New Firmware - Version 1.04.18_B for the WD TV Live Plus (2/3/11)

Thank you for the info to downgrade the firmware. I have been able to watch VOB’s by using the preview window and expanding it. I know that WD will fix this problem eventually. I will hang on to it and wait for the update.

bill_s wrote:

Darconogan wrote:

So, again nothing seens to have been fixed with the stuttering issues for VOB and MKV. I would like to be able to use all of the internet media changes that 1.04 brought, but NONE of my movies play after upgrading. Stop with the one USB wireless adapter that does not work and fix the one thing that this box was meant to do, PLAY MOVIES!!! How does a firmware update break something that was working perfectly fine. I am using 6 month old firmware, waiting, and waiting and waiting. Boxee Box is slowly making ths box obsolete, and although boxee has it problems also AT LEAST IT CAN PLAY LOCALLY STORED MOVIES. 

We are working on the stuttering issues.  Hopefully, they’ll be resolved in the next release.  No promises though.

Bill,

I can provide you names and copies of correspondence dated as recently as last week between myself and WD Tech Support indicating that they are not aware of an issue with stuttering VOB files over a network  I’ve directed them to the posts in the Community Boards, but they ignore them waste my time trying the new firmware’s (which I stopped trying after 1.04.17_B until I see that it is successful.), only to have to downgrade back to 1.03.29_B because I have issue with 1.03.49_B.  Now  I see your post and I am confused. Does WD know about and acknowledge this issue or not? It is very frustrating to hear their denials and making us think that we don’t know what we’re doing. I’m beginning to think our mistake is trusting WD unconditionally as I used to.

Dave-DNS-323, it is entirely possible that they may not know about any issue with the VOB stuttering.  As I said in one of your other threads, Tech Support does not pour over these boards.  They are very busy taking calls and emails.  I can get away with calling it an issue only because all of you are calling it an issue.  But, rest assured, it’s being looked into.

It’s become clear that every company with a media player from WD to Apple to Boxee to Google is only experimenting with the tech.  Meaning, there is very little investment in these devices.  So, set your expectations very low and you’ll be happy for the most part.  But, I agree that with the exception of the Segate payer that is by far the worst, the WDTV is quickly moving to the bottom of the list.  The problem with Boxee is that it has way less resources to expend than Google, Apple, and even WD.  So, it might live on as free software, but the Box is doomed to fail unless it gets bought or licensed out quickly.

Unfortunately, this latest VOB bug denies us a basic function of the player.  So, even with my lowest expectations of what the WDTV should do, that is to say play music, pics and videos, I am left wanting, and of course very frustrated as an owner of 2 WDTV players.

Thanks to the earlier poster on how to roll back.

We updated to 04.18b and have had numerous problems. Our box “locks up” and the power has to be pulled to get it back. This was not an issue in the earlier fw, so we are going back to 03.49.

We were really happy with our WDTV, in fact we were going to buy 2 more for other rooms. But this latest problem has us waiting to see if things get better before we buy again.

My wife and I are both in SW dev, she’s an embedded engineer, and quite frankly we’re really surprised that these problems get through the testing program.

I moved this post to this thread since it is most current:

Bill - this is posted on these Boards as a known issue. You yourself  posted  two weeks ago:

‘I know they are working on this, but I’m not sure when it will be released.  However, it does seem like it’s about time for a new firmware update isn’t it?  It should be soon.’

Yet on Monday, you reply to me:

'Dave-DNS-323, it is entirely possible that they may not know about any issue with the VOB stuttering. '

What?  How can it be a confirmed bug, seem to be time for a fix, AND also be possible that they don’t know about it? Do you work on Capitol Hill?

And Tech Support writes to me a few days ago saying:

‘If engineering is able to duplicate the issue and determine the root cause of the problem they will try and come out with a firmware that would fix the issue.’

If they can duplicate? It’s a known bug for goodness sake, isn’t it?

What does it take to duplicate? Play a VOB on a network drive with any of the last 3 firmware releases. Not very hard now is it?

Is it a known bug yet?

My point is that maybe we should not rely on these Boards to communicate issues to WD. Maybe everyone experiencing this issue has to contact Tech Support in order for them to take it seriously.

Say what you want about how they do Bill, but the proof is that there STILL is not even a beta for a fix released.

They are aware of shuttering issue and are working on a fix. One of the engineers contacted and worked closely with me for a few days to figure what what was causing the issue.

Dave-DNS-323 wrote:

Bill - this is posted on these Boards as a known issue. You yourself  posted  two weeks ago:

‘I know they are working on this, but I’m not sure when it will be released.  However, it does seem like it’s about time for a new firmware update isn’t it?  It should be soon.’

'Dave-DNS-323, it is entirely possible that they may not know about any issue with the VOB stuttering. '

What?  How can it be a confirmed bug, seem to be time for a fix, AND also be possible that they don’t know about it? Do you work on Capitol Hill?

