New Firmware Release - Firmware Version 1.04.10_B for WD TV Live Plus (11/22/10)

Guy_K wrote:

nabeel wrote:

Netflix doesn’t work for me at all. A Philips TV. Previous firmware (before last), there would be some picture coming through, but now it’s complete white snow. No audio either. Unfortunately, we only have Philips TVs, and it’s the same thing on all (well, one Visio, which I can check on)

Can you tell me what model this is failing on?

Since you are at it Guy_K please fix PlayOn for us :smiley:

Sure can, philips 26PFL5302D/37 I can’t check the other at the moment, but it’s a 46" of the same model. This is a 26" Thanks! If you need any other details let me know

Lunar07 wrote:

Guy_K wrote:

nabeel wrote:

Netflix doesn’t work for me at all. A Philips TV. Previous firmware (before last), there would be some picture coming through, but now it’s complete white snow. No audio either. Unfortunately, we only have Philips TVs, and it’s the same thing on all (well, one Visio, which I can check on)

Can you tell me what model this is failing on?

Since you are at it Guy_K please fix PlayOn for us :smiley:

We’re looking into it.

I’m still having issues with MKV’s that play fine on other devices… the audio gets out of sync during playback. Here is the mediainfo:

General
UniqueID : 187353219320459031645825136303140989760 (0x8CF2EAE306FF0A8AA758D1C3AF536B40)
Complete name : NHL Match 20.11.2010 Rangers@Wild HD.mkv
Format : Matroska
File size : 2.97 GiB
Duration : 1h 37mn
Overall bit rate : 4 384 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2010-11-21 16:13:54
Writing application : mkvmerge v3.2.0 ('Beginnings') built on Feb 12 2010 16:46:17
Writing library : libebml v0.7.9 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=4, N=31
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 3 912 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 20.0 Mbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 59.940 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.071
Stream size : 2.65 GiB (89%)
Color primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Codec ID : A_AC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 267 MiB (9%)

Still having the same video resolution problems…

1. HDMI (auto) does not work correctly. About 50% of the time the WD box powers on set at 720p instead of 1080i (my TV does not support 720p). Although this is a problem, it is OK because no one expects the HDMI handshaking to work with every TV.

However,these next two items are the real problem and have been present in every firmware released (1.03.29, 1.03.39, 1.03.43, 1.03.49, and 1.04.10)…

1. The firmware DOES NOT REMEMBER THE VIDEO SETTINGS when powered off/on. I manually set the video resolution to 1080i 60Hz, and RGB low. However the next time that I power the unit off/on, the WD box sets itself to 720p.

2. Even when the box powers on set correctly to 1080i, the color space is always set to RGB high, even though I have manually set it at RGB low.

When the video resolution is set to hdmi auto, hdmi handshaking should be used to try to automatically set the video resolution and color space. However, when the video resolution and color space are set manually, the WD box should just remember these settings and set them when the unit powers on. HDMI HANDSHAKING SHOULD NOT BE USED WHEN THE VIDEO RESOLUTION IS SET MANUALLY. The reason that the video resolution is set manually is because the auto handshaking has failed.

This problem of not remembering the video resolution/color space is present in the whole WD product line. There have been numerous posts about this problem for the WD Live, Live Plus, and Hub. WD engineers, please fix this issue. It is spoiling an otherwise good product. Now that you have hdmi handshaking working with most TVs, why can’t you implement this simple fix for the rest of us?

…BTW, I did press the reset button, and did do a reset to factory defaults after upgrading the firmware.

Updated my Plus online. Previous firmware was 1.03.39_B.

Update went smoothly.

Netflix works fine, no degradation in quality or function.

New services are nice but Flingo definitely has some issues with stability, along with a weird audio bug causing distortion in all subsequent music / video until you restart the unit.

Cleared my stored network passwords, turned auto login off. Logged into network shares no problem.

Keyboard functionality seemed a bit off… like there was lag I’ve never noticed before. Happened while navigating the UI and also when inputting passwords. One good thing is that hitting the OK key on my Logitech Wii keyboard accepts a password without needing to navigate to the submit button, nice.

