My PASSPORT ULTRA NOT RECOGNISED

HI ,

When i am connecting my HD ( MY PASSPORT ULTRA 1 TB) to my pc , pc does not recognise the HD 

Even in windows disk management it shows DISK NOT INITIALISED 

kindly help 

Thanks,

Sai

Hello,

If disk management says the drive needs to be initialized it means the partition is corrupted and you will have to initialize the drive then partition it in order to use it again. However, before doing this you can try some basic troubleshooting:

1- Disconnect the drive from the computer and restart the computer.

2- If the computer is a desktop, connect it on the back USB port (directly to the PC, not through a hub).

3- Make sure you hear the connection sound windows makes when recognizes a USB device.

4- Go to "Disk Management” to verify if the drive shows up there.

If you have the same issue then you will have to initialize it. Note that this will delete all data from the drive.

It may be possible to still extract the data utilizing data recovery software. If you do a  web search for  Data Recovery  it will yield plenty of data recovery software options.

Hello.

I see that this problem is similar as mine:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-Portable-Drives/WD-Elements-1TB-Not-Initialized/td-p/715520

Do you have any advice what to do when it says: “The system cannot find the file specified” when cliking to initialize it?

I tried different USB cables, different PCs, different Windows (XP, Win7, 8)…

BR

I tried to change the name from example J to F and it worked on my computer.

This is not helpful for me, because my disk is not initialized at all… I cannot click on it to change the letter… :frowning:

Thx anyway:)