Network speeds with the New OS 3

edit: tested the Mac mini read and write speeds to the Cloud. See post below.

One of the reason that I bought the Cloud was the network speed. For the price, the closest matching NAS was the Dlink which retailed for approximately $90 for a dual bay NAS without drives. If I remember correctly the Dlink had a read of 40MB/s and write of 20MB/s which was not impressive.

Back in 2014 when I first tested the Cloud for the network speed I got 85MB/s reads and 45MB/s writes on a 800MB file through a gigabit ethernet connection on a I7 PC.

I am currently copying all my files from my Old Cloud FW 3.04 over to my newly upgraded FW Cloud running OS 3 and the speed is remarkable.

I am getting a 62MB/s copy speed assuming that I’m getting 85MB/s reads from my old cloud, therefore I must be getting at least 62MB/s writes on the New Cloud running OS 3.

edit: I am now copying photos at which the copy speed is around 30MB/s.

Seriously this is pretty good for my second 4TB NAS/Cloud which cost me $160.

The other thing to note here is that my Mac that is still on yosemite, has no problems with a stable connection to OS 3. In fact I have my Mac doing a simultaneous copy from old cloud to new cloud with only a slight performance hit on the PC bringing it down to 58MB/s. edit: dropped down to 49MB/s but still pretty good for simultaneous copying. Also note that these are large multiple 800MB files rather than photos and mp3s of which there will be a speed hit.

Lastly, the cloud app on my iphone can connect, open movies, upload photos on FW 3.04 meaning that I can actually stay on FW 3.04 if I wish. I assume the only reason that I would need to upgrade my FW on my Cloud is for WD2GO.

Hi, thank you very much for sharing your results. Would you please share your network environment so users could see what it would take to average this kind of speed.

lluna_polanco wrote:

Hi, thank you very much for sharing your results. Would you please share your network environment so users could see what it would take to average this kind of speed.

My isp provider is with Shaw here in Vancouver, BC. thereby I’m using the default Cisco DPC3825 router which has 4 gigabit Ethernet ports which is connected to a Mac mini w/120SSD, an I7 PC w/240 SSD and two clouds (one is on OS3 and the other is FW version 3.04)

I’ve deactivated the two scans /etc/init.d/wdmcserverd and /etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd on both Clouds.

The copying is done on the PC using drag and drop of an entire photo folder.

I use to use teracopy which is probably faster but I noticed errors on the last versions that made me distrust the program; now I just drag and drop in explorer and then I use beyond compare to check out which files are missing as well as to verified the copies when done.

I think the faster speeds are due to the newer Samba in OS 3.

So with both Clouds converted to OS3, I did a speed test on my Mac by just using my iphone stopwatch and drag and drop from my cloud to my desktop, then from my desktop to my cloud in a different directory.

I repeated this test a few times to get a good average. Not accurate but well within my expectations. 

Dragged a 850MB file to my desktop and it took about 10 seconds, which means the read speed is still 85MB/s.

Dragged the same file to the Cloud (different directory) and it took about 15 seconds giving me about 56MB/s writes.

so the writes on Samba protocol has changed from 45MB/s in firmware version 3.04 to 56MB/s writes.

On the post above, I managed to get up to 62MB/s writes from a PC Windows 7.

So there you go… solid read and write speeds.