New Firmware Release - Firmware Version 1.04.10_V for WD TV Live (11/22/10)

I have very bad sound in *avi (divx) files with mp3 codek after upgrade to 1.04.10_V. Fix quickly please!!! 

vlad468 wrote:

Fix quickly please!!! 

Reset your WDTV.

1 Like

Mine WDTVLIVE after update video streaming from shares was very, very bad, reseted several times and reflashed with current firmware the same. Flashed with wdtvlive_1.03.42_V firmware works without problem.

Best Regards

vlad468 wrote:

I have very bad sound in *avi (divx) files with mp3 codek after upgrade to 1.04.10_V. Fix quickly please!!! 

Just to elaborate on RG;s advice to reset your WDTV (which is the right advice, so go do it!), if you use Flingo in the latest firmware, it triggers an audio distortion bug that is resolved by resetting the unit (power down / unplug).

I had to use the reset to factory defaults selection under settings to fix my audio.  A cold boot did not work for me.

The new firmware caused a problem with my USB wifi adapter a Netgear WNDA3100v1 RangeMax.  I had to redo the network setup for wireless everytime I power cycled my unit.  After trying to troubleshoot the problem for a couple of days, I fell back to version 1.02.21 and now it’s automatically connecting to the network again.  Shame, I really liked some of the new Internet apps :frowning:

I have previously written in support of WD’s prolonged Beta testing process, however it is very difficult to support the process when the final releases bear only superficial resemblance to the Betas which the community took so much time to extensively test. Given the plethora of new features in the current official release that never made it into any Beta is any surprise that so many users are reporting issues with this official release? For own part  I won’t bother testing Betas in the future.

I am sad to say, that I have had the same problems! Updated to 1.03.49_v - terrible! Than I updated to 1.04.10 - made the problem even worse!! I have found out that it most likely is WD’s network protocol that have the problem! The network is simply getting so slow that the bitrate on movies slow so much down taht sound and picture stutter! :frowning:

As I write I’m roling back to 1.03.29 - sadly I am loosing my faith in WD!! :frowning: I serouisly considering buying another box!!!

fls2002dk wrote:

I am sad to say, that I have had the same problems! Updated to 1.03.49_v - terrible! Than I updated to 1.04.10 - made the problem even worse!! I have found out that it most likely is WD’s network protocol that have the problem! The network is simply getting so slow that the bitrate on movies slow so much down taht sound and picture stutter! :frowning:

As I write I’m roling back to 1.03.29 - sadly I am loosing my faith in WD!! :frowning: I serouisly considering buying another box!!!

Are you saying that betas have better network protocol?

I didn’t bother with any betas, but I rolled back to 1.03.49 from 1.04.10 as I couldn’t play any DVD’s (VIDEO_TS) over network.

I noticed that my highest bitrate movie (27.5Mbps) stutters with this firmware (1.03.49) and it never did with 1.02.21. So it’s a trade of for me, as I want proper DVD support which is not there in 1.02.21.

If any of betas is “faster” than 1.03.49 that would work for me, as I’ll get better network AND DVD support.

I am just a little confused as you state that you rolled back to 1.03.29 and I don’t have it in my collection.

I have (as betas):

I might have missed to download the one you are talking about.

Are you saying that betas have better network protocol?

I didn’t bother with any betas, but I rolled back to 1.03.49 from 1.04.10 as I couldn’t play any DVD’s (VIDEO_TS) over network.

I noticed that my highest bitrate movie (27.5Mbps) stutters with this firmware (1.03.49) and it never did with 1.02.21. So it’s a trade of for me, as I want proper DVD support which is not there in 1.02.21.

If any of betas is “faster” than 1.03.49 that would work for me, as I’ll get better network AND DVD support.

I am just a little confused as you state that you rolled back to 1.03.29 and I don’t have it in my collection.

I have (as betas):

I might have missed to download the one you are talking about.

These are all for the Live

1.03.29 is for the Live Plus.

fls2002dk posted on the wrong thread

Darn!

It would be really interesting to find out if one of the betas is permanent solution to me. I am just not sure I want to go trough all the trouble of reflashing, but it might be worth it if WD does nothing to fix this and soon.

