New firmware: Acces denied on Windows shares

after installing the new firmware, I can no longer access paths (using Windows explorer) below the Public/* paths, i.e.

\NAS\Public\Shared Music\*

\NAS\Public\Shared Pictures\*

\NAS\Public\Shared Videos\*

It looks to me as if Windows were using wrong credentials, but where can I check credentials Windows is currently using?

However, my own directory structures are not affected, i.e I can still access

\NAS\MyOwn\*

any suggestions?

Same here, the only way I can access drive is to use the WD2Go remote feature and even then I can’t see any folders in my public folder. I created a new folder and was able to move a file in there though. I wasted hours of tinkering with my network settings thinking it was maybe something with my windows 7 settings, but im glad I saw your post and confirmed its not my system or network settings. Hopfully WD will have a fix for us, or if I come accross something that works i’ll be sure to post back.

Only way I found to access the files on the MBL is to use  FTP, i downloaded FileZilla for free and was able to upload and download files to my drive. Im still hoping this is only temporary.   

what is the version of your new firmware ?

My MBL-3TB drive bought on 31Aug, it works for one week, then begin to encounter “remote access” status always appeared as failed. Trying to change boardband router, and also try to do fctory restore, the “remote access” status appear “ready” or “connected” for 1-2 minutes, then go back to “failed” status again.

MY MBL-3TB version is 2-11-09-053  (4/23/2012)

I unfortunatly upgraded to the newest firmware update that was pulled a couple days later because of the numerous complaints people were having with it after the upgrade. There is no way to rollback the firmware either.  I understand that another new firmware update will be available by the end of this week, so I am hoping that will also fix the access problems i’m having. 

Disconnect *ALL* the shares to the MBL from your PC.

Then log into your private share FIRST.

Then your Public shares should work OK.

If that still doesn’t work:

Use the NAME to map to your Private Shares

IE

\mybooklive\MyShare

and the IP for the Public

\192.168.1.10\Public

etc.

This is a limitation of Windows – only ONE set of credentials are used per server.

I actually had the same type of problem a few days ago. I tried restarting my computer thinking that maybe rebooting it would just refresh the system or something. I didn’t really do much to solve it. I just went to forums and read quick fix solutions (downloaded a fix file from pathtoodeep.com)…Really dis the trick…

bump this topic, getting frustated cause i put my important file on public…

please update the firmware

ankamez wrote:

bump this topic, getting frustated cause i put my important file on public…

please update the firmware

Firmware has nothing to do with it.  The issue is because of WINDOWS, in other words, the issue is your PC.

Read the thread, please…

im not so sure about it being a windows issue, I have three computers at home, two windows 7 and one windows XP, all three are unable to access the drive. Only way I can add, move or delete files from the drive is by using FTP. This problem started right after the firmware upgrade. I am hoping the next firmware will address the issue. 

The specific thing being addressed here IS a windows issue.

Once you’ve “authenticated” using “public” credentials, in Windows, you CANNOT then access using “private” credentials.

If you cannot access anything – ever – then there’s something else going on.

I have three Win7 boxes (including one running as a VM guest on a Linux host)

A Windows XP desktop

A Windows Vista laptop

All of them have no issues accessing any of the shares on the MBL.   

So there’s nothing “systemic” in the firmware that’s making it break…  

well if it so…

then i think my windows need some updates regarding MBL firmware lastest update…

i can’t open my public shares since i update.

all i can access just smartware and timemachine shares.

i’ve try make private share, but it always asking me for username and password that i dont create.

nevermind…i follow this fix and it works

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Can-t-Access-Share/td-p/316999