New Firmware Release - Firmware Version 1.04.10_V for WD TV Live (11/22/10)

Anyone have the Boxee?

Yes, I have a Boxee Box.   For me, the only thing it adds that’s better than the WDTV is “Scraping” of content info from IMDb, and lots of other online content.    It’s expensive at $200, and it also has a slew of bugs right now.

Upgraded to 1.04.10V on My WDTV Live and am getting serious DVD VOB stuttering over a network share. Makes movies unwatchable… Does it on pretty much every DVD VOB at intervals of probably a minute or so. I notice that the network seems to really have a lot of activity, more constant rapid blinking on the network switch than I remember with the old firmware I was running (I think it was 1.01.11). I haven’t upgraded in a long time (scared because of the update problems a while back) and I am pleased to see that DVD menus work now (that’s the main reason that I switched to the Asus OPlay). Until the stuttering problems are fixed, guess it’s back to the Oplay.

“Yes, I have a Boxee Box.   For me, the only thing it adds that’s better than the WDTV is “Scraping” of content info from IMDb, and lots of other online content.    It’s expensive at $200, and it also has a slew of bugs right now.”

Yeah, but no more expensive than the new HUB  product from WD.   I am very interested to know how people are coming along with that…   

egnilk66 wrote:

“Yes, I have a Boxee Box.   For me, the only thing it adds that’s better than the WDTV is “Scraping” of content info from IMDb, and lots of other online content.    It’s expensive at $200, and it also has a slew of bugs right now.”

Yeah, but no more expensive than the new HUB  product from WD. 

With the big difference that the Boxee Box does not have 1TB of storage, doesn’t function as a NAS, and doesn’t offer HDMI 1.4.

A fairer comparison is the Live Plus, a device without storage, which is $100 cheaper than the Boxee Box.  

What are you getting on the Boxee Box that’s worth $100 dollars more?  

That’s why Tony says it’s expensive, because it is.  :)

Don’t get me wrong; I like the idea of Boxee, am a big fan of XBMC (which Boxee forked from), and look to the Boxee Box as potentially my next media player if things with WD’s lineup don’t go so well.  But, right now, it’s not the uber-player everyone expected.

Thanks for the run down…   I wasn’t really sure what the boxee had on it…except for the IMDB thing, which is pretty rad.    But, I’m still looking at the HUB.   I’m sure WD will get their A$$ in gear eventually, and get these things fixed.    Does the HUB have these same problems?

Will there be a quick update to fix the Black Folders which are in the middle of the Thumbnail views? Perhaps we can get rid of this fodler icon all together and get a nice view of the Thumbnails. I must say though the thumbnails looks way better with the new update. Keep up the good work.

I do have the same problems. After the update Streaming via my network has become a real pain in the **s.

I how that the support guys will take this complaint seriously ! Where can I find the older FW-versions to downgrade again?

Here it is:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800

I don’t like using a media server, but I moved to TVersity to run with WD. Took the advice from someone in this forumn and “make sure it is *not* set to transcode the video”

Can’t remember who suggested it…but thanks.

At least it will get me over the “stuttering mkv’'s” as a result of this frimware

I find it incomprehensible that Western Digital released this firmware version as an official release. It is a buggy beta. It is also disconcerting that they have not issued a fix or at least an official rollback until they sort this mess out.

Rolling back can easily be done via flash drive but there are many end users who are uncomfortable with that.

And then you will still be nagged constantly to upgrade to the latest firmware since Western Digital offers no option in preferences to disable checking for firmware updates.

Wake up WD!

wavsine wrote:

I find it incomprehensible that Western Digital released this firmware version as an official release. It is a buggy beta. It is also disconcerting that they have not issued a fix or at least an official rollback until they sort this mess out.

Rolling back can easily be done via flash drive but there are many end users who are uncomfortable with that.

And then you will still be nagged constantly to upgrade to the latest firmware since Western Digital offers no option in preferences to disable checking for firmware updates.

Wake up WD!

I find it incomprehensible that you did not not read at least some of  the posts above yours.

WD have released official rollback firmware with full instructions.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800

I find it incomprehensible that you can’t read. I said that WD should release the previous firmware (renumbered) as an automatic update so as not to further inconvenience their less technically savvy end users that they have already disenfranchised with this debacle.

Try reading the post before you embarass yourself again.

That may have been what you _ meant _, but it certainly wasn’t what you _ said _.

If you’re going to be snarky and argumentative, at least try to be correct.

wavsine wrote:

It is also disconcerting that they have not issued a fix or at least an official rollback until they sort this mess out.

Is this you. The link I gave you is the official rollback from WD. 

I understand you went on to other points about the problems of rolling back but nowhere did you ask for an automatic downgrade.

I find it incomprehensible that you don’t know what you wrote thats really embrassing.

wavsine wrote:

… they have already disenfranchised with this debacle.

Try reading the dictionary definition for big words before you embarrass yourself.   Disenfranchise means to deny someone the right to vote.   Disenchanted is the word I’m guessing you wanted to use.

richUK wrote:

wavsine wrote:

It is also disconcerting that they have not issued a fix or at least an official rollback until they sort this mess out.

Is this you. The link I gave you is the official rollback from WD.

I understand you went on to other points about the problems of rolling back but nowhere did you ask for an automatic downgrade.

I find it incomprehensible that you don’t know what you wrote thats really embrassing.

Since you insist on displaying your Stanford-Binet deficit, I’ll simplify this for you. Only a very small percentage of Western Digital users ever find their way to this forum. The vast majority simply download the latest firmware when nagged to do so by their media player. The only way those people will get their players working properly again is via an official update automatically to their device.

You can argue the semantics of “official update” all day but for most end users the only official update they will ever see is the one delivered over the network nag from Western Digital.

Can someone remove this ■■■■ from the record, please?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

wavsine wrote:

… they have already disenfranchised with this debacle.

Try reading the dictionary definition for big words before you embarrass yourself.   Disenfranchise means to deny someone the right to vote.   Disenchanted is the word I’m guessing you wanted to use.

disenfranchise- “to deprive of some privilege or right”

Nope, that is exactly what I meant. Go back to school.

I tried any firmware version and when I play video movie, 1080 p , format MKV  x264, audio is DTS 6 channel and this audio don’t play. Video is OK but this audio says no supported and no sound , during playback. Please resolve this problem for audio DTS - 6 channel , format MKV-x264. Thank you.