Need steps to get to dashboard remotely

Folks, I’ve been trying various things to get to my EX2 dashboard remotely, but have had no success. In fact for some reason within the last few months even FTP stopped working (and it used to work) using Cyberduck and I hadn’t changed anything with the router.

Setup is Timewarner to Apple Airport (as the router), then the EX2 Ultra on the network.
I’ve tried ports 80 and 443 and can’t get it to work.
The port forward settings the EX2 Ultra always fails when it’s checking my external and internal ports.

Can someone layout some steps. Perhaps I am using the wrong combination of external and internal ports. Does it matter if I used the IPv4 or IPv6 address? Something that does confuse me is why do port forwarding settings need to be configured on the EX2 Ultra. I would think if my router is configured to send web traffic (on 80 or 443) to my EX2 Ultra’s internal IP, won’t that invoke the web interface?

Port forwarding allows to reach internal ip only as part of security measure. Ofcourse the WD have security like password.

Is timewarnet is router or modem. I can see the apple airport is the router where the wd ex2 ultra is connected wired.

if the timewarner is router/modem then it may drop the packet. So you need to figure out to port forward the traffice from timewarner to airport to nas

any web ip for custom nas port you can specific while setting to airport assigned by timewarner and that has to be forwarded to wd fixed ip it is important.

Same any ip hitting the internal port is 443 has to be hitting the assigned ip to nas.

I asked a similar question to yours, and as you will see I received an explanation/solution that is likely yours, too. My problrm was I would often loose remote connection to the My Cloud when using the My Cloud app. It so happens that if the router is rebooted (for any reason) the My Cloud will close the ports forward to the internet. Home network is unaffected. The solution is to reboot the My Cloud after any router reboot ro reset the NAS’s ports to proper working condition again. See rhis link, and let me know what you think.