I do not care about all the fluff. All I want is full bitrate bluray playback and proper DVD structure support.

Anybody can confirm which one of betas is “fastest”?

What the H is going on here. I just rolled back to previous software (before the last 2 updates) and .mkv’s are still stuttering. What’s up with this???

I know I am on a previous firmware because I do not have “Internet Media” anymore.

This is driving me nuts.

My problems with high bit-rate MKV stuttering over LAN shares began with 1.03.49B and 1.04.10B (both of which are production versions that were released within a few days of each other).

The last two versions I used that did not have the MKV stuttering were 1.03.29B (production) and 1.03.39B (beta).

I saw DVD VOB stuttering over LAN shares with 1.04.10B but don’t recall if 1.03.49B had that problem. Same goes for some of the other problems users have been reporting (long delay to initial playback via shares of some MKV’s, long delay after FF/REW of some MKV’s, subtitles being forced on in MKV’s, etc.). 1.04.10 was were I spent most of my time regression testing.

What I find interesting is that some of the more frequent power users here (I am not one of them) who initially reported success with 1.03.49 and 1.04.10,  plus WDC’s own staff, apparently don’t have very thorough regression testing suites to have let so many problems go unnoticed on these last two releases.

Hydrogin: You’re right.    *I* use only a very small subset of the features.   100% of my library is MUSIC (in MP3), Photos in JPG, and Movies as MKV or DVD ISO.

NONE of those formats have a single problem, so I could count it as a complete success.    Given all the flack from users, I went and extracted an ISO into its component VOBs to see if I could reproduce the issues (I can, most certainly say ITS BROKEN!)

So, yeah, I am a power user who cries SUCCESS!!  Because it fixes the HDMI issues and NetFlix issues I was having, and didn’t introduce any new problems.

But that doesn’t excuse WD’s lack of Regression testing…  :)

Can anyone recommend an alternative to PlayOn for streaming Hulu via DLNA?  (Are there any?)  

I believe that I’ve seen several other DLNA servers that seem to continue to work with the WD Live Plus.  I would find it a little odd if it’s just PlayOn that’s broken.  Are there other servers out there that have stopped working as well?

Just for the record, I am very UNHAPPY that the firmware upgrade broke PlayOn.  Better to close up shop than to be known for selectively depriving customers of a well established and popular feature.

thanh wrote:

Great job ! Guys

No problem with new version

Just only File Management when deleted files - it does not refresh screen - press “back”  to cancel and go back to  start.  ( however, files and folder actually deleted  at least).

It would be nice if there is fix for Vietnamese subtitles then it would be good value for money player

Hi,

I have exactly the same issues with file management when I delete files/folders.

The action icons are also not highlighted when you select them.

The weird thing is there’s no mention of file management in any  release notes.

My only guess is they’re working on making bug fixes / changes there.

I hope so. It could do with some enhancements. (remaining space shown, ability to make/rename folders etc )

Otherwise the upgrade works fine for me. I don’t access shares on my networks etc. So

I can’t comment on those issues.

Facebook, Accuweather work well for me though.

fatshark wrote:

Can anyone recommend an alternative to PlayOn for streaming Hulu via DLNA?  (Are there any?)  

I believe that I’ve seen several other DLNA servers that seem to continue to work with the WD Live Plus.  I would find it a little odd if it’s just PlayOn that’s broken.  Are there other servers out there that have stopped working as well?

Just for the record, I am very UNHAPPY that the firmware upgrade broke PlayOn.  Better to close up shop than to be known for selectively depriving customers of a well established and popular feature.

Just roll back your firmware, playon will work and you will be happy once again. :smileyvery-happy:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800&p

Can anyone recommend another player? I’m at my wits end. Gonna ditch it and get something else.

Apacer AL670 ! 

http://eu.apacer.com/products/AL670

I own this one perfect player you can change colour of subtitle and lot of things more than WD live ! 

oceansoul wrote:

Apacer AL670 ! 

http://eu.apacer.com/products/AL670

I own this one perfect player you can change colour of subtitle and lot of things more than WD live ! 

Does it play from network shares like the WD? Any issues with .mkv’s?