MyCloud EX2 Ultra OS 5 - Move files between different shares

Based on some other posts. . . .just got WinSCP running on one of my PC’s.

PAPA LIKES!

After some fiddling. . was able to transfer files between two different NAS units. Very cool.
Next step will be to try this over VPN. . … but I don’t have time for that right now.

Tired from all this mess… Just migrated to my brand new Synology DS220+. OMG! How did I live before?! The level of quality is just incomparable!!! I’m extremely happy now! It’s like chalk and cheese, compared to my old WD EX2 Ultra (ULTRA in its title means ultra low quality I guess…).

But to be fair, I note that I still use WD HDDs. :wink:

P.S.: Feel free to ban me, WD, if you consider this post as advertisement. I do not care anymore! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The problem doing drive to drive via windows is that sequential writes are capped at the rate of the network (<125MBs) rather than the rate of the drive (200MBs is not unreasonable for newer mechanicals) plus requires the PC to be on for the duration of the process.

1 Like

Same problem. Hope that will be fixed soon.

2 Likes

Given that he original post was back in November last year and there has since been several firmware updates, please can someone confirm if this has now been fixed as I have yet to upgrade from OS3 to OS5.

1 Like

Just bought an eX2 Ultra this week, only to find out that I can not move between shares… and finding this thread…
must assume there is no solution yet…

Regarding issues with moving folders on Mycloud Ex2 Ultra OS5 : try the below in your computer until WD do a fix.

Map your WD drive as a network location (under this PC on Windows>add a network location)
\192.168.0.40\xxxx (your folder name at the end)

This lets you to move folders around

Same problem… after many years using WD Livebooks without issues, I now bitterly regret remaining a loyal customer and buying this MyCloudEX2Ultra ‘brick’! Looking for the same reliability and manageability.

1 Like

@Kivlov 's is starting to look like the only sensible solution to the mess I got myself into with this MyCloud OS 5 supposed “upgrade”.

Hi guys,

i make a new users to reply on this post, i’m from Italy and sorry for my not perfect english;

i resolves (almost) the problem of missing file explorer on OS5 on my My Cloud EX2 Ultra, using winSCP (from my windows client) with FTP protocol: so enable FTP on NAS and use winSCP, that will give you easy operational access on files, also moving big file within folders is a fast operation, that should means that it is done from the nas on the filesystem;

an other option is to map the share of the nas, in windows file explorer, with ftp protocols, use this string on file explorer ftp://user:password@fixed_ip_of_nas; but you’ll not have all the possibility as winSCP, so i prefere first method;

for those who want to manage the nas from the phone, use a file explorer that can access via FTP, personally i use file Commander for android;

all my suggestion are for inside your home network, (hoped no need to specify but i did);

i hope my experience will be usefull to other.

Michele (Italy)

2 Likes

It is very strange that standard file management is missing in OS5. I therefore regret that I migrated.
However I did find a solution to copy large amounts of files to other shares.

1. Go to settings and enable FTP
    1. Go to Apps and install the free app “FTP downloads”
    1. Click “Configure”. (You also need to do this after a time out to see the progress)
    1. Create a task
    1. Enter the server name and enter the source and target location. Keep repeating pattern disabled
    1. Create task

That’s it. The good thing is, that it is fast, can run unattended and works even over multiple fysical drives. I imported data this way from my old NAS to my new WD MyCloud EX2 via the USB (the external drive is seen as a share. (Be sure to enable access to mobile- and web apps for the external drive in the “share settings”)

Of course it is a workaround. But it did the job for me

Hi, Quick Question,

I just bought a MyCloud EX2 Ultra & 2 x 8TB HDD, Installed the two drives as Vol.1 & Vol. 2.

I have 2 large folders, one I’d like to copy to Volume 1 and another large folder I’d like to add to Volume 2.

My question is, rather than taking the slow tedious route of transferring smaller individual files within the large folder to the Public Share (folder), can I simply remove one hard drive, insert it into an external enclosure, connect it to my Win10 pc and copy the entire large folder from pc into the public folder on the drive?

Would that work or would the pc not even recognize the hdd and formatting is the issue?

No, the drives are Linux EXT4 formatted.

Thank you for that insight. Much Appreciated.

Right. . . for the copy operation; make sure your PC is hard wired to the network and everything is 1gb speed. If you do the transfer via wifi. . . it will take much, much longer.

For these type of operations, I have plugged a USB HDD directly to the NAS and executed the operation using SSH tools (or the WD backup app). (In this setup; you don’t want communication from the HDD, through the NAS, to the PC, and back)

I just want to bump up this thread. It’s ridiculous that we can’t move or copy files between shares through the app.
I can connect and do it with SSH just fine, so it can’t be that difficult, and it’d make life a whole lot easier when outside the network, or for the rest of my family who aren’t that used to using the terminal

Windows explorer do its easy and FAST!

I might be misunderstading what you mean.

If I move files using the windows file system through the mapped NAS, for one thing I cannot delete files, only copy them around, but also the data actually travels through the router for some insane reason, moving a few hundred gigs can take days.
I can manage it via SSH and cp

Plus, you cannot use windows file explorer if you’re not within your wi-fi and don’t have a VPN set-up

the interface for mycloud is so ill-conceived for what I saw so far, I’m shocked it’s a WD product.

I think you have it right. . . .

. . . if Windows File Explorer is handling the file transfer; then the Windows PC is conducting the file operations. That means that it must be connected across the network. . . .with everything that the network connection implies

• If you are WiFi (not cable) - - > it’s gonna be slow
  • if you are NOT on you home network. . .then you need to connect to your home network.

When you connect with the APP, well then either the NAS is doing the CPU work; or WD servers are doing the CPU work. NOT your PC. It is unfortunate that the APP isn’t better programmed. I have lots to say on THAT topic.

The alternative of course. . . . is to somehow have the NAS perform the file manipulation commands. Other NAS vendors provide GUI software to make that happen. . . .WD does not. You can still SSH into the unit. . .but then that requires more advanced skills. . .as well as a suitable network connection.

1 Like

The My Cloud mobile app is a travesty.

Try ZeroTier, they have a mobile app and I created an easy to use My Cloud NAS app, available from the list below.