My Cloud OS5 - Indexing taking forever

Mostly M2TS, MP4 (GoPro), and a few dozen AVI.

@skiingj1 OH OK that explains the “reading too much exif data” and “retry create previews” messages in your logs. We continue to make improvements in the indexing process with each firmware release.

Should I continue with a restore restore? Thanks

so, now we have march 5.
almost 10 days of indexing. starting really getting annoyed!
sent an email to support think it was germany got a nice mail back with a link ------that was not working!!!
not too professional and supportive
at least now i have a case 210302-003623

indexing still is running.
sometimes i have access to the system. mostly not. don’t even know if there is a change in %.
keep waiting
 zen or how to update to os5

@kop please attach the system logs to your case

How to Collect My Cloud System Logs

Answer ID 18374

Hello all,

In my case, I launched the indexing on the 25th of Feb.

In order to enable the mobile app to work quickly and to finish the indexing quickly, I configured only a few of my shares with “Mobile & Web App Access” resulting in less than 100KB data to index in the end.

The indexing phase was “kind of” quick: in less than a day it was completed. But now the process is blocked in “Generating Previews
” mode (6+ days).

Is there a way to check if the process is actually doing something?
Would you recommend to restart the all process? (Please advise this only in last resort, I would like avoid waiting for days to have my NAS ready to use :stuck_out_tongue: )

Thank you in advance for your help :slight_smile:
Best regards.

@SBrown added the log files to case

@kop

*** Best Practice for My Cloud OS 5 Cloud Access and Indexing**

CPU: 60.0% usr 35.0% sys 0.0% nic 0.0% idle 0.0% io 0.0% irq 5.0% sirq

Load average: 9.20 7.36 3.29 5/318 11891

e[7m PID PPID USER STAT VSZ %VSZ CPU %CPU COMMANDe[m
10303 5685 root R 24476 4.8 0 52.3 pdftoppm -singlefile -f 1 -scale
5685 5672 root S 1218m 244.5 1 42.8 restsdk-server -configPath /usr/
11891 11822 root R 2684 0.5 1 4.7 /usr/bin/top -n1
5763 5746 root S 848m 170.3 0 0.0 otaclient -configPath /usr/local
3852 1 root S 786m 157.8 0 0.0 nasAdmin -configPath /etc/nasAdm
5672 1 root S 776m 155.9 0 0.0 restsdk-serverd -outputLog /var/
5506 1 root S 158m 31.8 0 0.0 {Plex Media Serv} /mnt/HD/HD_a2/
5624 5506 root SN 112m 22.5 1 0.0 {Plex Script Hos} Plex Plug-in [
7129 5506 root S 75236 14.7 1 0.0 {Plex Script Hos} Plex Plug-in [
7077 5506 root S 54896 10.7 0 0.0 {Plex Tuner Serv} /mnt/HD/HD_a2/

SUGGESTION:

1. Turn Off Plex
  2. Turn Off Twonky
  3. Reboot
  4. Allow the indexing and generating previews to complete it’s processes

This is the process of extracting and generating thumbnails for your content.
If you have a PR2100/PR4100, then you can disable media transcoding.
Other models do not support media transcoding.
There is no way to turn off “Generating Previews” for content as it’s directly linked to Cloud Access.

My Cloud OS 5: PR Series Enable and Disable Content Transcoding

Answer ID 30085

Hello @SBrown,
Thank you for your quick reply. I have an EX2 Ultra.

Sorry for the basic question, but what do you mean by “other content”? We are only talking about the data being in the shares for which I activated the "Mobile & Web App Access” option, right?

Thank you a lot for your help!

Fixed the typo.

Super, thanks for your help @SBrown.
I will wait for the process to finish then. I hope it will happen soon now :slight_smile:

Have a good weekend.
Best regards.

Hi guys, I recently purchased my WD Ultra EX2 8TB (2 x 4).
I’m mostly interested in the backup (timemachine) and photo storage.

At first I was very happy (quiet machine, handy smartphone photo backup), but now that I stored 1TB on it, it goes on for 3 days of indexing, thumbnailing and “I don’t know what”, making the drive unreliable, hard to reach or manage
 I moved and deactivated most of the shares, but honestly what’s the use of offering cloud functionality if you can’t use it properly?

So, here’s my question ; for those who survived the days of indexing etc, how’s your experience afterwards? Is this just a 1-time bad experience which eventually normalizes in daily use, or is this nightmare continuing over the long run?
I’m still in time to return the device and purchase something more decent, what would you recommend?

