My home Internet is slowing down

Hi,

I recently purchased a Netgear R6300 Dual band Router for my home and the internet speed is fantastic. After that I purchased the WD My Cloud 3TB and plugged it in the back of my Netgear Router. With the My Cloud plugged in the internet speed on my other devices had slowed down dramaticly. I have disconnected the MY Cloud and restarted my router and the speeds are back but as soon as my My Cloud is connected they drop. I’m I doing something wrong or is this what happens with the My Cloud?

Thanks in advance,

Billy

How are you testing you speeds?

I can see it on my other devices I’m the house. While watching a movie on netflix on wii system the movie stops continually to buffer. My laptop takes forever to load web pages. With the My Cloud unplugged from router these run with no problems

Try this, before plugging in My Cloud, go to speedtest.net and run a test.  Then plug in My cloud and run speedtest again.  What are your connection speeds for both settings? Download and Upload speeds.

Ok I’ll try that and report back here tomorrow night as I’m at work right now. Thanks for your help talk to you tomorrow night.
Billy

Ok before connecting My Cloud to the Router

Download 34.07

Upload 3.21

Ping 101

After I connect My Clound to Router

Download .16

Upload .76

Ping 417

Second Check while My Cloud connected

Download .31

Upload .15

Ping 115

Thanks

Billy

first reading should be ping not pimp. LOL sorry:smileyvery-happy:

Can you access your mycloud?

You could try another Ethernet cable between your router and mycloud.

You could also see what happens if you change to a different port on your router.

I’ve actually been noticing this too lately. I have a 4TB MyCloud.

I’m still doing some testing, but it seems every time I connect the drive to the router speeds start dropping until they reach about 1d /1u.

A simple reset on the modem and router at this point wasn’t doing anything, but while trying to diagnose I unplugged everything and it was stable for two days. At which point I reconnected the MyCloud and within a couple hours the speeds dropped back to 1d/1u. I’m not doing any transfers to or from the drive during this point in time, it just seems to drop off.

I recalled that when I first set it up I didn’t use the cloud feature to allow me to access the drive outside of my network and that around the time that I activated that feature is about the same time that the problem started to happen.

I’m currently testing to see if there is anymore to this idea. So last night I disconnected the drive, rebooted my modem and router, checked that the speeds were back up, then hooked the drive backup, went to the settings and disabled the cloud service.

I’ll check the speeds when I get home today and for the next couple days to see if things still slow down or not.

This actually makes me wonder about something I thought about when I was purchasing the MyCloud drive, which was why I needed a login setup through the WD website to access my drive. Like is this strictly some kind of proxy or vpn connection to get to my drive, or are my files or even some part of my files being uploaded to a server without my knowledge?

I’m having exaxtly the same problem – when my newly purchased WD My Cloud 4TB is plugged into my BT HomeHub router the internet speeds plummet. As soon as I unplug it the internet speed returns.

Any update on wthat’s causing it as I’m on the verge of returning it!

I don’t understand why plugging in a device whether it is the WD Cloud or otherwise can affect the speed of a router unless you are having IP clashes? or perhaps a clash between negotiating for 100Mbits and a gigabit speed.

So try the following experiment, pull all your devices off except your pc and wd Cloud to see what the network speeds are? If that is working at high speeds, then plug in one by one your other devices until you find a problem.

I do know that if you plug a 100Mb/s device into a gigabit router or switch, you will get a drastic reduction in speed.

@ Ralphael,

You said: “I do know that if you plug a 100Mb/s device into a gigabit router or switch, you will get a drastic reduction in speed.”

Not when you have a managed switch. Not all hardware is 1 Gbps. If you have a network printer on your switch, they usually are 10 Mbps or 100 Mbps. With a managed switch which has a processor in it, it should not be a problem.

Managed switches provide all the features of an unmanaged switch and provide the
ability to configure, manage, and monitor your LAN. And this gives you greater control over how
data travels over the network and who has access to it

Pacific_Dollars wrote:

@ Ralphael,

You said: “I do know that if you plug a 100Mb/s device into a gigabit router or switch, you will get a drastic reduction in speed.”

Not when you have a managed switch. Not all hardware is 1 Gbps. If you have a network printer on your switch, they usually are 10 Mbps or 100 Mbps. With a managed switch which has a processor in it, it should not be a problem.

Managed switches provide all the features of an unmanaged switch and provide the
ability to configure, manage, and monitor your LAN. And this gives you greater control over how
data travels over the network and who has access to it

Totally true if you have a managed switch, but not all routers are created equal nor do we have 10Mbps printers anymore; thus a router can take a shortcut and lower the network speed to the lowest common denominator.

Ralphael wrote:

So try the following experiment, pull all your devices off except your pc and wd Cloud to see what the network speeds are? If that is working at high speeds, then plug in one by one your other devices until you find a problem.

Have done the above and can confirm it’s the WD MyCloud that is causing this problem – when it’s the only device connected (apart from my Mac) the internet slows down dramatically.

are you using the ethernet cable that came with the Cloud? at least a cat 5e?

That would probably be my last guess…

Yes I was using the cabe the came with the MyCloud.

I actually returned the product to store this afternoon and bought a different brand instead. Seems to be working much better than the WD.

I have notified an investigation team about this.

Regards,

I thought the same thing but now my download speed is back where it is suppose to be. I know right before I bought My Cloud Time Warner Cable had an outage in my area. After getting My Cloud and testing it my download was showing 10Mbps. My download is back to 16Mbps. See image below.

My upload has always been around 1Mbps.

WDMCRRtest.JPG

I just resolved a Windows 8 slow down/ page time out problem on my Netrgear router by changing the router max transfer speed from 300mps to 130mps on my 2.4g interface only (that is the recommended default). My 5g interface works fine at 300mps. I try and use the 5g interface for any large data transfers. My slow down problem occurred prior to me installing MyCloud but it can be aggravated by any heavy volume transfers. My windows 7 PC did not have slow down issues and it uses the 2.4g interface only. I don't know why win 7 ran and 8 did not, maybe 8 has a faster interface.

I have the same problem with a 4 TByte MyCloud, Netgear router and Windows 8.1.  Period slowdown in internet speed as measured by Ookla speed test.  My Kaspersky Internet Secuirty’s network monitor shows MyCloud is busy uploading data periodically that correlates exactly with the slow internet speed.  Don’t know where the upload is going to.

Very disappointing.  I may have to take the MyCloud off the network.