WD My Passport 1TB

With due apologies if this question has already been asked or is posted in wrong location

My data almost 850+ GB is extremely crucial

Problem: I have been using this drive on Win7 Pro 64-bit laptop (MBR) after getting another laptop Win 8.1 SL 64-bit (GPT) started using on both, please see following screenshots, these are self-explanatory

The drive is Visible in System Tray

1.png

Not showing in This PC

2.png

DISKPART is showing entire drive free; however, in reality it has 850+ GB data

3.png

Finally Computer Management , where I used Cancel , being unsure and afraid to loose data

Any help (proven) resolving this issue keeping data intact would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Welcome to the Community.

Is the hard drive still accessible in the original Windows 7 computer?

Hi Trancer:

It shows the exact same behavior, I will try to upload images from WIN7 laptop as well for comparison

Thank you

Here you go with SCREENSHOTS FROM win7 LAPTOP

1.png

2.png

3.png

Need WD Gurus to shed some light please

Thank you

Should I assume Community/WD has no proven solution

Thank you

Gaming wrote:

Thank you

So, If I’m understanding you correctly, you can see the drive, but it says that there is no partition.  If that’s true, then it’s possible that you may have a corrupted partition.  See if you can download a partition/data recovery software and see if it can either restore the partition or recover the data.  Otherwise, you will need to send the drive to data recovery to get your data back off the drive.  Unfortunately, if any of the data is corrupted, you won’t get it back.

Bill_S wrote:

Gaming wrote:

Thank you

So, If I’m understanding you correctly, you can see the drive, but it says that there is no partition.  If that’s true, then it’s possible that you may have a corrupted partition.  See if you can download a partition/data recovery software and see if it can either restore the partition or recover the data.  Otherwise, you will need to send the drive to data recovery to get your data back off the drive.  Unfortunately, if any of the data is corrupted, you won’t get it back.

[Deleted]Pictures speak better than words, As far partitioning is concerned, I do NOT partition removable drives

Yes, my main concern is data, though 90 -95% is on multiple drives, but losing even 5 to 10% is painful!

Gaming wrote:

Not showing in This PC

2.png

Finally Computer Management , where I used Cancel , being unsure and afraid to loose data

Any help (proven) resolving this issue keeping data intact would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

I was going by the above picture and statement.  Usually, when it shows up in Disk Management blank like that it’s an indication that you lost your partition. If that’s the case, then most likely it’s because the partition somehow became corrupted.  Usually.  If that’s not the case then support will be able to help you further. 

1 Like

Bill_S wrote:

Gaming wrote:

Not showing in This PC

I was going by the above picture and statement.  Usually, when it shows up in Disk Management blank like that it’s an indication that you lost your partition. If that’s the case, then most likely it’s because the partition somehow became corrupted.  Usually.  If that’s not the case then support will be able to help you further. 

Thanks Bill_S, it’s over two weeks I’m keeping fingers crossed for support to jump in and shed light

Does  http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk recognise the partition with your data on it ? Ihave had success with that in the past.

Can you suggest some good data/partition recovery softwares ?

I can’t make any specific recommendations, but if you do a Google search, you should run into quite a few data recovery softwares that may be able to help you.  Some will be free, others will cost, and some that cost will even be free if you want to recover a few files at a time.  With those you can find out if the data can be recovered before buying the software.