My WD My Cloud Home is ALWAYS offline

Let me start by saying I’m a Network engineer and I don’t need some telling me to turn off and on the machine or unplug and plug the machine.
We bought a My Cloud Home for my parents and sister who studies. They don’t have access for the last month. It’s unbelievable and now It’s being really problematic because my sister needs it.

What can I do? already did everything that is on the support page. I have the fixed IP but as you all must know WD doesn’t allow us to access directly using SMB/NFS/CIFS for no reason.

Most users have said that but probably they haven’t tried everything. If you can ping the MCH, you can usually get the debug_logs.zip from it and if you suspect lack of SMB which BTW you are wrong in your statement because some SMB functionality is supported, you should be able to see it working or not working, such as an actual SMB allocation error here:

2022-03-05T19:10:55.003Z 18107 18107 I samba   : [2022/03/05 19:10:55.003217,  1] ../source3/smbd/process.c:554(receive_smb_talloc)
2022-03-05T19:10:55.003Z 18107 18107 I samba   :   receive_smb_raw_talloc failed for client ipv4:192.168.1.128:42134 read error = NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET.
2022-03-05T19:10:58.933Z  2339  2339 W logcat  : type=1400 audit(0.0:37073): name="logs" dev="sataa22" ino=65538
2022-03-05T19:10:58.933Z  2339  2339 W logcat  : type=1400 audit(0.0:37074): name="wdlog.log.03" dev="sataa22" ino=410
2022-03-05T19:10:58.933Z  2339  2339 W logcat  : type=1400 audit(0.0:37075): name="wdlog.log.04"
2022-03-05T19:11:18.798Z 18122 18122 I diskmgrd: S.M.A.R.T. test: sataa, healthcheck 
2022-03-05T19:11:19.038Z 18148 18148 I diskmgrd: S.M.A.R.T. test complete: sataa, pass 

and below that you could see the health check of the sataa SMART test.

That said, there are hundreds, if not thousands of ways for a network to drop connection and what you suspect now may not have anything to do with the actual fault you have. That is why you need to read the debug logs and double and triple check the installation or let WD technical support help you - which may or may be to your satisfaction in the end. Nobody here could possibly know how old your unit is, how much abuse or care it has taken and how much usage is on the unit and how you actually did the installation - that is something you have to work out on your end in addition to all the troubleshoot.

How to Collect My Cloud Home Device Debug Logs
Answer ID 6746

1 Like

Hey there

This problem was reported by many users and WD never did anything. The firmware upgrade usually breaks it.

I never heard of anybody who brought it back online and the WD people won‘t help.

I can only link you to this thread: Solution for WD My Cloud Offline

The Video I linked there helped me to recover all the data. It‘s a lot of manual work, but it works. Note that the Python script is meant to be used on a drive with only one user. If you have multiple, it‘ll still work, but you‘ll need to run it once per user with updates parameters. Since you seem to be a techy you‘ll figure it out as I did :slight_smile:

After that: Throw the garbage away and buy a good (and real) NAS as I did (Synology for example)

This is mostly nonsense of course and you are assuming everyone has the same connection and hardware problem and that is why any user should start with diagnosing their debug logs which is far easier than taking apart the My Cloud Home and forgoing the remaining warranty, if any.

Looking through your posts and thread, it is mostly rants about poor support without much documentation and you never posted anything about the age and usage hours of your My Cloud Home, the debug logs such as the kernel logs, the sataa health check and SMART diagnosis. For all we know, there could have been too many hardware errors which would have prevented the normal OTA firmware from WD server from updating which is one of the reason why some units lose connection when their firmware failed to update. There are many well documented posts such as this below and explanations in the forum, just look for it

No, that is not nonsense. The one who is assuming stuff, because you don‘t know my case and what I did and want not.

I pulled the logs and contacted support. Support answered me after several weeks and I had to escalate many times. Statement was: Hardware broken. However, the public part was still fully functional. So why appearing offline, when it is obviously online and accessible? Rubbish system or garbare explanation.

Plus, via the App I could access the files from one of the two users on the drive. But not via Discovery or Webclient. Nonsense statement.

That was BTW when maaaany users had that problem. Browse the forum.

Last but not least: I could access all my files from the „broken“ hardware via the solution I posted.

Broken hardware? Please. Broken system, broken product.