New Firmware - Version 1.04.18_B for the WD TV Live Plus (2/3/11)

Darconogan wrote:

So, again nothing seens to have been fixed with the stuttering issues for VOB and MKV. I would like to be able to use all of the internet media changes that 1.04 brought, but NONE of my movies play after upgrading. Stop with the one USB wireless adapter that does not work and fix the one thing that this box was meant to do, PLAY MOVIES!!! How does a firmware update break something that was working perfectly fine. I am using 6 month old firmware, waiting, and waiting and waiting. Boxee Box is slowly making ths box obsolete, and although boxee has it problems also AT LEAST IT CAN PLAY LOCALLY STORED MOVIES. 

darconogan,

I play vob, mkv and m2ts (high bit rate) over my lan (Gb wired) without any issues and am running the latest firmware.  I stream directly from my NAS to the WDTV live plus.  My setup is in my signature.

Are you sure you have isolated any LAN related issues? 

So can anyone confirm that the mkv stutter is gone with this new firmware?

Jerra wrote:

So can anyone confirm that the mkv stutter is gone with this new firmware?

It is still there… same as 1.04.10, 1.04.17, and 1.04.18. Just read this thread and you will get your answer.

If you had problems before, you will still have them,. If you were one of the lucky ones that did not have issues, then the new firmware will probably work for you. There were only 2 changes made in this firmware, and they are posted on the previous page of this thread…

1 Like

tjkaz wrote:

I play vob, mkv and m2ts (high bit rate) over my lan (Gb wired) without any issues and am running the latest firmware.  I stream directly from my NAS to the WDTV live plus.  My setup is in my signature.

Are you sure you have isolated any LAN related issues? 

I don’t think that you are talking about the same thing. When using Network Shares, we can play single VOB files, and we can play DVDs stored as ISOs. However, when playing back DVDs that are stored as VOB files in the VIDEO_TS directory, AND when using WD’s DVD navigation, there is much stuttering. Many of us have this problem and it is real. The problem goes away when downgrading to 1.03.49. This has been confirmed by many users here.

See this thread

VOB Stutter

1 Like

Ok thanks scandy, Then i will stick with 1.03.49.

I must say that im suprised that they didnt fix the issues in this new FW its Hillarious!

Anyone else seeing a problem with this firmware update when watching Netflix?  After updating to this firmware, when I play a Netflix movie, I get audio just fine, but a completely black screen.  I’ve tried deauthorizing and re-authorizing the box, but it doesn’t make a difference (I was hoping it was a DRM issue or something).  I get the black screen regardless of if its HD or SD content, if it matters.   FWIW, my Blu-Ray player has Netflix support and I CAN successfully watch streaming Netlix from there, so I’m guessing it’s not a TV issue, and Netflix DID work with previous firmwares.

You’re saying it DID work on version 1.04.17_B?

Ok, and this is really weird… reverted it back to 17B and it started working again. So, I put it on another TV and reinstalled 18B and it works. So, I moved it back to the first TV and it stopped working again. So I moved it to a different HDMI port and it still doesn’t work. Finally, I swapped the HDMI cable and its working now… and the HDMI cable I swapped out works just fine on my blu~ray player… so, I’m guessing its fixed, or at least I’m not going to fuss with it any more now that everything seems to be working.

nutbar wrote:
Netflix Canada is still broken

It’s not broken - it’s unsupported. The box says “US Only” – Unless Canada joined the Union and I missed it, that would exclude Canada imho. Correct me if I’m wrong anyone…

Darconogan wrote:

So, again nothing seens to have been fixed with the stuttering issues for VOB and MKV. I would like to be able to use all of the internet media changes that 1.04 brought, but NONE of my movies play after upgrading. Stop with the one USB wireless adapter that does not work and fix the one thing that this box was meant to do, PLAY MOVIES!!! How does a firmware update break something that was working perfectly fine. I am using 6 month old firmware, waiting, and waiting and waiting. Boxee Box is slowly making ths box obsolete, and although boxee has it problems also AT LEAST IT CAN PLAY LOCALLY STORED MOVIES. 

We are working on the stuttering issues.  Hopefully, they’ll be resolved in the next release.  No promises though.

Bill I know you are not on the dev team. But this is like Toyota saying "we know our brakes don’t work but we can’t guarantee our recall will fix them. Playing video is what 99.9999 % of us do with this device. Wd should be working on nothing else for these Players than that. I did not buy a device for weather and flingo!