Overall, a step forward for me but the Flingo app needs those bugs fixed, especially when it affects the unit’s performance.

-edit-

Running some tests, an 8.5GB MKV (720p with 5.1 AC-3 audio) would stutter and lose audio via network shares.  However, that same file plays great via Twonky media server.  For testing, I’m using a Powerline connection, which isn’t ideal for higher bandwidth content, so not sure if I can blame the firmware or not.  

Will try a DVD ISO next (via net share).

Hi,

can you tell us if broken Playon is intentional or not?

Thanks.

ptsenter wrote:

Hi,

can you tell us if broken Playon is intentional or not?

Thanks.

It is not intentional.

PixelPower wrote:

Running some tests, an 8.5GB MKV (720p with 5.1 AC-3 audio) would stutter and lose audio via network shares.  However, that same file plays great via Twonky media server.  For testing, I’m using a Powerline connection, which isn’t ideal for higher bandwidth content, so not sure if I can blame the firmware or not.  

Will try a DVD ISO next (via net share).

See if you can find a VIDEO_TS to try.

I’ve been doing some regression testing with 1.04.10 … with VIDEO_TS playback using LAN shares, video eventually stutters, the framerate slows down, and audio is lost. Some titles take a little longer than others to get to the stuttering point.

I’m also having the same problems with high bit-rate MKV playback using LAN shares (these are direct blu ray rips with no user-compression, 20Gb to 30GB in size, average bit rates in the 20-25 Mbps range). So far, it looks like the problem is mostly with MKV’s ripped using MakeMKV. MKV rips made by DVDfab don’t seem to be having this problem.

I was having similar MKV issues with 1.03.49B. Reverting back to 1.03.29 made the problem disappear. A few others have reported similar experiences with high-bitrate MKV’s at the AVS forums.

I should also add I’ve noticed 1.03.49 and 1.04.10 seem to take longer (many seconds) to start playing a high bitrate MKV via shares (after its selected) than 1.03.29 and 1.03.39. Will report more shares playback  results as regression testing continues …

Please fix this ASAP.  I got an e-mail from PlayOn suggesting I roll back the update.  I do not wish to do so, I’d rather WD push out a fix for this [deleted].  

p.s. I love all the additional apps.  Thanks for including the WD TV Live Plus people and not making us feel left behind with the recent new product release. 

YOU’VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!   One request for Upload to Facebook a week ago and Viola! there it is!!???  What about an option up there to DELETE the file!!!???  There have been many dozens of posts for this coming in for years and still nothing. Comeon guys. PRETTY PLEASE !!!

Basics first, then bells and whistles…

woodywdl wrote:

YOU’VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!   One request for Upload to Facebook a week ago and Viola! there it is!!???  What about an option up there to DELETE the file!!!???  There have been many dozens of posts for this coming in for years and still nothing. Comeon guys. PRETTY PLEASE !!!

Basics first, then bells and whistles…

Can you stop making these multiple posts. The facebook app was obviously put in because it was ported from the hub. No big deal.

This is a BIG THANK YOU to WD for including all these apps for Live and Live Plus units.  Totally unexpected.  I can live without PlayOn till PlayOn and/or WD fixes the issue - but the firmware releases have been super!

Here are issues I am seeing since updating the firmware last night.

Powering Up:

This seems to take an inordinate amount of time now.

1. The unit comes up, my screen flashes then goes black for a while (15 seconds or so).

2. The WD logo comes up for a few seconds.

3. The screen goes black again for a while.

4. A “Loading” screen comes up.

5. The screen goes black again for a while.

6. The normal menu comes up.

Overall this seems to take about 1.5 minutes each time. It was already a bit too long to begin with before the update, but now seems to take even longer.

Network Files Access:

I have seen that as a general rule, after selecting my NAS drive the system will just sit for about 45 seconds then give me an error. This happens twice, and then the NAS drive files show up fine the third time. Once I successfully connect to the NAS drive files, it shows up fine everytime until I power off again, where the problem will repeat.

MKV files:

This seems to be compeletely broken.