‘If engineering is able to duplicate the issue and determine the root cause of the problem they will try and come out with a firmware that would fix the issue.’

What does it take to duplicate? Play a VOB on a network drive with any of the last 3 firmware releases. Not very hard now is it?

Is it a known bug yet?

My point is that maybe we should not rely on these Boards to communicate issues to WD. Maybe everyone experiencing this issue has to contact Tech Support in order for them to take it seriously.

Say what you want about how they do Bill, but the proof is that there STILL is not even a beta for a fix released.

First of all, I’m never referring to Tech Support when I say “they” know about this and are working on it.  I’m referring to those that are working on the product.  Moreover, I don’t work in Tech Support, so I don’t know what Tech Support is or isn’t aware of.  And, as I’ve said a few times already, Tech Support doesn’t pour over this forum.  They are busy trying to help customers directly. 

And finally, I would not rely just on the boards to communicate issues to WD.  I would definitely contact Tech Support also.  Here in the community, I have to wait for an issue to become a consistent thread before I can escalate it.  And that can take a week or two.  That’s one of the main reasons the moderators will tell you to contact Tech Support is for that reason.

I’m sorry that you’re frustrated, but hopefully we’re able to provide a fix for this soon.

bill_s wrote:

Dave-DNS-323 wrote:

Is it a known bug yet?

First of all, I’m never referring to Tech Support when I say “they” know about this and are working on it.  I’m referring to those that are working on the product.  Moreover, I don’t work in Tech Support, so I don’t know what Tech Support is or isn’t aware of.  And, as I’ve said a few times already, Tech Support doesn’t pour over this forum.  They are busy trying to help customers directly. 

And finally, I would not rely just on the boards to communicate issues to WD.  I would definitely contact Tech Support also.  Here in the community, I have to wait for an issue to become a consistent thread before I can escalate it.  And that can take a week or two.  That’s one of the main reasons the moderators will tell you to contact Tech Support is for that reason.

I’m sorry that you’re frustrated, but hopefully we’re able to provide a fix for this soon.

So by ‘they’, you are referring to the WD Engineers?

So if the WD Engineers (or whomever at WD ‘they’ are), know of an issue, and ‘they’ do not share it with Tech Support, who will be fielding the customers complaints, the 'they are not being very Customer Friendly.

By not sharing information, ‘they’ are wasting Tech Support person’s time, and causing tremendous frustration with their Customers.

Bill, don’t you think that some of the high level executives at WD would be upset to see frustration of customers, and countless hours of wasted Tech Support time due to a lack of communication?

Bill, I think they need to be made aware of this, what does everyone think?

Dave-DNS-323 wrote:

“Bill, don’t you think that some of the high level executives at WD would be upset to see frustration of customers, and countless hours of wasted Tech Support time due to a lack of communication?”

Silly consumer.  Do you actually think the executives at WD give a darn about an issue with VOB files playing on one of their thousands of devices?   They are spinning around in an exec chair yapping on the phone to their golf buddies.   Get real man.

The closest you will come to getting issues resolved with this unit is trying to rally together enough people to post in the thread surrounding this issue so it can be escalated.   As this man Bill has just said to you.   Otherwise,  pick up a phone and call the tech support number and let them know that there is a thread building on this issue on their support forums.  Directly tell them how to replicate the issue so they cannot feed you the “they need to replicate the issue” schpeal.

Otherwise,  stop whining and badgering this guy Bill who clearly is just here to keep people informed as much as he can.  You are becoming a pest and taking advantage of the fact that Bill here has to reply to you in a proper and polite manner.  I wouldn’t stand for someone being this condescending and persistant after they already got an answer.

People on the user side always tend to look past what it’s like being on the programming side.  I’m sure these guys have a lot of issues to work out and being this is fairly new technology these past few years have been full of trial and error I assume.   My WDTV Live Plus functions VERY WELL for most of what it’s supposed to do.  The only issue I have is trying to stream 1080p mkv wirelessly.  If I pause the video and resume it I may get stuttering.  But I expected this because I READ the forums on this product before even buying it.   I simply just convert to 720p or I toss it on my portable HDD and watch it off that.   It’s not a big deal.   Give them some time to fix issues and they are doing their best.   I know what it’s like doing engineering it’s not fun staring at code for hours on end.

Although in general I disagree on the fact that telephone tech support is being taken as priority over a forum catered to this very product.   The majority of people using the phone support are not only computer illiterate but electronically handicapped and will probably waste most of your time with user error based issues.   The people on the forum here, Bill,  are technologically more inclined to share ACTUAL issues with this player and offer much better advice on how to improve this system.   With that,  the improvements that us forum members manage to get implimented will ultimately please the illiterate laymen from complaining about the problem that they didn’t know existed to begin with.

Kudos.

