MyCloud - How I Do A Remote Reboot With No Remote Access

So I do like the MyCloud device. Ticks all the boxes for me. Especially after I managed to sort out my Port ForwardingIssue.

But one thing that still bugs the living c#@p out of me is the unreliability of the Remote Access. Many times I get locked out and unable to access my drive because of the remote access issue. And we all know that you can’t reboot the device remotely, working or not.

So my workaround it to force a power cut…

Basically I use a WiFi Smart Plug to cut the power to the device, wait 30 seconds and then resume the power.

This then reboots and initilizes the device, in approximatley 5 mins.  And in doing so restores remote access.

I use this WiFi Smart Plug…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orvibo%C2%AE-Automation-Control-Samsung-Smartphone/dp/B00PQ0KNBA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1435766082&sr=1-1&keywords=orvibo

Now I know a lot of you are saying you shouldn’t do this…It will harm or break the Cloud device, but until it becomes more reliable, it’s the only work-around I can think of. I only have Movies and TV shows so it’s not the end of the world to me if it bricks the Cloud.  The Cloud is actually the back up of all my media anyhow…

So this is my work around and I thought i’d share this with you…Enjoy.

Hello,

Thank your for sharing your experience with us.

How reliable is the could access for that wifi smart switch… I’ve read some bad reviews in the google play store that the remote control over the internet doesnt work all the time?

I too have my doubts, but in the settings there is an additional security password that I use to access the plug remotely. Plus I live in a cul-de-sac with no thoroughfare so if it gets hacked i’ll be knocking on neigbours doors…:smileyvery-happy:

And as for not working all the time, i’m sure thats gonna happen but i just keep trying till it goes through. Can’t think of anything else I can do to access it remotley…