The WDTV Live have same bug with D-link DWA 131 Wifi adaptors not working. WD Plz Fix it!

Nehptis wrote:

Bill I know you are not on the dev team. But this is like Toyota saying "we know our brakes don’t work but we can’t guarantee our recall will fix them. Playing video is what 99.9999 % of us do with this device. Wd should be working on nothing else for these Players than that. I did not buy a device for weather and flingo!

You are absolutely right.  But all I’m saying is that you haven’t been forgotten, and that they are working on it.  That’s meant to let you know they haven’t quit on the issue.

Proud to have the 1.02.21 version.

And it’s all ok.

Release 1.04.18 (2/3/2011)

• Resolved USB FW update issue found in 1.04.17_B.
  • Resolved issue with Airlink Golden 150 and D-link DWA 131 Wifi adaptors not working with 1.04.17_B.

Well I have an Asus USB-N10 that stopped working with 1.04.17_B and caused great inconvenience to have to downgrade.  It’s the same Realtek chip as thr Airlink Golden 150.  Does that mean my card will work to?  If so, why is it not listed?  And if no, why are we not warned?

Western Digital is a company worth $5 billion dollars.  You guys can’t hire an intern to test all the “supported” Wifi cards before new firmware is released?

I don’t mean to be rude, but WTF.  Every time I’ve turned it on for months it nags me to update the firmware to a version I already know destroys all functionality for me (no network connection and it’s a worthless brick). 

wdtv-strath wrote:

Release 1.04.18 (2/3/2011)

• Resolved USB FW update issue found in 1.04.17_B.
  • Resolved issue with Airlink Golden 150 and D-link DWA 131 Wifi adaptors not working with 1.04.17_B.

Well I have an Asus USB-N10 that stopped working with 1.04.17_B and caused great inconvenience to have to downgrade.  It’s the same Realtek chip as thr Airlink Golden 150.  Does that mean my card will work to?  If so, why is it not listed?  And if no, why are we not warned?

Western Digital is a company worth $5 billion dollars.  You guys can’t hire an intern to test all the “supported” Wifi cards before new firmware is released?

I don’t mean to be rude, but WTF.  Every time I’ve turned it on for months it nags me to update the firmware to a version I already know destroys all functionality for me (no network connection and it’s a worthless brick). 

Have you tried the .18 firmware or not?  According to reports this adaptor does work.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/Airlink-101-wireless-device-can-t-be-recognized-after-Firmware-1/td-p/114194/highlight/true/page/2

Does this firmware play m2ts & ts?

playerone wrote:

Does this firmware play m2ts & ts?

They always have.

I’ve just purchased The WD TV Live Plus and the first thing it wanted to do was upgrade the firmware to 1.04.18_B for which I clicked OK. I was watching a movie “VOB”  from a shared drive on my network when I lost sound and the video stream became choppy. I was able to finish watching my video by clicking over to the preview window and clicking on it to have it expand to full screen. I have an HDMI hookup and the sound must be set to stereo rather than digital to hear it when watching from the preview window. I’m very disappointed in this product since it failed out of the box, with the things that  I want to do with it. Netflix on the other hand works just fine and didn’t stutter one bit. I bought this as an additional unit for video streaming  and watching Netflix on another TV in my house. I’m thinking of returning this product from where I purchased it and hooking my Seagate home theater live back up to that TV. I wasn’t having any problems with that unit. I like Western Digital products, but you really shouldn’t put one out that doesn’t work right.

jajrs wrote:

I’ve just purchased The WD TV Live Plus and the first thing it wanted to do was upgrade the firmware to 1.04.18_B for which I clicked OK. I was watching a movie “VOB”  from a shared drive on my network when I lost sound and the video stream became choppy. I was able to finish watching my video by clicking over to the preview window and clicking on it to have it expand to full screen. I have an HDMI hookup and the sound must be set to stereo rather than digital to hear it when watching from the preview window. I’m very disappointed in this product since it failed out of the box, with the things that  I want to do with it. Netflix on the other hand works just fine and didn’t stutter one bit. I bought this as an additional unit for video streaming  and watching Netflix on another TV in my house. I’m thinking of returning this product from where I purchased it and hooking my Seagate home theater live back up to that TV. I wasn’t having any problems with that unit. I like Western Digital products, but you really shouldn’t put one out that doesn’t work right.

Roll it back to version 1.03.49 and you’ll be fine.   This is a known issue in the latest versions.  WD is working on a fix.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800/