1. They take about 3 times as long as they used to before they start playing initially.

2. The time counter does not update correctly, as it hesitates for up to 3 seconds at times, and then updates randomly. Sometimes it updates 5 counts over 2 seconds. Sometimes it simply stops updating at all. The problems seem to be repeatable up to the 30-35 second count, but get more glitchy/random after that.

3. At exactly 26 seconds (by the counter) the file stops playing back properly. It starts playing in something between 1/4 and 1/2 speed, but also pauses or skips frames at random, and there is no audio while this is happening.

4. After the issue in 3, if I tap the control for Fast Forward and press Play again immediately, the file completely pause for about 10-15 seconds as if it is buffering data, then plays back again, though from a bit forward of where it was. Unfortunately, 26 seconds later the pattern repeats. Tapping Rewind and Play has a similar effect sometimes, but only works randomly.

5. Trying to skip forward (FF followed by Next) causes various issues at random. Sometimes it just skips to the next file. Sometimes it buffers and continues playing as per 4. Sometimes it skips forward 10 minutes as expected, but immediately goes into the slow down issue from 3, and will not come out of that mode no matter what I do. Sometimes it works as per 3 and 4.

6. Even though my setup has “Off” selected for the Subtitles setting, the MKV files always start up showing Subtitle number 1. I can manually turn them off again during playback, but this should not be happening in the first place. This does not happen with any other file type.

General Issues:

Still have the whole problem of showing the JPEG files when selecting Video or Music and then accessing network files. I simply can’t believe this is that difficult an item to fix.

DIVX, AVI, MP3, MP4, OGG files:

All these seem to load and play just fine. No issues noted right now. I know I have some addional file types on the system somewhere, but they are so few and far between that I didn’t test them right now.

KRClark wrote:

Here are issues I am seeing since updating the firmware last night.

(snip) …

MKV files:

This seems to be compeletely broken.

1. They take about 3 times as long as they used to before they start playing initially.

1. The time counter does not update correctly, as it hesitates for up to 3 seconds at times, and then updates randomly. Sometimes it updates 5 counts over 2 seconds. Sometimes it simply stops updating at all. The problems seem to be repeatable up to the 30-35 second count, but get more glitchy/random after that.

1. At exactly 26 seconds (by the counter) the file stops playing back properly. It starts playing in something between 1/4 and 1/2 speed, but also pauses or skips frames at random, and there is no audio while this is happening.

1. After the issue in 3, if I tap the control for Fast Forward and press Play again immediately, the file completely pause for about 10-15 seconds as if it is buffering data, then plays back again, though from a bit forward of where it was. Unfortunately, 26 seconds later the pattern repeats. Tapping Rewind and Play has a similar effect sometimes, but only works randomly.

1. Trying to skip forward (FF followed by Next) causes various issues at random. Sometimes it just skips to the next file. Sometimes it buffers and continues playing as per 4. Sometimes it skips forward 10 minutes as expected, but immediately goes into the slow down issue from 3, and will not come out of that mode no matter what I do. Sometimes it works as per 3 and 4.

1. Even though my setup has “Off” selected for the Subtitles setting, the MKV files always start up showing Subtitle number 1. I can manually turn them off again during playback, but this should not be happening in the first place. This does not happen with any other file type.

(snip) …

I’ve spent a few hours now trying to pin down why 1.04.10 seems to have problems playing some MKV’s over the LAN (I use Windows file shares to a Win7 x64 PC, not DLNA). Note that I say *SOME* MKV’s. Not all MKV’s in my library are having problems as I’ll explain below.

Like you, I have experienced the situation where FF/RW causes a pause of 15-20 seconds before play resumes. However, I noticed this is only with a collection TV series I obtained from my brother. Otherwise they play fne with no stuttering or audio dropout. They are low bit-rate (~1 Mbps) Xvid encodings and MediaInfo reports the writing application was an old version of MKVmerge 2.2. I do not know what my brother’s process/tool flow was for ripping and compressing these videos. In contrast, when I try FF/RW on all my full bit-rate blu-ray and DVD MKV rips, none of them exhibit the FF/RW pause problem!! Furthermore, I used various versions of MKVmerge 4.x (header compression always disabled) to split some of these MKV’s into multiple file chunks (no compression so they are all still full bit-rate) and none of these files exhibit the pause problem. Based on this limited set of evidence, perhaps the FF/RW pause problem is associated with files touched by older versions of MKVmerge.

