My Cloud now super slow after firmware update


#19

I seem to have sorted my issues on my own with no help from WD.

I tried a few things suggested elsewhere on the net and after about 5 reboots, transfer speeds have been restored to a level prior to the firmware upgrade!

not a technical solution, but it may work for you


#20

I had the same problem but managed to fix it !!!

open the twonkey interface on port 9000  i.e. wdmycloud.local:9000 go to advance menu and click clear cach then

changed setting in advanced of media re-scan frequncy to 0 instead of -1 .

then go to admin web interace and turn off media DLNA server in settings. then select rebuild database and wait for it to finish.

After that re-enable media DLNA and got to twonkey advanced settings and change the re-scan back to -1 .

now rescan your media and perfomance should be back to normal.


#21

RiscaJack wrote:

 

not a technical solution, but it may work for you

… and… ?? 

What did you do?


#22

The problem (from my perspective) was caused by the Reboot and Rescan that MyCloud had to do after the Firmware 4 update. This made the boxes temporarily useless which confused many of us for quite a while.

Below is what I think is the technical explanation (and solution) for us users of MyCloud.

It looks like MyCloud now really hates multi-tasking and that, after you add new files to MyCloud, it has to Rescan the database - which renders the device totally useless until the Sanning is completed.

So if you leave your MyCloud alone after the update to firmware 4, for a while, it will all fix itself and you will be back in business - until the next time it has to rescan it’s database (i.e. until you add/remove files to your device)

The SOLUTION (if WD can’t fix this through another update):

Is to turn off automatic Rescan of the database (because the drive is useless while it is scanning your database), and to do it manually after you change your database and when you are not going to need the drive for any other purpose for a while (i.e. until the Rescan is completed). Then you can continue to use it at it’s maximum (best) performance potential.

THE PROCEDURE:

open the twonkey interface on port 9000 i.e. wdmycloud.local:9000
go to Advanced menu and click Clear Cache then

set Rescan Interval to 0 instead of -1 (This will effectively stop the software (Twonky) from rescanning your files.

then go to Dashboard (your admin web interace) and turn off Media DLNA server in:

Settings, Media, Media Streaming, OFF

then select Rebuild database (if you suspect database corruption)
or
select Rescan (To Search for changes to your files)

and wait for it to finish.

After that, reset Media Streaming to ON (so you can start streaming to your devices again)

and then either go back to Twonkey, Advanced settings and change the Rescan Interval back to -1 (to re-enable automatic file scanning)

OR

Leave it at 0 in Twonky (which is what I am doing) and use the Rescan option in Dashboard after you are done modifying your files. i.e. Dashboard, Settings, Media, DLNA Database, Rescan

BUT remember that your device will still be useless until the Rescan completes in Dashboard (also you won’t need to turn media streaming off and on again if you are not using the box until the Rescan completes).

THANKS to nabulaer (above) for posting his solution to this problem, which helped me in resolving my problems and to  try to explain it further and to help somebody else.

I have also passed this info to WD when they contacted me on the trouble call. It’s still a good device and keep enjoying this cool device.


#23

Can you guys elaborate on what Twonkey is?  Should the average user know what this is, and how to use it?  I would love to disable the scanning if that’s the only problem here.


#24

Twonky is the software that talks to your devices such as your PC, your SmartTV, your SmartPhone, etc. It was installed when you installed your MyCloud and that is how you see your MyCloud device on the home network.

If you have a PC you can find out it’s IP address by opening your file manager; it will show up under Media Devices.

Once you find it, Right-Click on WDMyCloud and select Properties to find the IP address; it will be 192.168.x.x (the x.x) are two other numbers.

Then as per the instructiions above, in your browser enter 192.168.x.x:9000 to start the Twonky interface.

In my case it is 192.168.2.22:9000 but in your case the two numbers following 192.168.   will be different …


#25

Bob59 wrote:

Twonky is the software that talks to your devices such as your PC, your SmartTV, your SmartPhone, etc. It was installed when you installed your MyCloud and that is how you see your MyCloud device on the home network.

 

If you have a PC you can find out it’s IP address by opening your file manager; it will show up under Media Devices.

