My Cloud OS5 - Indexing taking forever

5.11.112 was released today

Still having issues. Now my NAS will not share its data with the os5 website or app. I’ve tried a few steps with tech support. They are not sure what’s wrong. Support said it needs looked at by the developers. This os5 upgrade has been absolutely horrible.

Any updates? I still can’t get into my app or os5 website to see my data.

@SBrown
having installed 5.11.112 on my nas i may report that this release didn’t solve any of my problems!
my drive eventually restarts the indexing process with no reason as my drive was always up and connected.
if indexing is finished (as it was a few times already) the drive keeps to be inresponsive from the web. only thing working is the integration in my local lan network. that shows a lag on fiorst connect and then runs fine

Indexing is horribly broken on OS5, whether intentionally by WD or due to their sheer ineptitude is another story. Do you really need indexing? You don’t need it for access within LAN and Plex uses its own indexing, only WD apps and web make use of indexing as far as I know. If you absolutely need to use WD apps, there’s still time to move back to OS3 before these stupid devs plug that option.

Hello:

This might help to some of you if you unit becomes non-responsive during indexing. , I managed to prevent indexing to freeze by removing from cloud shares certain complex files which I guess were causing trouble to the indexing process (maybe too complex to get the medatada or preview).

I have a single bay My Cloud 2nd generation, and I updated directly to 5.11.112. from 2.xx. last week

With cloud access enabled, the unit became unresponsive after reaching 83% of indexing. No web access, unable to connect to shares (samba/windows), only a extremely slow SSH access was availible.

To get to 83% it took no more than 20 minutes (1TB of data, moslty multimedia), and then freezed. The only way to recover is to phisically reboot or stop restsdh.

With SSH and detailed log enabled, I found that on “wdlog.log” there were some entries referring to files on my shares with message “partial indexing stats with path”. So what I did is to remove (whether deleting, zipping or moving to another share, without cloud access) the last file displayed on that log just before freezing (tail -f /var/log/wdlog.log to live check the log on the terminal).

So everytime the unit became unresponsive, I stopped restsdk (restsdk.sh stop), move or delete the last file shown on the log and restart restsdk and the log tail. Indexing restarted from 0% and then freezed, but with a larger percentage of completion each time. So, after a few iterations the indexing finished in around 40 minutes and cloud status changed to “generating previews” (which I’m currently now, still taking a lot of time but at least the unit is fully responsive).

At the end, In my case there were a few heavy PDFs and some satellite stream captures (.ts with multiple channels or programs inside) that I moved away to make indexing flow.

I tried to turn off cloud access before I came out with this workaround, on that case no indexing issues were shown, as many of you have confirmed.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Juan.

1 Like

Indexing/Generating Previews of 6TB since 42 days. Running all day. No loud fan noise. Temp is okay. Still very annoying. Progress of the first 17 days: 34% - after the update to 5.11.112 there is no % data of the progress anymore. Bravo, WD, problem well handled.

Transcoding of video content can disabled if you are not using Web and Mobile app to watch content that requires transcoding to view. It will save you some “Generating Previews” processing time.
The indexing percentage sign didn’t go away in 5.11.112.

My Cloud OS 5: PR Series Enable and Disable Content Transcoding

Answer ID 30085

The option to deactivate transcoding is not visible for me.

The general problem is your User Experience Design. Give us more information about what is happening and what happened.

• A notification about “initial indexing is finished”.
  • Or information about how long it can take to generate previews and that I can disable transcoding (it’s not in the settings, but “hidden” inside the cloud tab, if visible at all (in my case)). And that it could take over 100gb of space.
  • Or an information before the update to OS5, which tasks have to be redone and that the interface is still the same non-responsive like in OS3.
    Such things would help reduze frustrations about your software or products.

today is april 14.
on february 23 i posted about my problems updating to os5 the first time.
this means, that i am now since two months on my path to regain a functioning NAS!
my current status is:
2 weeks ago, for what reason ever, my NAS restarted indexing and now i am back to 78%! So i expect 10 more days of happy indexing.
during this time my NAS is reving at full speed 24/7, it is not responsive - because of the workload. trying to stay calm!
very disappointing!

