NEW BETA Firmware 1.03.49_V for WD TV Live [Reload]

richUK wrote:

There is no point in using the beta any more, the firmware has now gone live.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/New-Firmware-Release-Firmware-Version-1-03-49-V-for-WD-TV-Live/td-p/81247

oops! thanks richUK! i just didn’t see it… i guess i’ll have to start over again :wink: I wonder if there’s some difference with the latest beta.

No, it’s the same.

Problem with TV LG 32 LH5000. WD TV Live don’t save “Color space” HDMI settings. I manually choose “Video Output” = “1080p 60 Hz”, “Color space” = “RGB High”. After restarting of WD TV “Color space” returns to “Auto”, which looks like “RGB Low”. There wasn’t such problems with firmware 1.02.21

That’s because Color-Space was not determined using EDID handshake like it is now.

You can set your Colorspace MANUALLY though, because any display will accept the “WRONG” color space, which is what you’re doing.

Color-Space HIGH is for PC-type LCD panels where the color gamut is much wider.

Color-Space LOW is for TV-type panels where the color gamut matches the SMTPe industry standard.

Forcing Color-Space HIGH on a Television calibrated to SMPTe is basically clipping the white and black levels, giving the impression of higher CONTRAST or GAMMA.

I don’t understand why people insist on forcing the wrong format into their TV, but go ahead!  :)

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Color-Space LOW is for TV-type panels where the color gamut matches the SMTPe industry standard.

Tony,

Is this true of plasma tv panels as well?

Lyndon

Pretty much any TV, whether CRT, LCD, LED or Plasma, will be expecting SMPTE-type signal levels input into it.

And yes, if during the HDMI handshaking the TV says that “RGB High” is wrong, it’s seeming like the WDTV will get the proper colour space information from your TV and override what you’ve chosen, now that HDMI handshaking seems fixed.

I’ll futher state that my assumption above is just that; an assumption.   I don’t know exactly WHAT WD does with the EDID data; but it does appear to be doing MORE with it now than it was before  (Color Space, Color Depth, Audio formats, Aspect ratios, frequencies, Gamma correction, Audio Sample Rates, Bit Depths, etc. etc are all sent via EDID, but not all parameters are TRANSMITTED, nor is it required that the SOURCE OBEY all the data.)

In other words, the SINK may say that it does not support MPEG-2 Audio.   But the WD may ignore that and send it anyway…