My Cloud OS5 - Indexing taking forever

Hey @dswv42. . .

. .wonder if you have any thoughts about this post.

Interface OS5 - #9 by philD1

Implication that something notable has changed in the lastest version of the OS/5 software.

I imagine that a simple mod to the rescue firmware would do it. . . .and the Debian feature set is already customized for the WD application right?

But I agree. . .there is always a way. . . .

I know few people having the same issue. They all moved on going with different nas vendors.
Not sure if this was deliberate by WD but I would say this definitely calls for a class action
to recall the product which is not fit for normal use.

I for one turned off the ex2 ultra due to noise it was making since the upgrade for days and days.
ā– ā– ā– ā–  thingā€™s spinning nite and day even after I format the disk with less than 300GB data.
When does it sleeps? Neverā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve solved all of my issues of weeks without access due to this dreadful Alpha firmware trying to index by getting a HP micro server! WD can go and ā€¦

Never going to buy any of their stuff ever again after this fiasco.

2 Likes

Iā€™m on firmware v5.12.108. Added 27GB of videos on 4/30/2021, and my My Cloud EX2 Ultra has been whirring 24/7 even since:
|Drive1 Temperature|55 Ā°C|
|Drive2 Temperature|56 Ā°C|
|Fan Speed|10344 RPM|

Iā€™m mad, betrayed and feel stupid for recommending one to my friend and setting him up with one too after touting the benefits. I really hope they figure this out. I will open a support ticket too. I recommend everyone on this thread do the same.

UPDATE:
Level 2 Support explained to me that indexing can take a long time depending on the filetype, and occurs in 2 phases:
Phase 1 - creating index of files
Phase 2 - generating previews (this is usually where the high CPU utilization is coming from)

My personal suspicion is that it could be the types of video codecs for the files I added and how well (or apparently not) the My Cloud EX2 Ultra firmware is able to generate previews for these video files. They also advised me to ā€œlet it runā€, as rebooting or hibernating the device has the potential to kick off indexing from the beginning upon restart, which would mean waiting weeks and weeks all over again for the fan speed to return to normal and indexing to finally complete. I have also noticed that the drive has upgraded to Firmware v5.13.115 since my last post.

I also had to beg the Level 2 support agent to look at the system logs, as they kept recommending to ā€œjust let it runā€, but they instructed me on how I could generate system logs to attach to the support ticket: How to Collect My Cloud System Logs

As of today, the drive temps have increased as well, but I will be open-minded and forgive that detail as the temperature outside has also gone up by about 15 Ā°F from my last post:
|Drive1 Temperature|60 Ā°C|
|Drive2 Temperature|60 Ā°C|
|Fan Speed|10344 RPM|

ā€œJust let it runā€ has been the standard line since the earliest versions of this OS.
I donā€™t think it has sunk in with WD that the indexing process they have programmed requires too system processing for the hardware they have in their products.

(it probably worked fine on the 16 core I9 processors in the development machines)

Drive temps: Supplemental cooling may be in order. (using an external fan)

I updated to OS 5 6 days ago. From that day on, my WDEX2 has been indexing continuously and it doesnā€™t seem to end. In the meantime, the NAS has not been stable for 6 days (sometimes accessible and sometimes not accessible via the cloud, sometimes even not accessible via Finder, or via my webbrowser). I now see a lot of questions and complaints about this ridiculous turn of events caused by WD. I would like to receive a clear answer from WD. How long are you going to plague me with this misery and what solution will you offer me and all other dissatisfied customers? I am not an IT technician so would like an answer that less tech savvy people understand.

1 Like

Latest reply from support on 5/20/2021:

ā€œWe would like to inform you that, during the indexing process the device FAN speed is increased and there is high CPU usage. Please be informed, it is normal process and hence we would request you to wait until indexing is completed.ā€

The following article explains the fan rpm

Thank you for the article and the reply SBrown. I understand why the fan is having high rpm, and it is understandable that the fan rpm and drive temps would increase during indexing. What is not understandable to me is WHY the indexing is taking SO LONG. Itā€™s been running 24/7 since April 30. This is a poor user experience, and it is making me suspicious as to what this indexing is really doing.

It was explained to me on a previous call with Western Digital Support that the reason for the upgrade to OS 5 was to make accessing your drive more secure by leveraging os5.mycloud.com as secure portal to remotely access the files on a My Cloud device, which necessitates the local indexing as WD has no access to the contents my the drive, as logging into the My Cloud OS5 web portal is merely a more secure medium to gain remote access to the files.

Other questions that come to my mind are:

• Is long indexing time typical as compared to your competitorā€™s drives or other drives in this consumer tier?
  • Is indexing much faster on a higher-powered tier of My Cloud devices, like a My Cloud Pro Series PR2100 (i.e.: WD My Cloud Pro Series PR2100, NAS Hard Drive Store | Western Digital)?
  • Is the answer to simply upgrade to a My Cloud Pro Series PR2100?

If the answer is in fact to upgrade to a My Cloud Pro Series PR2100, then I might consider that option, but it is still misleading to sell a device to consumers that cannot perform up to the task. I thought the My Cloud EX2 Ultra was better built than the My Cloud EX2 (which is now discontinued). My guess/HOPE is that WD R&D is aware of this problem, and is working out the kinks of OS 5 via firmware updates.

If someone can confirm that these indexing issues will go away if I upgraded to a My Cloud Pro Series PR2100, I would appreciate that.

