Before you RMA your Device ... let's talk about your problems!

This is a little grey box - it's a page format
use the </> icon on the compose bar to apply

As for your problems with Linux, well, yes, the MyCloud is a consumer device, and you’re not really supposed to have to tinker ‘under the hood’ with the Linux OS. But, for people who have an idea of what they are doing (I only tinker), it’s a useful way of figuring out what is going on when it doesn’t work properly. It really shouldn’t be necessary, if the thing worked properly. But it doesn’t…

Comparing your process (PID: Process ID) with mine, you have these extras:

/bin/bash /usr/local/sbin/getShareSize.sh
/usr/sbin/afpd -d -F /etc/netatalk/afp.conf
/usr/sbin/cnid_dbd -F /etc/netatalk/afp.conf -p /Dat
[flush-8:0]
[flush-9:1]
du -sbL /shares/BackUps
xargs -0 -I {} getShareSize.sh {}

Which backs up what rac8006 said

nfsd?

Google is your friend. Really.

It’s an NFS daemon - a Network File Server task.

Have you tried a System Only Restore…?

Have a look at Mirrorfolder software. It will create an effective and simple mirror using your computer and an external drive. I’ve been using it since 2007.

Paul

http://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/

cpt,

Performed a system only restore. After the restore did the following.

Reset my admin user (me) and Password. Changed all Shares permission back to public share OFF. Changed all shares back to Media Serving OFF. Turned Media Streaming OFF. iTunes server OFF. Cloud access OFF. BTW: a new TimeMachineBackup share was created by the restore, renaming my old one as TimeMachineBackup2.
Then did the ‘SSH - 4 commands’ thing.
And lastly, did a reboot.

First transfer of 13GB went at about 10MB/sec. Significantly higher than the 0.5 - 1.0 MB/sec of the previous ‘standard’ case. But still under the initial 30 MB/sec I obtained on the virgin box. Then…
Same background chatter starts up again. Do a few more file transfers with rates ranging from 12.5 to 14.6 MB/sec. Maybe I should be happy with this?

Still hanging in there.

Just tried a WIFI transfer, seeing that this will be my normal mode of connection after my initial data is loaded and first backups are performed on MyCloud.

With the same file transfers I am getting 4.3 to 5.6 MB/sec transfer rates. Only a factor of 3 less than the direct gigabit ethernet connection. Again, I ask: Maybe I should be happy (satisfied) with this?

dave

I purchased my product a couple of days ago, and I could not believe the lack of intuition displayed in creating the user’s manual and the quick start guide. I consider myself above average in following directions and instructions. I’ve never had such a hard time setting up an electronic product until I tried the WD my cloud. After spending a couple of days going back and forth with the installation process by going through a manual that does not follow a logical sequence and does not include intuitive instructions, I’m ready to return this product. Although this thread seems to provide most the of the solutions to the problems I encountered, it still feels like I’m taking an online class. If an electronic product does not allow for an easy plug and play experience, the manual should have instructions with an easy-to-follow sequence. The instructions need to allow the customer to have the product up and running without having to go back and forth different pages or sources outside the manual. For example, WD Sync instructions need to be easily integrated in the manual. When I saw the online help instructions to WD Sync, it shows the company did not want to spend the money in creating an easy-to-do guide. As a technical writer, the main advice I can give you is to divide the manual based on tasks that build upon each other and explain key concepts for somebody that just found out about personal cloud storage. I’m purchasing the Lacie Cloudbox as it has been touted for the easy set up process. The company might want to find out what they’re doing if they want new learners and customers of personal iCloud storage to stay with the WD line of products. Otherwise, you will only get buyers with the same knowledge base as the good gentleman who started this thread post.

Ah, someone who talks sense; that’s exactly the approach I’ve suggested a number of times in the past…

I’ve concluded that the manual was cobbled together from at least two parts; one written by the automated setup team, one written by the Dashboard team. The former is very bad. The latter isn’t so bad. But both seem to be written by the development teams, so they ‘know too much’, and forget that their target audience know nothing about the device, and may not know much about computers or networking. Breaking Rule #1 of writing consumer technical manuals.

And finally…

1 Like

yup… WD My Cloud is the first product (other than Microsoft Windows) to receive my full attention for days/weeks/months on end; in fact it is coming up 2 years since I bought my first Cloud. However now that I’ve managed to pacify the device, it is a great little device that requires very little maintenance until the next firmware upgrade.

If you want WD full attention you should re-post your post in the forum instead of this thread where they may or may not see it.

I do agree that the device seems to provide great features and I don’t doubt that it’s a good product. My problem is basically one of educating new customers like myself on the practical use of it. A lot of the replies on my post provided a great explanation of the problem with the user’s guide as well as educating the general public. After reading some of the comments, I’m pretty sure I pushed around to many buttons using all the applications provided, and the device was not able to understand what I was doing. As a person who learned about personal cloud storage last week, I couldn’t even call support since I wasn’t able to come up with specific questions or identify the problems. Once the user’s guide is updated for newbies like myself, then I’m sure the product will live up to my expectations. For now, I will try other products with information I can digest.

