Netflix Canada

I take note of all the previous posts on this topic.  I believe the problem lies with Netflix and not WD.  Contacting them last week it seems they’ve been inundated with questions on this, but clearly have no direction nor have they mandated their representatives to discuss future introduction.  It’s up to them to add the WD Live Plus as a supported device, and I would guess there is thatt age old Canada licencing issue at play here.  A simple statement on thier site about the future of streaming devices would be a big step forward.

I haven’t seen any official statement from WD since October 2010. 

I’d also really appreciate an update from WD on when to expect Netflix Canada support. 

The only thing I have heard is “it’s on the product roadmap for next year”.  (and that was last year)

I don’t think that statement was ever made by WD… Where’d you see that?

Techically, there is nothing to prevent Netflix/WD Live Plus from working as it does down south.  If Netflix hopes to make a go of it in Canada, then they must stream to the same devices as the USA.  I can only conclude it’s a licencing issue - soemthing related to the prevention of streaming movies from some of the studios ‘Due to licencing restrictions, this show cannot displayed in your region’

This was the official view from WD

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Netflix-for-Canada/td-p/59328

We are currently looking into streaming Netflix for Canadian users.  However, we do NOT have any timeline as to when, if at all, this will ever happen.

TonyPh12345 wrote:
I don’t think that statement was ever made by WD… Where’d you see that?

I saw it here:  http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showtopic=20478&st=0&  post#6 by peter_m

I’ve cancelled my NetFlix account until it is supported on WD TV.  I advise other to do the same.  When you cancel, they ask you to fill out a survey.  Make sure you tell them you are cancelling because WD TV isn’t supported.

I dont know why people are so anxious to get Canada Netflix in the Live because their Canadian catalog is so lame. Nothing to do with the US one. They are offering 4 years old, obcure and boring movie releases which had no chance to make it to the screen. No recent  and popular releases in sight there. They bet that Canadiians are so stupid and ignorant that they can shove utterly ■■■■ at them. So you are not missing anything. Until they make the US catalog available to Canadians dont  dispair so much.

I’ve been poking around on some Roku and Boxee discussions. The general vibe is that this is a Netflix.ca decision not to support any streaming devices other than Apple TV. There is no technical reason these devices shouldn’t work with Netflix Canada.

OK WD… Here we go. Boxee is bringing Netflix to Canada… your direct competition. I am willing to wait a month or so but after that I will be compelled to look elsewhere for my streaming needs…

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/14/netflix-on-the-boxee-box-is-a-much-better-valentines-day-gift-t/

Is there any chance to get access to US catalogue using a VPN? A know it may be not legal or allowed?

I think WD needs to have a disclaimer on their package for programs like Netflix stating currently only supported in the US. The reason I picked up their WD Live TV plus was for the Netflix access, now I have to decide to either keep this device, or return it in 14 days. Already have a WD TV Live.

1 Like

Up_North wrote:

I think WD needs to have a disclaimer on their package for programs like Netflix stating currently only supported in the US.

You mean, like THIS:

1 Like

Just registered to add my complaint before boxing up and returning the device. Bought the WD TV Live Hub last night from Bestbuy, signed up for Netflix (Canada) but will have to return the gadget and cancel the account. It is odd to have Netflix available but not have the device receive it. Downloading netflix to computer is possible, but the entire idea is to have a media appliance usable by the entire family on the tv.

1 Like

I purchased this unit based entirely on the fact that you could watch Netflix,. That’s what Western Digital is advertising.  I checked with Netflix support in Canada and they lay the blame on Western Digital. Saying that WD  hasn’t  made an agreement with NetFlix Canada.

So what’s the deal here, will Canadian owners be able to watch Netflix or not?  Just a straight answer will do.  I don’t need to know what the marketing department has to say.

Thanks,

Mike

1 Like

Clearly Netflix has lost opportunity here in Canada, and for some, inexplicable reason, does not want to commutate future intentions.  I reiterate that there is no technical reason why they can’t stream to exactly the same devices as offered in the US.  For me, Netflix potential was the cherry on the top of a very capable media streamer, and I won’t be rushing out to replace it.

The concept of Netflix was appealing in so much as it promised to offer a reasonably affordable alternative to illegal downloading at a price significantly lower and more convenient than traditional rental.  For this we’d put up with lower quality than BD, and the absence of DTS HD and the like.  More difficult to swallow is the poor catalogue; largely influenced by the movie industry’s concern that Netflix will ruin their traditional distribution models.

So Netflix, you missed the boat.  Stop bombarding me with advertising banners unless you have something tangible to offer, and support not just my WD Live but also other devices that are capable.

Like many of you out there, I can’t fathom the motivation to shroud the whole thing in secrecy.  Come clean with us Netflix (and WD).  I’m sure we’re grown up enough to understand the issues, and will be far more likely to support you, if the service is ever offered.

duckysan1 wrote:

More difficult to swallow is the poor catalogue; largely influenced by the movie industry’s concern that Netflix will ruin their traditional distribution models.

No, the NetFlix catalogue in the U.S. is quite good, from what I understand.  By my understanding, from news reports and from commentaries, is that the distribution rights for a lot of the “good” content is already tied up… other compaines had exclusive rights to distribute, before NetFlix came along, so the content owners can’t sell distribution rights to NetFlix.ca.

For instance, a lot of the “first run” television shows that are available on NetFlix in the U.S., are exclusive to CTV up here, and NetFlix.ca can’t buy the rights to distribute them.  Similar contractual issues with a lot of movie catalogues.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/2178iA3D0A5E4306B5796/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

That is referring to the Netflix membership, which I do have a subscription for, and currently run in my house.  This disclaimer is misleading, and it should read “WD Live TV does not support Netflix in Canada”

Up_North wrote:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/2178iA3D0A5E4306B5796/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

That is referring to the Netflix membership, which I do have a subscription for, and currently run in my house.  This disclaimer is misleading, and it should read “WD Live TV does not support Netflix in Canada”

What bit of ‘US only’ don’t you understand? To me ‘US only’ means not Canada or in fact anywhere else in the world even if Netflix ia available. That box was probably printed before Netflix even announced their intention of streaming in Canada.

Guys, let’s quit squabbling about semantics.   For me, I was aware Netflix is not offered in Canada, and this did not influence my purchase decision.  However, like most folk out there I am most perplexed, and annoyed, about why Netflix Canada seems to be so hung-up about offering streams to the same devices as offered in the US.  Surely, if the content’s can be streamed to the game consoles and Samsung TV’s here in Canada, there can’t be a licence/copyright issue, can there?  Anyway, the purpose of raising the issue was to generate as much discussion, as possible with the hope that Netflix/WD will realise there is a demand.  I’ll certainly try a Netflix account.

I’m also In Canada, and will also try Netflix when supported on the Live Plus here, as this is the only unit i have

that has that capability