Mycloud trasfer rate is very slow

Hello,

I bought a new Mycloud 2TB to my small office (2 PC computers, Win 7, wired connection, 1GB ethernet swich) and it’s extremely slow - It takes about 10 seconds to open a 3mb JPG file. I tried to change the cable and the port - but I get the same result. The led light is green, and I don’t have any idea what else can I do…

How are you accessing the files?   Through some application (like the My Cloud Desktop app?) … or just an ordinary network share connection?

Just through the network share connection.  I tried to connect the drive directly to the computer’s ethernet port (without a router or a switch - just a cable between the computer and the mycloud) and I got the same result. It’s so slow that I can hardly get the thumbnail preview of the files.

My setup is My Cloud to my router by CAT6 cable and my computers etc. connect by wifi.

I just opened a 17.1 MB photo by right clicking it then clicking preview. The time for it to open and focus was around 3 seconds.

To double click and open the same photo took around 13 seconds. It opens in Quicktime Picture Viewer.

To open it using paint took about nine seconds and about the same in Quicktime Picture Viewer.

I opened the picture by going to my Network then WDMyCloud and the share that has pictures.

It’s not the viewer. The file transfer speed is about 5 mb/sec (direct cable, 1GB port)

Have you tried on other computers?

Yeshuv wrote:

It’s so slow that I can hardly get the thumbnail preview of the files.

Is it ALL files that are slow, or is this specific to image files?

Here is another suggestion for starting a troubleshooting of the problem. Have you gone into devices and printers to check out the My Cloud? See image below. Place pointer at WDMC device and right click. I suggest looking at properties first and then troubleshoot if everything in properties looks alright.

Maybe this will help.

Posted by,

cat0w

I tried it on a different computer, and on another router - same result.   

Copying a folder with 125 photos - total size  250 MB - 45 seconds

Copying a single video file size 1.4 GB - 23 seconds    

I work mainly with 4-5 MB image files size , so the slow response of the drive makes it useless for me.  

1.4 GB in 23 seconds equates to 61 megabytes per second.  That’s not what I would call slow at all.

And 250 MB of photos in 45 seconds equates to about 6 megabytes per second, or about 3 seconds per file.

The slower speed copying lots of small files is a little slower than I would expect…   Have you tried disabling the unneeded services such as the iTunes server and Media Server?

Reply to: Yeshuv

Sounds to me like you had a big improvement. You wrote in post #5 you were getting only 5 Mbps and now as Tony said around 61 MBps. How can you say same result.

Posted by,

cat0w

There is no improvement, because I’m working mostly with pictures, not with large video files.  For example, I’m trying to choose a picture from a 94 files folder (average file size about 2.5mb) - It takes more than two minutes to see the thumbnails, and about 10-15 secounds to open each file.  It is impossible to place a picture in Adobe Illustrator, because every mouse move freezes the software for long seconds.

iTunes and Media Server are off.

What kind of computers are you using?

I have a Gateway DX4860 running Windows 7 SP1, Quad core Intel i5 3.00 GHz processor, 12 GB of RAM and 2 TB Hard Drive. When I work with pictures and video I use it.

My Laptop is not quite as powerful. Dell N5030 running Windows 7 SP1, Dual Core processor 2.30 GHz, 3 GB of RAM, 283 GB Hard Drive. I just viewed some files and pictures on it from My Cloud and it loaded the thumbnails and images fairly fast.

Windows 7 SP1 64bit 3.4 GH with 8gb ram

Simple test to make sure it is not a network issue, transfer a large file via explorer and check the speeds.  If you’re getting 40+ MB/s on a gig connection, then its not the issue with transfer speed.

I wrote before that one large file is working well, but I’m not working with large files - just folders with 4-5mb pictures

Transferring small files takes longer becuase the receiver has to “create” the file along with permissions, attributes, etc…open connection, transfer packets, write contents to file, close connection and repeat for every file.  Then add seek times of your harddrive to the factor when reading / writing. 

Google “slow transfer rate with small files”  

Yeah, but this problem is only with this device - shared folder with the same files on other computer - and it’s fast as **bleep**…

Think about it, wd my cloud is a dual core 600mhz with 256mb of ram (this is slower than most smart phones on the market today).  How fast is your other pc that you are transferring too?  Transfer between two computers requires resources from both source and destination and will only go as fast as the slowest computer.  The my cloud has to process every file that comes in, so when you’re doing bulk transfers of smaller files, it has to process every file

so Mycloud is not good for sharing photos?