Mycloud software installs unrequested Bonjour Apple sofware

I have installed today the last version of WDMyCloud_win (version 1.0.4.37) on my 2 PC.

I observed that the Bonjour software of Apple has been installed simultaneously on the 2 PC without any information and or acceptance of user …

Could you explain ?  

Open up the app and look at the About. See images below.

WDMyCloudbonjour2.JPG

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Thanks for your answer.

Could you confirm that if Bonjour Apple software is uninstalled, WD Quick View functionning is no more guaranteed ?  

EU_user wrote:

Thanks for your answer.

Could you confirm that if Bonjour Apple software is uninstalled, WD Quick View functionning is no more guaranteed ?  

It’s not Apple’s Bonjour software.

It’s an open-source package as described in that ABOUT screen above.

I am sorry but I maintain that the Apple Bonjour software is installed  simultaneously with WD Quick View.

The 2 pictures show it clearly. Are you convinced ?

It is not important for me .

I only search the reason for bad functionning of my MyCloud 2To when I connected an USB device ( I had uninstalled the Bonjour soft).

Please confirm me if the Bonjour soft is necessary or not  for good functionning of my Mycloud.

EU_user wrote:

I am sorry but I maintain that the Apple Bonjour software is installed  simultaneously with WD Quick View.

The 2 pictures show it clearly. Are you convinced ?

In your first post you said you installed WD My Cloud, and now you’re talking about WD Quick View.   

Two totally different software packages.  Which one are you worried about?

WD Quick View does NOT INSTALL BONJOUR.

As far as WD My Cloud goes, Yes, it DOES require you to accept the Bonjour / Bonjour Print Services installation:

Untitled.png

If it did not ask you to accept the license, then you probably already had it installed from another source (such as iTunes or something)

it is not required for the mycloud. it probably is required for the quick view app which isn’t needed

there is no software required on a PC to us the mycloud, you configure it through a browser and access it through explorer

I use smartware for backups and rearly the desktop app and even these arn’t needed

there is a lot of issues using USB drive on the mycloud and this is seperate from anything installed on the PC

To find out more information about the as3bonjour if you are on a Windows PC click on Start>Computer>Local Disk C and look under Programs Files X86>Western Digital>WD My Cloud>as3Bonjour.

Under Program Files I found information on Bonjour and Bonjour Print Services.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Thanks for yours explanations.

Next time I will take care to read  the name of the software for which the license must be accepted : it can be different from the name of the software wanted for installation…

I conclude that Apple Bonjour software is part of WD My Cloud .

Hence, if Bonjour is delete, WD My Cloud cannot show good functionning :

In fact I observe now that several concerns disappeared ( I have not checked with usb device).

This does remind me that I find the User Manual to be rather shambolic, in that it doesn’t make it clear that WD offer a plethora of methods to setup, access and maintain the MyCloud, not to mention photo apps, etc.

If all you want is local access, then I think everything can be done via the HTML Dashboard.

If you blindly followed all the steps in the manual, you’d end up installing a whole lot of unnecessary software.  For instance, installing the remote access s/w is covered quite early on, and is pretty pointless for a desktop computer…  I installed it, thinking I needed it simply to access my NAS locally.  Of course, I don’t; that’s much simpler.  Probably just as well, as the remote access UI appears as white text on a white background, so is unusable…

The manual needs attention from an editor who isn’t intimately familiar with the operation, and doesn’t ‘know too much’…  Start with basics of getting it connected to your network, getting files to and from it, and then clearly explain the remote access options.

Unfortunatly you are correct. Removing Bonjour screws up the My Cloud. When I removed the Bonjour quick veiw stopped working and I lost back up access to the My Cloud Drive. If I knew that I would have to install it I would not have bought this drive

monksblood wrote:

Unfortunatly you are correct. Removing Bonjour screws up the My Cloud. When I removed the Bonjour quick veiw stopped working and I lost back up access to the My Cloud Drive. If I knew that I would have to install it I would not have bought this drive

I don’t think you’re paying attention.

Removing Bonjour will not screw up the My Cloud.  It may prevent Quickview from working, but Quickview isn’t necessary to operate the My Cloud NAS.  There’s no requirement at all to install it.

I agree with Tony. You don’t need a single app form WD. All shares are available under networks. All SMB shares, nothing to configure.

Even, if you install QuickView it does NOT install Bonjour.

None of my machines who has quickview installed Bonjour.

all Windows 8.1 pro.