NEW BETA Firmware 1.03.49_V for WD TV Live [Reload]

Here the NEW Beta now for ALL WD TV Live USERS:

Now from wd over official sources:

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/WDTV_Live_1.03.49_V.zip 

Your Ali Babaz

Thanks, Ali

I finally decided to download the new beta firmware because I was tired of “washing” many of the new h264 compressed

files, but it looks like WD closed the window on the downloads.  Does that mean they are ready to release the beta shortly?

Lyndon

@ Lyndon

This firmware was not officially limited release by WD. Only a few selected beta testers have to get it.

And now I would’ve uploaded for you all. It will be released this week an official firmware.

Your Ali Babaz

Lyndon wrote:

I was tired of “washing” many of the new h264 compressed files

So why create files using header compression in the first place?  Aren’t you making more work for yourself and then complaining about how much work it is?

RoofingGuy wrote:

Lyndon wrote:

I was tired of “washing” many of the new h264 compressed files

So why create files using header compression in the first place?  Aren’t you making more work for yourself and then complaining about how much work it is?

Sure thing, Mr. Roofing Guy!  If I knew I was “creating header compression” by downloading certain files, I guess I wouldn’t do it.  But I didn’t.  So, if I forgot to check with MKVfix, I would download the file to my thumb drive, sit down

to watch a little subbed anime, and find out that I would have to restore my defaults. And that was a pain in the a**!  When I complained that something was happnening, but I didn’t know what it was last month, some helpful forum members explained this to me.  They also suggested that the newer beta would solve this without the use of the mkv fix.  So that is what I am hoping for.  Is that clear?  Your comment that I am making a mess, and then complaining about it is wrong.  Some people are not as computer savvy as you, comprehende?:manindifferent:

Thanks again, Ali.  I don’t know if the new beta will help me with the situation mentioned above, but I appreciate your posting and hosting it.

Lyndon

Are you not paying attention? They aren’t working on Translations, they’re trying to fix HDMI issues.

Can bill_s confirm that this is indeed a legitimate beta update. All other betas and official info seem to originate from bill_s.

ali-babaz - Sorry for being a little skeptical but you have only 9 posts and the download link does not connect to a WD site.

I searched the WD site and can’t find any other reference to this beta!

If it doesn’t come from WD, it is illegitimate. It might be the real FW, but that doesn’t make it legit. IMHO, people who leak them to the public should be flogged.

Tony,

You are probably right, and forgive me if my memory is incorrect, but…

was it you that mentioned that this beta firmware solved my compression problems with h264 files?

And that was nearly a month ago in my thread requesting assistance.  How would you know unless you had access to the beta?

I don’t stay up on these things, so was that beta available for download at that time?

If I misquoted you, my apologies.  But a month or more from the beta to being released next week?

How long is it usually for beta to endorsed release?  I guess it depends on the product.

@ Dss_cottage

That is not the usual beta releases of wd but a version of the wd only to some user precipitated was sent to be tested whether these certain gross errors have been fixed before, this beta of a larger public.

The download and use as with any beta firmware is done at your own risk.

I only meant to help unite the people were eager to test this firmware. Whether they are downloading is now all his decision.

@ TonyPh12345

I’m sorry that you so think but that provide non-proprietary software is not illegal.

Sorry my english is not so good.

Your Ali Babaz

ali-babaz wrote:

I’m sorry that you so think but that provide non-proprietary software is not illegal 

Actually, unless Western Digital gave you a licence to distribute the software it’s very much infringing and against the licence with which you originally obtained the software.

Can you show us your distribution licence?

@ RoofingGuy

The firmware is available from wd to quote myself: “The zipped file contains the source code for third party copyrighted software licensed under the GNU General Public License (” GPL "), Which software may be used in WD TV ™ Live Player A copy of. The GPL may be found below or at http://www.gnu.org/. " Any final firmware version will release it, I think it is also a beta firmware under these terms.

If a WD admin says it’s not allowed or prohibited is because I will delete link otherwise I give everyone the opportunity to test the beta wants to do so.

Your Ali Babaz

Lyndon wrote:

Tony,

You are probably right, and forgive me if my memory is incorrect, but…

was it you that mentioned that this beta firmware solved my compression problems with h264 files?

And that was nearly a month ago in my thread requesting assistance.  How would you know unless you had access to the beta?

I don’t stay up on these things, so was that beta available for download at that time?

If I misquoted you, my apologies.  But a month or more from the beta to being released next week?

How long is it usually for beta to endorsed release?  I guess it depends on the product.

• *Yes, that was me… But a month ago, the active beta WAS announced publicly. The release being discussed now was NOT.

Yes, the firmware contains GPL code.  But it also contains proprietary code.

As the manuals state:

Firmware incorporated into this product _ includes _ third party copyrighted software licensed under the GPL (“GPL
Software”).

In accordance with the GPL:

1. the source code for _ the GPL Software _ may be obtained at support.wdc.com/download/gpl;

2. you may re-use, re-distribute and modify _ the GPL Software _;

3. with respect solely to the GPL Software, it is provided “as is” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, to the extent permitted by applicable law;

4. a copy of the GPL is included on the enclosed CD, may be obtained at www.gnu.org, and may also be found at support.wdc.com/download/gpl.

You can distribute the GPL sections of the code.  I’m sure things like DTS’ patent-protected code aren’t GPL, or DTS wouldn’t have bothered with the patent protection.

Understood.

Thanks again for your help, Tony.

Lyndon

ali-babaz wrote:

@ RoofingGuy

“The zipped file contains the source code for third party copyrighted software licensed under the GNU General Public License (” GPL "), Which software may be used in WD TV ™ Live Player

Dude, you have NO idea what you are talking about. The GPL gives WD the right to distribute THEIR code. It does NOT give YOU the right to distribute WDs code, specifically the proprietary code that is NOT subject to GPL.

ali-babas,

Thank-you for answering my question.

The copyright issue aside, if you have released your own version of the firmware, what have you included that is supposed to be an improvement?

There doesn’t sem to be any point in issuing new firmware if no one knows what it includes. Are we supposed to “buy a pig in a poke”?

I do not understand what it turns me so? This firmware is from WD and it was not modified by me. I got them from this source:

http://wdhd.ru/board/index.php?a=vtopic&t=2416

and it works. What has been fixed, I can not say before there was a 1:03:47 which only a small group of selected users has gotten, read more about this here

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/WDTV-Live-Limited-Public-Beta-Firmware-Version-1-03-43-V-10-19/td-p/69082/page/24

I let me not turn on more just because I give you the opportunity to use the current version. Link is deleted.

Your Ali babaz