My Passport 4TB

I just bought a $Tb My passport.It did not state it is for mac.
Can i use it for mac storage?Where can i buy a the USB-C cable to connect to the new Macbook?

Hi @leonardtangty,

Please refer to the article How to Partition and Format a Drive on Windows or macOS:

For more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Well, most external hard drives are designed to work for Windows computers. Windows was mainly optimized for NTFS (New Technology file system) format, on the other hand, APFS was created for the Mac OS. NTFS is not compatible with Mac and similarly APFS does not get along with Windows. So if you’re trying to connect an external hard drive to a Mac, you might have to format the drive before you can use it.

Further, I suggest you to check the below link that explains all the methods to format your external drive for mac without any data loss:

Hope it helps!

I have been in the market for an external drive for a long time. Couldn’t find the thread in the entire forum.
Can anyone suggest me the best possible product for my storage purpose? I am looking for any product above 2TB in size.

My intention is to store as many pics and videos as possible. I am a professional photographer who clicks randomly, so you may assume the number of pictures I would be taking. Even after filtering, there will be thousands of pics that I deemed worthy of storing as memory. So down the line, I might get a chance to relive those trips and moments I had.
I work as a talented developer in the mobile app development services domain for a top app development company. When I decide to take a break, usually I go on a trip. Sometimes it will be a solo trip, or a couple voyage. I used many brand’s harddisk for the storage purpose. Now I am looking for an ultimate solution. I do have a budget of INR 15K, so can anyone suggest the best option.

Yes, you can generally use a standard My Passport drive with your Mac in most cases, even if it’s not specifically branded as "My Passport for Mac. Here’s a breakdown:

Compatibility:
My Passport drives typically use NTFS formatting by default, which Windows understands readily but requires additional drivers for Mac.
However, many My Passport models offer compatibility with both macOS and Windows. Check your drive’s documentation or the product page on Western Digital’s website to confirm.
If your drive is preformatted with NTFS, you’ll need to reformat it to APFS (Apple’s preferred format for SSDs) or HFS+ (more commonly used with HDDs) for seamless use on your Mac. Reformatting erases all data, so back up your files beforehand.
Western Digital may offer a reformatting utility for your specific drive model.
Connecting:
Most My Passport drives come with a standard USB-A to USB-A cable. Your MacBook only has USB-C ports, so you’ll need a USB-A to USB-C adapter or cable.
If your drive has a USB-C connector, you can use a standard USB-C cable to connect it directly.

You can also check with the AI consulting services that are working on the recent OpenAI API pricing calculator.

Finding a USB-C Cable:
Western Digital Store:
Check the Western Digital online store for a cable compatible with your specific drive model. This ensures compatibility and potentially additional features.
Retailers:
Electronics retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, or Apple Stores offer a wide selection of USB-C cables. Look for cables that meet the following criteria:
USB-A to USB-C or USB-C to USB-C (depending on your drive’s connector)
USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5 Gbps) or USB 3.2 Gen 1 (10 Gbps) for optimal transfer speeds (especially for larger files)
Reliable brand with good reviews

Additional Tips:

Once connected, your drive should appear on your Mac’s desktop. If not, make sure it’s turned on and properly formatted.
For optimal performance, connect the drive directly to your MacBook’s built-in USB-C ports instead of using hubs or adapters.
Consider using Time Machine on your Mac to automatically back up your important files to the My Passport drive.