Regarding the stuttering and audio dropout in #3, I’m having mixed results here as well (again, playing via LAN shares). All the videos I am about to refer to are full bit-rate blu-ray rips. They have video bit-rates of 20 Mbps to 30 Mbps and range in size from 15 Gb to 30 GB. None have been compressed or gone through any splitting. They all played fine with 1.03.29B and 1.03.39B. What I’m seeing is some of these MKV’s will stutter and drop audio within a few minutes of beginning playback. Some MKV’s will play longer before stuttering than others. Some are very prone to stuttering, while others will only stutter a few times and then play stutter-free. If I try to FF/RW after the stuttering begins, playback resumes OK for less than a minute, then often continues to stutter and drop audio. But not all my MKV’s have this problem! Some play just fine with no stuttering at all.

So I’ve been trying to figure out why some of my full-rate blu-ray MKV’s have the stutter problem while others don’t. I’ve been using MediaInfo to look at each file’s characteristics. But so far, I cannot find a common thread among the MKV’s that stutter.

The most interesting MKV’s I have were ripped with both MakeMKV and DVDfab. My Cloverfield MKV’s ripped with MakeMKV (v1.58 and v1.60) suffer from the stuttering problem with 1.04.10 and 1.03.49. However, my Cloverfield MKV ripped with DVDfab 8 does not stutter with any of the latest FW versions!! As a side-note, Cloverfield has a relatively high video bit-rate that averages 31 Mbps. 

So I almost came to the conclusion that the last two FW updates are somehow incompatible with full-rate MKV’s created by MakeMKV. But then I tried another movie, Pride & Glory, where I also had both a MakeMKV and DVDfab version. Both versions of Pride & Glory played stutter-free under 1.04.10!

At this point, I still don’t know why some MKV’s stutter under 1.04.1 while others don’t. The only thing I can say for certain is I’m only seeing stuttering on some high bit-rate (20 Mbps to 30 Mbps) blu-ray MKV’s. Some, but not all, of the MKV’s ripped by MakeMKV stutter. None of the MKV’s ripped by DVDfab stutter.

Not to belabor a point, and it is a holiday, but a good number of us pay for Playon Premium, and bought the WD Live Plus for the sole purpose of watching Hulu and other streaming channels. And now you’ve broken it, and I’m wasting money every day until you fix it.  Just so you know… I appreciate your quick efforts to resolve this issue.

You are belaboring a point that, no less than three times, has already been solved for you.  That gets pretty annoying.   ROLL BACK YOUR SOFTWARE.

JHeaven wrote:

Not to belabor a point, and it is a holiday, but a good number of us pay for Playon Premium, and bought the WD Live Plus for the sole purpose of watching Hulu and other streaming channels. And now you’ve broken it, and I’m wasting money every day until you fix it.  Just so you know… I appreciate your quick efforts to resolve this issue.

This will fix it for you. It will no longer be broken and your money will not be wasted. But you must know this!

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800

RichUK, thank you for your kind response.

I updgraded to this firmware yesterday. After struggling to watch a DVD last night, thought i’d post my results:

DVD VOBs over the LAN are completely hosed. They are stutteringly unwatchable almost instantly. Even some of the menus stutter before the video even starts. Completely unusable. I hooked up an external drive directly, and the VOBs played fine.

Other apps seemed fine, and the finding of network shares seemed improved. Unfortunately, the firmware is unusable for me b/c of the broken VOBs over LAN.

I downgraded to 1.03.49_B today. VOBs over LAN were back to working perfectly. One dvd menu didn’t work (no cursor, the WDTV just thought it was a video?), but mostly it’s ok.  At least the device is usable again.

I then upgraded to 1.04.10_B again, b/c the curiousity was getting to me. VOBs over LAN broken again. So it’s pretty clear this firmware has an issue.

Off to downgrade again… hopefully there’s a fix coming soon.

-HTJ