Latest updateā€¦

Fan Not Working
The system fan is not working.
Visit the Help Center for support.
Thursday, 2021 May 27, 10:11:10 AM
Code:29

Indexing finally completed today. From 4/30/2021 to 5/30/2021.

Oh no, that indexing wont work for me either. First time it started indexing I was copying content into the NAS and as the indexing ā– ā– ā– ā–  started it crashed the NAS. Iā€™m in my current second time indexing and so far lot of memory consumption but no crashes. But man, there should be a way to turn this indexing off. Ir really donā€™t care for thumbs, (as I know first hand how painful and lengthy this process is, having made a media registration workflow at my current role) just having the media available online. It would be cool if WD allow people to report bugs and issues

To be more specific, this LONG indexing was due to turning on the Cloud Access feature and enabling ā€œMobile & Web App Accessā€ on a Share. I upgraded my My Cloud EX2 Ultra from the default WD Red 4TB drives to WD Red Plus 10TB drives back in March 2021.

Luckily I re-read the manual thoroughly before performing the drive swap and found out that drives over 8TB in size required an upgraded power supply from the 35W default to a 46W power supply to handle the larger drives, but it took 3 calls to WD Support and a session with Chat support to uncover that.

The drive upgrade went well, I let the initial indexing (without Cloud Access enabled) run to completion and that took about 1 week. Then I enabled Web Access for a single share, and that indexing took about 2 weeks. Then on April 30, I added only approx 30GB(!!!) of files, and that indexing ran from 4/30 to 5/30.

Looking at my deviceā€™s past logs today, Iā€™m seeing these events:

Firmware Update Successful
The system has successfully updated the firmware to 5.13.115.
Friday, 2021 May 14, 3:21:45 AM Code:2004

Installing Firmware Update
Installing firmware update.
Friday, 2021 May 14, 3:17:11 AM Code:2026

Firmware Update Successful
The system has successfully updated the firmware to 5.12.108.
Thursday, 2021 April 15, 3:21:45 AM Code:2004

So my latest theory is that maaaaybe WD R&D was in fact aware of the gaps in indexing and remediated some bugs via 2 separate firmware updates that occurred in the background without my knowledge. So maybe my particular long indexing experience was due to an indexing that began with a buggy version of the firmware, was fixed in-flight due to background firmware upgrades happening concurrently, which also probably restarted the indexing process over again with each firmware upgrade and background reboot. And if that is the case, then my re-indexing really began at the most recent firmware upgrade on May 14. But at any rate, 2 weeks to index and the danger of this resource-hungry re-indexing process occurring going forward irks me.

Iā€™ll also add using the WD Backup app (the latest version you can install through the WD My Cloud local admin web-portal) is not that great. I was excited to use this feature b/c the WD Support rep explained this was the fastest way b/c I could plug my WD My Book 12TB drive directly into the WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra via USB. But after my testing using the Sync setting for backing up, it took more time and was more resource hungry (high CPU, high memory, high fan speed) than simply using a free software-based app like SyncBackFree or FreeFileSync over the network. My final solution for backup is I purchased FreeFileSync v11.9 Donation Edition and that is reliable and faster.

well, like the sleep issue, EVERY firmware version boasts improvements in the indexing process.

Firmware updates were semi-weekly from release through the start of the year. They are now monthly.

People (like me) have been complaining bitterly about indexing since the initial releases of the firmware.

As for backup. . . .my original transfers to the my OS/3 machine were done via WIRED network. Speed was slow. . .but ok. For the OS/5 testbed, I only had wireless available. . .and wireless WiFi was WAAAAAYYYY too slow. . .so I used the USB method (since the data I was transfering was actually on a USB drive). . . .and it worked well enough.

(1TB of data; 48 hours of indexing. This was done last summer. I had to re-index once after a 40 second reset late last summer. That index took just under 30 hours. I have not noted significant indexing since then.)

Latest update from my support ticket:

I would recommend you to perform system only restore as pre the link mentioned below and then try to setup the dashboard and see if that works: My Cloud: System, Quick and Full Restore a My Cloud EX2 Ultra

I guess it is worth a shot, but Iā€™ll need to do a full backup before.

Hey everyone still watching this thread! On 7/3/2021, I did a full backup of my data then performed the System Only Restore as suggested. This de-registered/re-registered my MyCloudEX2Ultra device in OS5 Cloud, and then I reconnected Cloud Access and turned on Web Access for all my shares. The re-indexing took about 48 hours, and now the device/fan/indexing has calmed down and is looking more normal.

It looks like the System Only Restore cleaned out the bad indexes and gummed up indexing jobs, and starting the process over again with a fresh indexing with the latest Firmware v5.14.105 did the trick.

I was updated my My Cloud 6tb 3 days ago to OS5. since that day indexing is still on. Iā€™m mostly using it to stream my media to my smart tv. we cannot watch the contents, because the indexing is not done, and just able to use less than 20% of the stuff. horrible-horrible firmware. I have had this ā– ā– ā– ā–  for 5 years now and always wanted to buy a better solution. I think now itā€™s time to do it! WD, stuck your useless nas into your own bumm!!!

Since IOS 5.14.106 (14 JUL 2021), indexing (and ā€œGenerating Previewsā€) finally completed for my NAS (My Cloud Mirror Gen2).
Am I alone and just lucky? I am just curiousā€¦Daniel
P.S.: Today, the firmware was automatically updated to 5.16.105 and indexing still works (so far, so good!).