16by9 wrote:

@parnott100

Thanks for pointing that out.  The clips I was trying to play appear to be encoded in FLV1, according to the Avidemux File Information function.  The odd thing about this is that when I play the very same UTube clips directly from UTube, the WDTV plays them (with about 1/2 sec audio delay behind video, arrrgh!).   I guess I’ll have to check now any time I capture an FLV clip to see that its H.264.  That would be a pain if it weren’t for the fact that many clips have audio to video sync issues which require adjustment with an editor.

If you are downloading youtube clips then try using Youtube Downloader HD. You can select mp4 as the extension and all versions including HD. These will play on the WDTV

http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com/   (free)

I use a USB flash drive with numerous folder names preallocated. When Miro lists a new episode of a show I am interested in, I download it and copy it to a folder on the flash drive for later viewing via the WD Live TV.

Since I upgraded to the new firmware, it is showing all the folder names in the Settings/File Manager. It used to only display the ones that contained files within the folders.

I can see the advantage of displaying all since it allows the user to delete empty folders where the prior method didn’t.

My suggestion is to offer an option in settings to check a box to display only folders with content or all folders regardless of being empty.

If that is too much trouble, perhaps display empty folders in another color. It would allow the user to identify folders that could use file maintenance.

Thank you

A bluray rip with PGS subtitles does not place a border around the text. I convert to idx/sub and then place this outside the MKV container to produce the black outline. Why is the same idx/sub file displayed incorrectly (without a black border) when placed in the MKV container - is it something to do with MKV and not the WDTV? Obviously it’s not a big issue since it can be solved by me, more of a curiosity.

1.04.31 - Only recognizes my drive used for videos (all .iso) in “preview mode” - when I put it into “thumbnail” it works until I use the unit again, then the drive is a no-show.  Re-setting to factory defaults corrects that issue, not a real solution, but I can watch my movies.

Picture brightness is terrible and I get the blue’ish/purple tint that others have reported - thought it might be the TV but I don’t have the problem with broadcast, blu-ray or Wii

Sound as others have mentioned is very low for 5.1

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

it’s been a long time since I was around.

I checked for new FW and I saw there where some available, and logically I went to the latest one for checking what are the pros and cons of the latest one.

I’m still using 1.03.49 and for a time being will still be using this one as it does almost everything I expect from it to do (apart from FF or REV via some sort of jump to time code), and this because after I read all 255 posts on this thread !

I want to thank everyone of you who contributed on this topic, you surely helped me and the likes who still haven’t upgraded our older FW’s, you saved us much of trouble and headache, that’s what a great community is !

As much as I’m sorry for not being able to contribute on this issue with any reported bug or eventual performance improvement, that much I’m pleased I’ve not tried this version of FW.

Finally a word to WD, please take a serious note of community feedback and please address the issues reported here beacuse both, us the customers and you - WD , we are interdependent.

Once more, sincerely, thank you all !

Hi<

I am finding that the new firmware release V1.04.31_V  does not now allow file downloads from a computer to the Media player & hence its attached HDD if the files are quite large (>1.5GB). Even if the files are small it still takes many attempts.

Previous versions have done this action without problem.

It is now quicker to detach the HDD & plug it into the computer to do any transfers, which rather defeats one of the main purposes of having an ethernet connection !

Each time I now transfer the response is " Network name no longer available" even though the Media centre (plus HDD) device is fully attached and can be scanned immediately from a computer without problem.

The Home Lan traffic is also normally low - often only 2 devices attached (+router) and so cannot be responsible for message timeouts etc. The  Media player & this computer have wired connections to the router and so radio interference (WLAN) cannot be an issue.

Scanning the HDD from Win Exp before this message will kill the transfer (but the message may take mins to appear) !.

Is anyone else having this problem & does anyone have any suggestions ?

JDH99 wrote:

Hi<

I am finding that the new firmware release V1.04.31_V  does not now allow file downloads from a computer to the Media player & hence its attached HDD if the files are quite large (>1.5GB). Even if the files are small it still takes many attempts.

I have no problems at all copying very large files (10-20GB) from a computer. And even the built-in file management has been improved, as it now includes SUB/IDX files – Great! (The progress indicator is rather confusing now, though).

Cocovanna

Hi  got some issues with new firmware with the subs  idx/sub  not always all subs are shown when there are more subs language in the file. also sometimes from the sub noit always the subs are showing sometimes sub lines are not shown

while they are in teh sub file . on the pc it works fine then

with older firmware that was fine.  

Another problem i noticed is Blueray support… it plays only the first m2t file.  also in an image of the blueray as full blueray …   standing on the file it does play the blueray in thumbnail view… but not when you select it.  can these issues also be addressed to in of the next firmware update for this device. would appreciate it.  See that several people have simular issues.  or can anyone help  thx

My language is persian and Wd doesn’t support this language as well . i have to use Arabic for encoding but it doesn’t support farsi as well please in future update notice my language and support :utf-8" for resolving this problem.

i have to change srt–> sub/idx in my computer.

another problem is when i change 720p to 1080p when i power WD off and turn it on again Resoulation Refer to 720p