MyCloud v2.xxxx 4tb Brick after last updated to OS5

I can’t belive WD released OS5 for older devices “not intentionaly”. For sure they should test it on all devices. It looks like somebody in WD had great idea how to increase selling new MyClouds - "lets destroy/damage old MyClouds, and users will run and buy the new one… " :smiley: :smiley:
Yeah, right :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

After many attempts I managed to solve brick my cloud. I have same problem as you guys. What I did is next.
After many resets no success.
I managed to asces to dashboard and control device for 5-10min but it brick again.
I think indexing is problem.
So I pull out hdd instal linux driver and save my data.
Then i put back hdd inside and when i put device in power after first screen to log in I loged wih my password and get message that device is booting up please wait.
Then I reload page and get in dashboard (blue light was still blinking).
But I think it’s limited control and I didn’t have all main icons (cloud ascess).
I go to settings and format disc.
after 5-10 times of trying.
And I managed to format disc.
After that my cloud start to work normaly.
Nexi I have done is: dics test, sistem test, analyze disc and do the factory reset.
Then I set up it like new and now 7 days work normal and fast. I’m still testing it but no problem. I copy 50% procent data 250gb and still working normal. I hope this is help cheers

2 Likes

I have the same problem with Dashbord UI and drive is also not stable since I had to restart - hard by yanking power
Is there an option to revert back or fix the UI or MyCloud Setting. Attached old thread:
(Dashboard UI -- not able to access - #2 by Bennor)

How does one gets access to logs without access to Dashbord. Please advice

Hi All, an update to my early post from a few weeks past. I never managed to resolve the problems I was having with continuous indexing and flashing blue light for weeks at a time, basically the update to new firmware and OS5 was not completed and the device would index for a little while then disconnect and need hard reset, I eventually worked out that I could log on to it very briefly after unplugging it and performing a 40 second reset (took a number of attempts), after less than 3 minutes it would just start flashing the blue light and then disconnect and do nothing for days at time, to cut a long story short it was stuck in an endless loop. I raised a support call through official channels and explained the problem repeatedly and kept answering WD’s replies doing what they suggested and at the same time complaining bitterly that they had bricked my device with a faulty update, I escalated the call many times and eventually ground them down, they offered a 20% discount on future purchases which I declined saying why would I buy another WD product if you can at any given time break it with a faulty update, I directed them to their own forums pointing out I was not the only one with this problem. Eventually they caved in and sent me a replacement device after I returned the broken one, I was out with the warranty period as well. Thankfully the replacement device shipped with OS3 and that is how it will remain. Hopefully you all can get the same result as me if you are polite and persistent with WD customer support. Good Luck.

Hi there. I have the same problem. Updated my v2 My cloud NAS to os5, it finished indexing, I can access the dashboard, but… I could no longer access via app, web access nor Time machine could find the disk either. Please need help with this

WD Sync is no longer supported (since end of 2019) and is not supported under OS5. Either use the WD recommended GoodSync or use a third party sync program.

WD Sync End of Support
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29023

GoodSync Free and Premium for WD My Cloud
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29077

See the following WD Support Knowledgebase Article which has a matrix of which software is supported and not supported under OS5.

My Cloud OS 5: Feature Differences Between My Cloud OS 3 and My Cloud OS 5
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29389

There are specific mobile (iOS/Android) apps for OS5 as well.

https://www.mycloud.com/#/apps_mycloud

1 Like

Many Thanks. I just realize that WD Sync is no longer supported by OS5. However, Goodsync cannot connect to the NAS, I can’t access NAS content via web access nor IOS app. This message appears:
It says " No NAS Associated. Your account is not compatible with My Cloud NAS."
But is not correct, because during I could access during the indexing, but after it finished, I couldn’t.

First step is to try accessing the My Cloud Dashboard. If you disabled Cloud Access/Remote Access in the Dashboard in order to fix the indexing issue that certain My Cloud units experience, you will have to reenable that setting in the Dashboard in order to access the device using the Mycloud.com web portal and certain mobile apps.

While in the My Cloud Dashboard one can check to ensure users are granted remote access to the My Cloud. More information about the My Cloud OS5 settings can be found in the OS 5 User Manual: https://products.wdc.com/nas0s5/nasum/en/

Various solutions to OS5 issues including certain remote access issues can be found in the following WD Support Knowledgebase Article.

My Cloud OS 5: Online User Guide and Solutions
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29633

1 Like

Thank you very much again Bennor!!. I was checking out those things about remote access, and they are ok (I try to disable and the reenable the access and all stay the same). What I’m thinking is that while installing OS5, when the system tells to create a new account, many I screw something up. Is there any chance to access the account config or to check why it didn’t recognize the account compatible with the NAS?
Many thanks in advance

I’ve had MyBookLive & WDMyCloud drives for nearly 15yrs… and CONSTANT issues with visibility etc.

HOWEVER, to the recent problem. WDMYCLOUD 4TB was sitting on version 2.x of the firmware when I believed the lie that I needed to upgrade to OS5.

Went through the LONG process of watching the lights for hours… now finally… solid blue light. My Network can see the drive, but I’m receiving the message on the Smartware that there is NO PARTITION on the drive. its not even possible to repartition. I’ve lost 4TB of various media inc professional photos.

Anyway, this is more than a moan… I’m just wondering if ANYONE out there has had this NO PARTITION message? I’m tempted to rip the drive out and try using some linux reader to see if I can access the data… but am I too late? Is my data gone?

Thanks…WD Support is as unless as a fart in a spacesuit.

WD Smartware is not supported on My Cloud OS 5.
You should still be able to access the WD Smartware content on your My Cloud that was updated to My Cloud OS 5 using Windows Samba.