1 Like

Has anyone figured out how to delete old indexes? I turned indexing off on all but one folder and my drive is apparently full despite saying there is 1.44TB free in the UI. I am suspecting this is an indexing issue. I opened a case but did not get a response.

Turning OFF Cloud Access from the Cloud Access tab will only PAUSE indexing. The only way indexing will PURGE themselves is enable Cloud Cloud Access and then TURN OFF “Mobile and Web Cloud Access” at the share level. Else, System Only Restore will delete all the indexing (not your data) but enabling Cloud Access will starting the indexing again.

Thanks. So I have actually done that and only have “mobile and web cloud access” on for one small folder. My issue is that when I map a drive to my NAS and try to copy a few files over, it will copy maybe 10 and then I get an insufficient disk space despite my portal telling me I have over 1.46 TB free
Any other ideas? This is making me nuts.

1 Like

Hi All,
For those of you living in UK please remember the 2015 Consumer rights act. Trading Standards reminded me of this!
This states under 46. Remedy for damage to device or to other digital content
(1)This section applies if—
(a)a trader supplies digital content to a consumer under a contract,
(b)the digital content causes damage to a device or to other digital content,
(c)the device or digital content that is damaged belongs to the consumer, and
(d)the damage is of a kind that would not have occurred if the trader had exercised reasonable care and skill.
(2)If the consumer requires the trader to provide a remedy under this section, the trader must either—
(a)repair the damage in accordance with subsection (3), or
(b)compensate the consumer for the damage with an appropriate payment.
(2)If the consumer requires the trader to provide a remedy under this section, the trader must either—
(a)repair the damage in accordance with subsection (3), or
(b)compensate the consumer for the damage with an appropriate payment.

If you have been inconvenienced by this (two weeks and counting of indexing) WD only suggestion disable shares, thereby inconveniencing again by not being able to access remotely, escalate for compensation. WD have breached the act by not showing any due care or diligence in the release of this flawed not fit for purpose firmware. They have pushed the CPU to its limits working 24-7 which has increased the temperature in some cases to detrimental limits shortening the lifespan of the product in doing so. Finally by deliberately removing any ability to revert back to a safe position (OS3) they have again breached the Act showing a lack of due care or diligence. I have a device I can no longer use as advertised, cannot revert back to a safe point, and in effect has become a paperweight. Sorry WD this is not acceptable, Have escalated my complaint and if needed will enforce the act to the courts. I suggest everyone here from UK do the same.

3 Likes

I am having issues with my My Cloud since upgrading to OS 5 firmware
It updated fine, indexing took about 6-7hrs for around 4TB, I could then access the files throught the public folder and on the My Cloud phone/website app all good.
However then I installed the Twonky app on the dashboard so could play videos through my TV, and now the hard drive is just flashing blue (fast flash), I can see the hard drive in file explorer but it says windows can’t access it, the dashboard just times out, and the mobile app says the device is offline.
It has been doing this for about 3 days now, i have tried unplugging the power cord, tried a soft and a hard reset but nothing changes.

Sounds like Twonky is creating it’s own index and possible using a lot of CPU, memory and or disk i/o.
Can you you collect the system logs and to support when the device hit’s this state?
Doe the issue reported fix itself if you disable Twonky and Reboot the My Cloud?

How to Collect My Cloud System Logs

Answer ID 18374

Yes I think Twonky is indexing, however as I said I cannot access the dashboard to get the system logs, and I do not know how to disable Twonky if I can’t access the hard drive at all, I have tried rebooting it every way I know how but nothing changes when the My Cloud reboots, it goes straight back to a fast flashing blue light and is visible in windows but can’t be accessed

This is what comes up when trying to access the dashboard

I sent you a private message and requested the MAC Address of your My Cloud. If you said YES to analytics when updating to OS 5, I can check to see if your device is sending any analytic data.

There has been a software update: Update on My Cloud OS 5 Feedback - #11 by WD_Admin

“Indexing time & resources: In today’s firmware, we have continued to address additional indexing and thumbnail generation related issues. Please continue to provide your feedback in the WD Community if you are still seeing related issues.”

No luck with new firmware 5.12.108. Still unable to access data from app or os5mycloud website. Indexing has restarted and four hours later is still at 0%. How do we roll back to OS3? What a horrible upgrade this has been. So frustrating I can’t access my data remotely.

1 Like