Thanks @Mjoelk, I’ve initiated the return, to be on the safe side (I can still cancel it) and ordered a Synology to test side-by-side and take an educated decision. Clearly WD suffers some design issues here :sleepy: 

Indexing 6TB. 26% done after 9 days. Running all day. No loud fan noise. Temp is okay. Still annoying.

@SBrown

I was able to perform the steps you asked. Backup, System Restore, and run on .122
After completing those steps, I am having a few issues:

1. I am not able to see my data on My Cloud
  2. Cloud access shows connected on the device but when I try to login to cloud account from the device I get: Error - Something went wrong, please check that you have an active Internet connection and try again.

I received this response on my case even though I have been on OS 5 for 40+ days indexing.
THANKS!

Dear JOHN,
I appreciate your response and time.
As per your response, please allow me to inform you that the existing My Cloud OS 3 indexing cannot be used after updating to My Cloud OS 5. A new index must be created to view your content using remote access in the My Cloud OS 5 web and mobile apps. This process can take a few hours up to a few days to complete. Thank you for understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.
In the meantime, your content can still be viewed using Windows Samba or macOS Finder on the local network.

@SBrown
now after what seemed forever indexing seemes to be finished. the system reports “CONNECTED” in the lower right segment of the dash.
everythibng is off no twonky no plex no nothing just plain os5 and data.
when i try to access the disk from browser it takes forever still.
opening teh directory tree from windows 10 starts fast, but then again stalling and nothing happening.
in parallel i use an wd drive with os3. it outperforms os5 like 20 times (felt)
the second wd is a plain wd drive apx. 1 year older than the mirror.
keeps me confused!

So, here’s my findings after installing and testing a Synology DS118 with 4TB (only 1 HDD, but more CPU and RAM than my WD MyCloud Ultra EX2 8TB). Both setups have the same cost, give or take 10 €. I mostly use it as backup for my precious data, stored on an iMac. I’ll try to give an honest comparison here

In terms of initial account setup, I believe both WD and SYN are equally OK, both could do better IMHO. The fluidity, looks and responsiveness of the SYN seem better though.

When it comes to data transfer, actually I saw little improvement. Transferring the 1 TB of pictures, songs & videos from WD to SYN took hooouuurs, at speeds ranging from 7 to 22 MB/s. Both connected to the same Gigabit router. Who’s to blame, hard to say at this point. Also transferring from iMac to SYN, via WiFi, topped at 22 MB/s.
I found out a bit late that on iOS I had to configure the server as SMB instead of AFP, suddenly data transfer went at dazzling speeds of 60-80 MB/s (via Wi-Fi) :crazy_face: . Happy me! But I’m afraid I made the same mistake on WD, and could imagine WD can also take these speeds.

Then comes the setup of the SYN for my “daily life” ; TimeMachine backup, sync music & pictures, mobile photo backup alerts for emails, 
 Actually, I’m a bit puzzled here, the SYN comes with a mass of applications (packages) and setting options every tech’ would dream of, for a “normal-IT-user-with-decent-knowledge” it’s by times overwhelming, and you get lost in all the screens. Honestly, I found the WD far easier to configure for my use. Too bad WD was slow in response and by times crashing (due to all this indexing non-sense). But clearly, if you like to have control on everything and can spend some time on configuration, SYN will go further for you. And the SYN help pages (just google what you look for) a very well done and extensive, so even newbies can manage.

Indexing to be clear, also SYN requires indexing and thumbnailing, and I wouldn’t call it fast. But faster than WD in my opinion (admitted, I have a faster CPU on SYN). Also SYN makes it more transparent what is being indexed or thumbnailed, and you can easily plan these tasks (during the night for instance). Good point also for SYN, newly added pictures from mobile backups are thumbnailed at upload.

The “little extras” like Plex, media server, photo indexing ; Also here, more processing power, more speed. And more options to configure. I didn’t test this a lot on WD, as it was drowning in indexing, but you see more potential at SYN. I would advise an even stronger SYN than mine (like the DS220play) if this is important to you, for me it’s “nice to have”.

In conclusion, I’m puzzled as I had higher expectations towards SYN, but I wouldn’t go back to WD for the whole fuzz and complications it gave on the simple mission I had for it ; keeping my data safe and easily accessible. The latter failed. A pity, because, at this price (280 €), 2 x 4TB is a real bargain. But I guess you get what you pay for

Hope this helps the one or other in their quest for a good home-backup-setup. And gives some guidance to WD where to improve
 :slight_smile: I’m returning mine today :man_shrugging:

Indexing 6TB. 34% done after 17 days (progress of last 8 days: 8%). Running all day. No loud fan noise. Temp is okay. Still annoying.

I think I understand what you’re saying here. Would have loved to have an option “use the cloud, but don’t preprocess all files, because it takes forever”.