What I meant was that I agree with you that the product is an absolute disaster in the way it performs, the user interface was written by a kid out of high school (really seriously). There are no Quality checks before they release a new firmware. Version 3.04 locks you out of the drive disallowing you to SSH into it. OS 3 will not recognize certain USB drives and it still locks the unit when you attach a USB drive full of files. There are no useable user manuals.

I spent the last two years on this device, fighting with it. The last software that I had this much problems was Microsoft Windows.

2 Likes

The problems one will have with the My Cloud is directly related to how they use it. Normally and generally I don’t have any problems with the unit using Windows 7, several android devices, and several Roku devices. Its when I attempt to use certain features (like the USB port) is where problems start. Have a family member who uses a My Cloud as well and they don’t have any problems with theirs as far as I know.

Whether WD wants to hear it or not, the firmware is a mess. The Dashboard is a mess. The Twonky/Dashboard integration or lack of integration is a mess. Like Ralphael said it seems like the firmware was written by high schoolers. There are several long documented problems with the media scanning. Several long documented problems with the USB implementation on the device. The firmware issues are fixable, unknown if the USB implementation is fixable through firmware or is a hardware problem.

1 Like

Hello, I just received the My Cloud but live on an island with only a portable modem. Therefore I cannot plug in the ethernet cable into a hard landline and the modem device does not have an applicable socket either. Does this mean I cannot use the my Cloud device? Please help. I waited ages for this and was so excited. I am sick of sales talk which always say, “just plug it in and go”.

The My Cloud is designed to be plugged into the networking port on a router (or switch/hub) on the local network using an Ethernet cable. In a pinch the My Cloud can be directly connected by Ethernet cable to the computer’s network port but one looses the ability for other network devices to access the My Cloud when it is directly connected to a computer rather than a router. But normally one connects the My Cloud to their network router (or wifi router).

If you have not already done so you may want to take some time to read through the My Cloud User Manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=439&type=25) which explains how to set up the device and the various options and features of the device.

Thank you very much Bennor. Unfortunately, my modem does not have a socket for the cable provided (indeed has no external sockets). I tried connecting directly into the back of the computer which is wifi enabled but that did not work either. I did not buy the device for the Cloud function, but more of a convenient back up to all my apple devices. Thank you for your time and links. Appreciate it although did not help. Kind regards, Tea

You can connect the My Cloud direct to the computer. You may have to disable or adjust WiFi settings in order to do so however. Some computer WiFi adapters will not allow the computer Ethernet port to operate while WiFi is enabled. Some WiFi adapters come with software that will switch the network connection from WiFi to Ethernet port when it detects an Ethernet port connection.

The trick to using a direct Ethernet connection to the computer with the My Cloud is to ensure both the Ethernet port on the computer and the My Cloud are using IP addresses in the same subnet. generally a device will default to an IP address in the 169.xx.xx.xx subnet range when there is no DHCP server present and no static IP has been set.

See the following link which discusses how to setup a Mac to have both WiFi and Ethernet active at the same time.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/142482/set-mac-to-use-wifi-for-internet-ethernet-for-local-file-transfer

1 Like

To be fair to WD, the requirement for an Ethernet cable connection is pretty clear, and nowhere does it claim to be accessible by WiFi. If you only have a WiFi access modem, you won’t be able to connect your MyCloud directly to it; you don’t have anything to ‘plug it in and go’…

Using a WiFi to Ethernet extender, you ought to be able to create a wired access point. You will need to figure out where in the system to position any router function

If you have a RJ45 (Ethernet) connection to your laptop you should be able to connect your MC. You may have to go thru network setup to get the Ethernet connection working.
Once connected you should be able to share the MC to other device on the network. But the transfer rate will be slower over the WIFI connection.

RAC

I’ve the same problem since installing the update. Tried powering off, then on a few minutes later. I just get no device found on your network.

Hi guys!
Today I`ve got a brick in my WD Cloud 3Tb version.
In progress of firmware update in gui, catch a trouble, while updating.

Now, I dont have access in web gui - only unlimited loading. Dont have ssh or ftp access - time out of connection.

Thanks WD for perfect firmware updating process.

Guys, do you have any advice for what I can do now? Can I resolve this issue by myself?

You do just plug it in and go, but you have to own the socket to plug it into in the first place. It’s like buying a TV when you don’t have electricity and blaming the sales pitch for not telling you you needed electricity. What did you think it was? I mean it’s a NAS, network attached storage, sort of gives it away really, you need a network to plug it into. It’s probably best to do a bit of research before you buy stuff, and if you don’t, you shouldn’t blame the sales pitch for what is you own mistake

1 Like

I think your reply is intended for Tea_Clougher…