My Passport Wireless Pro - System Recovery or Hard Drive replacement

Successfully upgraded MPWP 3TB with 512GB SSD

Hi guys,

thanks to all for all information you have posted here, based on them and after a few trials and stucks I have managed to convert MPWP 3TB to MPW SSD with Sandisk X600 512GB. My steps are following, and some of them may be unnecessary:

1. reset MPWP via web UI
  2. take 3TB drive out and connect to virtualbox linux machine. There I realized the drive has total 5860533168 sectors and last 8457136 are not used (there are all those hidden partitions)
  3. connect new blank SSD X600 512GB to linux (I have bought this model because someone here had success with it), create GPT, create FAT32 primary partition, leave 8457136 sectors at the end (orginal disk has 190MB EFI partition in the beginning, that is not needed)
  4. dd 8457136 sectors from old drive to new (careful here, with dd you can mess things up easily and I’m not sure if this step is necessary)
  5. connect new ssd to windows and format fat32 partition to exfat (parted I have does not support exfat)
  6. put SSD to MPWP, insert SD with firmware MyPassportWirelessGen2_1.04.17.bin in update folder and plug power (not from PC)
  7. turn on MPWP and immediately hold SD button for 5 seconds (I forgot this many times and ended up with full led flashing)
  8. after several minutes disk and wifi led both lit on and there were both wifi ready to connect (password is last 8 digit from new SSD drive SN, don’t forgot to note it)
  9. setup the drive via web UI, but first it throws error during Plex install and in the main UI there was strange disk size and UI says it is MPW SSD 256GB and there was NAS bug (disk not writable via network)
    I tried apply chmod and chown to /media/sdb1, but it didn’t help with NAS bug, but maybe it also played its role.
  10. I was quite frustrated at this moment, but at last I did System reset via web UI as a last resort before ordering UART and Voila! After that I have MPW SSD 512GB fully functional.

Question is if it was worth all the time invested, but I’m satisfied now and also I have learned lot of things about linux thanks to this :smiley:

3 Likes