My Passport Ultra 1TB not Initializing

Thanks so much! Fingers crossed for both of us. :slight_smile:

i have this problem,

if i run the firmware update from WD WD firmware update  it unlocks the drive (after entering password)

i reboot the PC and lose the drive again but while the machine is on after running the installer it gives you a chance to get the data off

i am guessing my boot partition on it is knackered which is why i lose it each time

this might not work for everyone if their prob wasn’t the same as mine but i installed the WD security utiltiy, removed the security, added the security back and now my HD is BACK! 

so in summary

installing the firmware update gave me temp access to the drive until a reboot

with temp access to the drive, removed the password using the security utility, added the password back

reboot, plug in the drive and it comes back up!

hope this helps others

How much did your data recovery end up costing you?

Tons of similar problems for which WD doesn’t have concrete proven solution - see this post  WD My Passport 1TB let’s hope they are doing R&D to resolve this issue or may be an issue of quality control?

Gaming wrote:

Tons of similar problems for which WD doesn’t have concrete proven solution - see this post  WD My Passport 1TB let’s hope they are doing R&D to resolve this issue or may be an issue of quality control?

There is no solution to data corruption.  I posted in your other thread with some direction.  However, just so you know, I own two of these, one from when it first came out, and I have never had any issues with the drives.  And I throw data around on them daily.  You just always have to remember to safely remove them.  Just jerking out the cable, especially after having copied to the drive, is a major no-no.

Furthermore, relying on one drive to hold all your data is also a major no-no.  You need to always keep your important data in at least 2 locations.  I tend to use three.

Bill_S wrote:

Gaming wrote:

There is no solution to data corruption.  I posted in your other thread with some direction.  However, just so you know, I own two of these, one from when it first came out, and I have never had any issues with the drives.  And I throw data around on them daily.  You just always have to remember to safely remove them.  Just jerking out the cable, especially after having copied to the drive, is a major no-no.

Furthermore, relying on one drive to hold all your data is also a major no-no.  You need to always keep your important data in at least 2 locations.  I tend to use three.

Did you really go through my thread? How did you ascertain data corruption? By the way I do understand the complications that may occur when the drive isn’t safely removed - this is very basic and simple

I am repeating here once again (as it’s already mentioned in original post) “Yes, my main concern is data, though 90 -95% is on multiple drives, but losing even 5 to 10% is painful!”

Dear My Passport Ultra Owners,

The only fix to the problem is to reconnect the HDD (Hard Disc Drive) into the same port that it last worked on and then from their you can copy all your data and put it on another HDD. Once you have done that you can format and uncurupt your My Passport Ultra and that should do the trick. I hope I am not to late and it works please responed if it does work (it worked for me).

This YouTube video helped me out with uncurupting my hard drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3cohXuk_G0

Kind Regrads,

TADHGED

Hello Happy Holidyas to you…I saw your response and think it can help me with exactly the same problem that I am having. I did not remove the drive safely and now it seems I cannot access it. Can you suggest any partition recovery software please…I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Any luck with ACE Data?

I have WD external HD namely My passport Essential SE 1 TB, two weeks ago I got the problem with my passport Essential that can not ditected by any computer . so with this cummunity hoping that someone could help me to solving my problem…

please with kindly give me step by step the way how to repairing it .

before I would like to say thankfull  in advance while waiting the answer

Yours sincerely

johan yap