Need some help with Gen 3 media player

Joey is there any way you could talk me through the steps of putting the official firmware back on my gen 3 i have read the readme file a couple of times but dont totally understand the steps thank you and i appreciate it very much

There’s 2 way to get back to running a stock WDTV …depending on custom firmware type you’re using.

First Method: If you’re using the flashdrive inserted method (2.02.32-EXT3_Palace_Plus-0.1.4)

then simply double the win-homebrew-stockify.bat script then check the homebrew is disabled by clicking win-homebrew-status.bat … if all good, then power off the WDTV and remove the flashdrive

Second Method: If you have “flashed” custom firmware on your WDTV … then the first thing you need to do if find out what version you are running.

eg. on your WDTV Remote, press SETUP button, then select ABOUT … you should see something like this …example: 1.02.21.WDLXTV_LIVE-0.4.2.0

Now … download any Official WD Firmware (does not matter if it’s the oldest or newest)

Once downloaded … open the wdtvlivegen3.ver using Microsoft Notepad (or any word editor)

you will see something like this …

VERSION=‘3.03.20’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.bin’
PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.pkg’
ROOTFS2='wdtvlivegen3.bi2

Now, if you are running WDLXTV (as per the exmaple above … 1.02.21.WDLXTV_LIVE-0.4.2.0)

You need to edit the Official WD Firmware “version” to Exactly that, BUT with a Higher Number (to trigger the “Detected New Firmware” prompt on the WDTV

Example: Editing the WD Firmware *.ver file

VERSION=‘2.02.21.WDLXTV_LIVE-0.5.2.0’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.bin’
PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.pkg’
ROOTFS2='wdtvlivegen3.bi2

Save and close Notepad … then go through the normal firmware flashing procedure (don’t worry about version numbers the WDTV reports)

At the end of a Successful WD Firmware Flash … if you check Setup > About, you will see the WDTV will report the correct Official Firmware Number

Joey thank you so much for your help with both my gen 2 plus and gen 3 both are back on official firmware and ready for resale

no worries

Joey i have a quick question a buddy of mine wants to buy one of my wf units but his tv does not have hdmi only composite and component do you know of an aftermarket av component or composite cable that will work on these units i know that the pin placement on the 3.5mm jack and the wiring has to be correct for it to work properly i tried one that i had at home for my camcorder but couldnt get it to work on the component i found a deal on the internet about hooking it up to the composite side that i will try tonight but it uses all 3 plugs so i am guessing no audio unless you use the optical for audio

just swap the colored plugs around where you plug them in … read this old post of mine (i still applies to the Gen 3)

Hi, if there’s someone who still looks at this forum, I just found my old WD Live streamer gen 3 and connected it to my tv and I would like to know if there ever was a newer firmware update than 2.02.32 and if there is how can I get it. This is a great device that I enjoyed for a long time. Thanks.

There was a 2.03.20 version … but it mostly just a maintenance release which removed online services that were no longer supported and fixed some issues with online services which are most likely no longer supported and no longer work 7 years later.

Here’s a direct download link to it below… but, personally speaking, if everything is working fine for you now, then i wouldn’t bother updating.

But if you do decide to update the firmware and something goes wrong then you’ll have to find firmware 2.02.32 and attempt a firmware rollback.

The decision is yours … i take no responsibility

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvlivegen3_2.03.20.zip

Thanks a lot for your quick reply, I think I’ll just leave it as it is then. Do you know if there’s a way to get a usb dvd working on this box. Thanks again.

Officially. there is no support for USB DVD Players.

But, someone on this forum claims to have got one working …but, there’s no guarantee any brand will work, and it must have a “AV Connectivity” mode and the person doesn’t state whether he tried Commercial DVD’s (with Encryption) or just burnt DVD’s with mp4/mkv on them.

Personally, i would not recommend spending (wasting) your money on a USB DVD in the hopes of it working … it most likely won’t.

If you stick to ripping your DVD Collection to an External USB Harddrive in either VOB Structure Format or ISO Image File … that will 100% be Supported by the WD TV.s

Back in Standard Definition days i used to rip my DVD’s to ISO on a 4TB USB HDD connected to the WD TV … worked perfectly, complete with DVD menu navigation, extra features and of course the movie.

Thanks for your reply, I have the Samsung SE-208DB usb player and it states that it has AV Connectivity but I honestly don’t know what they mean with AV Connectivity. Is there a setting that I need to change on the WD for that or just plug the DVD? I plugged it in the rear and front usb ports but it didn’t work. Just curious. Thanks for your help.

It 's in your Samsung SE-208DB’s User Manual. Page 15

What does the “AV Connectivity” mean ?
Although a normal ODD cannot be connected to a TV directly, the
product can be connected to devices (such as TV) that support
USB interfaces and can then be used as a USB memory device. “AV
Connectivity” refers to this functionality.

Keep reading Page 15 on how to activate AV Connectivity mode.

There are no settings on the WD TV for a USB DVD because it’s not Officially Supported.

You will also find nothing in the User Manual regarding USB DVD’s.

So, activate AV Connectivity mode on the Samsung and plug it into the WD TV and hope for the best.

If it doesn’t work, then there’s nothing you can do about … but, hey, at least it was worth a try :slight_smile: