My home Internet is slowing down

Has WD found a solution for this? I bought mine (WDMy Cloud - 3TB) two days ago and connected. The file transfer over LAN was very slow.

Now after two day, I see my Xfinity broadband speed almost at 50%. As soon as I disconnect the WDMyCloud from my network, the speeds were normal. I repeated this test several times, and got the same results. With WD My Cloud in the network, the nework speeds are drastically reduced. 

I am going to keep this PoJ for another day before I return it. Just want to give it a fair chance.

AJ

Everyone experiencing this issue hopefully my fix (or something similar) works for you.  Before you throw your My Cloud in the trash take another look at your router options and configuration. 

I was experiencing intermittent and dramatic internet slowdowns but my LAN speeds were normal.  I have Time Warner in TX with 50Mbps download and 5Mbps upload.  I had recently purchased a new Asus RT-N66U Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router.  I had also recently purchased a new Motorola Modem - SB6121.  It took a lot of process of elimination but I finally managed to determine it was the router that needed a config change.  Download speeds connected directly to my modem were fine and consistent, signal and power levels on the Time Warner cable were fine.  I could plug my laptop back into my Asus router with no other devices connected (including the My Cloud) and see 50Mbps download speeds.  Then I start plugging other devices back into the router and at some point my internet download speeds would drop to 20Mbps or below 1Mbps.  My upload speeds never seemed to be affected.  Asus technical support pointed me in the right direction.  The Asus router has a feature called QoS (Quality of Service).  The manual listed it as an optional feature and didn’t go into detail on how or why it might be needed.  This was off by default from the factory so I had left it off.  I turned it on, entered my ISP download/upload speeds and did some more testing.  My slow internet download speeds never came back.  Apparently this is more like a “required feature” on the Asus RT-N66U.  Other routers may have a similar feature that should be enabled.

Keep in mind I did experience slow transfer speeds with My Cloud over the LAN but that was a separate issue from the internet slow downs.  After tuning my Wifi and testing over Gigabit Ethernet I found slow file transfers on My Cloud were mostly from the file scanning performed by two WD daemons running on My Cloud.  After disabling those my transfer speeds to/from My Cloud improved dramatically.

Good luck.

Thanks JDEVINEY!

This shoudl definitely help. Couple of quick questions:

1. Did you create a specific QoS rule or just simply turned QoS on in the settings. Did you have to make any priority changes in the rules table provided? Below is a picture of what I’m talking about:

1. How did you disable the daemons on WDMyCloud?

Thanks much.

SurfinAsh wrote:

Thanks JDEVINEY!

This shoudl definitely help. Couple of quick questions:

1. Did you create a specific QoS rule or just simply turned QoS on in the settings. Did you have to make any priority changes in the rules table provided? Below is a picture of what I’m talking about:

1. How did you disable the daemons on WDMyCloud?

Thanks much.

1. No I did not create any specific QoS rules.  I used whatever Asus created for me by default and it seems to work fine for me.

2.  Here’s a link to another thead I started.  The last post is how to disable the scanning daemons.  I can’t take credit for the original workaround but I do mention it and link to it from my thread.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Slow-performance-and-file-scanning-applications-on-WD-My-Cloud/td-p/770261

The QoS definitely has solved the network speed issue. So many thanks for that.

I was blocked when I tried to SSH into the WDMyCloud. However, I found out that you could go into the Dashboard> Settings > Utilities and save the config file. Then edit the config file to enable SSH (there is a parameter). You can then reimport the saved config file. Seems to have worked…

Glad I posted the question before returning the product.

SurfinAsh wrote:

The QoS definitely has solved the network speed issue. So many thanks for that.

I was blocked when I tried to SSH into the WDMyCloud. However, I found out that you could go into the Dashboard> Settings > Utilities and save the config file. Then edit the config file to enable SSH (there is a parameter). You can then reimport the saved config file. Seems to have worked…

Glad I posted the question before returning the product.

You should be able to enable SSH directly in the Dashboard UI.