1 Like

Very nice first post benheck!

benheck wrote:

Dave-DNS-323 wrote:

“Bill, don’t you think that some of the high level executives at WD would be upset to see frustration of customers, and countless hours of wasted Tech Support time due to a lack of communication?”

Silly consumer.  Do you actually think the executives at WD give a darn about an issue with VOB files playing on one of their thousands of devices?   They are spinning around in an exec chair yapping on the phone to their golf buddies.   Get real man.

The closest you will come to getting issues resolved with this unit is trying to rally together enough people to post in the thread surrounding this issue so it can be escalated.   As this man Bill has just said to you.   Otherwise,  pick up a phone and call the tech support number and let them know that there is a thread building on this issue on their support forums.  Directly tell them how to replicate the issue so they cannot feed you the “they need to replicate the issue” schpeal.

Otherwise,  stop whining and badgering this guy Bill who clearly is just here to keep people informed as much as he can.  You are becoming a pest and taking advantage of the fact that Bill here has to reply to you in a proper and polite manner.  I wouldn’t stand for someone being this condescending and persistant after they already got an answer.

People on the user side always tend to look past what it’s like being on the programming side.  I’m sure these guys have a lot of issues to work out and being this is fairly new technology these past few years have been full of trial and error I assume.   My WDTV Live Plus functions VERY WELL for most of what it’s supposed to do.  The only issue I have is trying to stream 1080p mkv wirelessly.  If I pause the video and resume it I may get stuttering.  But I expected this because I READ the forums on this product before even buying it.   I simply just convert to 720p or I toss it on my portable HDD and watch it off that.   It’s not a big deal.   Give them some time to fix issues and they are doing their best.   I know what it’s like doing engineering it’s not fun staring at code for hours on end.

Although in general I disagree on the fact that telephone tech support is being taken as priority over a forum catered to this very product.   The majority of people using the phone support are not only computer illiterate but electronically handicapped and will probably waste most of your time with user error based issues.   The people on the forum here, Bill,  are technologically more inclined to share ACTUAL issues with this player and offer much better advice on how to improve this system.   With that,  the improvements that us forum members manage to get implimented will ultimately please the illiterate laymen from complaining about the problem that they didn’t know existed to begin with.

Kudos.

Kudos for this!!!

1 Like

I had trouble getting Netflix audio through the optical cable with 1.03.49, so I updated to 1.04.18_B.  Now I can only get Netflix audio through the optical cable if I play another file first.  If I just start Netflix first, no audio through the optical cable.

I just bought the WD TV Live Plus for my family and it wouldn’t play any MKV files, but play AVI ok. Any firmware update can fix this problems??

cuteJustin wrote:

I just bought the WD TV Live Plus for my family and it wouldn’t play any MKV files, but play AVI ok. Any firmware update can fix this problems??

DId you first check if the MKV files you try to play hold the supported parameters on codec, resolution and framerate?

I am also suffering from the VOB stuttering issue.  Thanks to reading these forums I was able to roll back, and learned of the 3rd party firmware.  If I was a normal consumer and this had happened through the normal update process I would really be upset.

I really hope WD gets their ducks in a row quickly.  I hate seeing a great product be abandoned like this.

I think something happen when I copy the movies. Let me try again.

I updated from  1.03.29_B  to the latest   1.04.18_B .   

I couldnt able to connect to internet automatically as it used to before with my old firmare.

With this new firmware, after i boot, i need to go to network settings and then select  networksetup and then find my network and click connect. there after it will be connected till i shut down.

The same thing happened when i updated firmware last time 4 months back and i posted the question on internet and no body could able to give me proper solution and even the wd tech support, so i went back and loaded my old firmware and was happy until now.

I thought this problem might have been fixed with so many firmware updates but it is not.

My network adapter is Netgear WN111v2,    I tried deleting all wireless networks and changed password from all numbers( WEP-Open security in router) to WPA-Pers TKIP ( with all characters password) but still my problem is like that.

Should I go back to the oldest firmware?  please suggest me I am desperate and slowly my aversion to WD is growing day by day.

Hi, With this firmware version 1.04.18_B there are some bugs that were not before, VOB stuttering, mkv stuttering, switching from play a file to Netflix no sound, playing Netflix Parts of the audio are missing or cut-off and Picture was unwatchable.

I downgrade or rollback to version 1.3.49_B and everything work perfect the way it’s supposed to be.

The problem is I don’t have Facebook, Blockbuster On Demand, Deezer, Flingo, AccuWeather.

So if more and more people start to rollback or downgrade to previous version without this application this is going to affect the relationship between wd and this companies, they are losing potential customers, that mean money…

It’s time to start to rollback until wd fix this bugs and improve the software, the firmware upgrade is supposed to improve the product not to break it…

I like this little box…

The thing is, how can you roll back your firmware, when the usb firmware upgrade option was lost with the 1.04.17B and the new beta firmware is not on the online upgrade yet? I used to praise this box as the one to get, but now i’m thinking about bringing the Tvix back out of retirement.