Netflix application don't work in Argentina

“You can think about it all ya want.   All you need to do is look at the Sigma reference document that shows which forms of DRM each processor is capable of decoding IN HARDWARE.”

See, now this I totally understand. All along what most of you have been saying is ‘the hardware needs to be different, blah blah blah’, which really made no sense because if chip A can run Netflix, then chip B can run Netflix, simple as that.

Now if you’re saying that chip A itself is incapable of running Netflix in a different country because it contains a TPM which cannot handle whatever DRM decryption is required then I get it. 

Then you went off the road again about graphics, because that is exactly what I am saying. If World of Warcraft (Netflix NA) can be played with ultra settings on a GT8800 (WD TV Live+) then World of Warcraft Z (Netflix LatAM) should be able to be played with ultra settings on a GT8800 (WD TV Live+). Period. Processing power and all that shouldn’t be an issue because these chips can handle the content.

But I get it now. You’re basically saying that Netflix LatAM uses different DRM completely in their streaming for countries outside of the U.S and that adding the DRM capability through firmware/software would be like changing a 32bit processor to a 64bit one (aka, can’t be done - for the most part). That’d be the analogy I’d use in this case. 

Parnott,

I don’t have a gripe with WD at all. As I mentioned, they could well be telling the truth in terms of requiring different hardware, it just struck me as odd (that a device which runs Netflix in country A isn’t able to do so in country B for whatever the reason - and most of you have been saying it requires different hardware but not a particular reason that it would) but what Tony has broken down makes perfect sense to me. If the chip doesn’t contain the instruction set or abiity to decode this different DRM, then so be it - a different chip would be required and that’s that.

Now to wait and see exactly what processor the new boxes use and what other STBs will go outside the U.S.

1 Like

Hi I’m from chile and I have the same problem, I can enable netflix, only for sale usa message and Canada. The distributors of this product should report on region boundaries or mention how it works and the limitations you may have. I hope that WD delivers a solution to this problem by hiring as many people as I can see NETFLIX and only on the computer. If anyone knows of any please proven solution to post in this forum.

Neoprimal wrote:

“You can think about it all ya want.   All you need to do is look at the Sigma reference document that shows which forms of DRM each processor is capable of decoding IN HARDWARE.”

See, now this I totally understand. All along what most of you have been saying is ‘the hardware needs to be different, blah blah blah’, which really made no sense because if chip A can run Netflix, then chip B can run Netflix, simple as that.

Now if you’re saying that chip A itself is incapable of running Netflix in a different country because it contains a TPM which cannot handle whatever DRM decryption is required then I get it. 

Then you went off the road again about graphics, because that is exactly what I am saying. If World of Warcraft (Netflix NA) can be played with ultra settings on a GT8800 (WD TV Live+) then World of Warcraft Z (Netflix LatAM) should be able to be played with ultra settings on a GT8800 (WD TV Live+). Period. Processing power and all that shouldn’t be an issue because these chips can handle the content.

But I get it now. You’re basically saying that Netflix LatAM uses different DRM completely in their streaming for countries outside of the U.S and that adding the DRM capability through firmware/software would be like changing a 32bit processor to a 64bit one (aka, can’t be done - for the most part). That’d be the analogy I’d use in this case. 

Parnott,

I don’t have a gripe with WD at all. As I mentioned, they could well be telling the truth in terms of requiring different hardware, it just struck me as odd (that a device which runs Netflix in country A isn’t able to do so in country B for whatever the reason - and most of you have been saying it requires different hardware but not a particular reason that it would) but what Tony has broken down makes perfect sense to me. If the chip doesn’t contain the instruction set or abiity to decode this different DRM, then so be it - a different chip would be required and that’s that.

Now to wait and see exactly what processor the new boxes use and what other STBs will go outside the U.S.

Dude, just SELL your NA L+ and either buy the LA L+ or another media player from another brand.