 

Once you find it, Right-Click on WDMyCloud and select Properties to find the IP address; it will be 192.168.x.x (the x.x) are two other numbers.

 

Then as per the instructiions above, in your browser enter 192.168.x.x:9000 to start the Twonky interface.

 

In my case it is 192.168.2.22:9000 but in your case the two numbers following 192.168.   will be different …

Thanks for the information Bob59.  I may have to mess around with that later on.

However, this post is to update you all of my transfer speeds after changing some of the settings in my dashboard.  

First, to verify I have a decent internet connection, here is my latest speedtest result: 

And here are some of the updated configurations I’m using on my dashboard.  I’ve disabled the cloud functionality and the media streaming.

And here are the updated transfer speeds as a result.  I’m using the same style as earlier, but to refresh you all:

2 different files will be transferred - a “SINGLE” (1 file, 4.4GB), and a “MULTI” (51 files, 4.4GB).  

There are two different transfer types - MOVING (cutting from one place and pasting to the next), and COPYING (copying from one place and pasting to the next).  Finally, I will be transferring BOTH directions for comparison.  “SSD” is my local hard drive, and “NAS” is the MyCloud.  

Here are the results:

Copying from SSD to NAS Single

UPDATE - COPYING FROM SSD TO NAS SINGLE.jpg

Copying from SSD to NAS Multi

UPDATE - COPYING FROM SSD TO NAS MULTI.jpg

Moving from SSD to NAS Single

UPDATE - MOVING FROM SSD TO NAS SINGLE.jpg

Moving from SSD to NAS Multi

UPDATE - MOVING FROM SSD TO NAS MULTI.jpg

Quite the improvement since the previous runs.  Here are the results going the opposite direction:

Copying from NAS to SSD Single

UPDATE - COPYING FROM NAS TO SSD SINGLE.jpg

Copying from NAS to SSD Multi

UPDATE - COPYING FROM NAS TO SSD MULTI.jpg

Moving from NAS to SSD Single

UPDATE - MOVING FROM NAS TO SSD SINGLE.jpg

Moving from NAS to SSD Multi

UPDATE - MOVING FROM NAS TO SSD MULTI.jpg

Conclusion - by turning off ‘Media Streaming’ and ‘Cloud Access’ it seems I have improved my transfer speed from my SSD to the NAS, but nowhere near where it should be I believe.

Can someone experiencing slow speeds try this and see if you’re getting similar results?

I really don’t know what else to do without tampering with specific settings that may void my warranty.  I don’t know how to set up a case number or anything like that yet.  This is mostly to visually show you all my speeds after turning off some of the ‘streaming’ settings.

Take it easy.


#26

Same problem here! Owner of a 4TB MyCloud After the firmware update to 4, my transfer speeds are absolute horrible, about 250-300 KB/sec. Before the update I had about 10-11 MB/sec. This is unacceptable!! We need a quick solution from WD!! A new firmware which solve this problems and come back to the previous status. I have seen a procedure to come back to formware 3, but this is not a real solution from WD. Not all of us knows how to do… We have paid for a product and I think we deserve more respect and attention from WD. Very sad to say this! :frowning:


#27

I just purchased the 4TB. LIke any other new user, the first thing I did was to upgrade firmware. Now I tried to copy over 300 GB of media. Lets just say the speed is HORRIBLE. There have even bee times where it just hung on a copy. I have resorted to using synctoy to copy all my data. This way I dont need to figure out where the copy left of and can just resume. The speeds are so bad that I want to return the device. I bought it online so returning is such a hassle. Hopefully there will be a firmware soon to fix this. AHHHHH!


#28

After reading this I am at least glad that my drive is not on the way out or like tech support said “factory reset” the unit (3TB MyCloud)

Please can someone from WD let us know what is going on with this.

I rebooted and rebuilt a few times and it was okay for a week or so and now it is back to unusable.

Before the dreaded v4 firmware I was getting transfer speeds of 70-80MB/s - now I am luckily if I get 70 - 80 Kb/s.

Its really is bad. WD need to release an official statment on this and lively.


#29

Yeap…nothing really works. Thanks WD!!!

Probably we have to wait for a new firmware… :confused:

I have tried resetting the drive, downgrading the firmware, but nothing works. And as moving files through usb is rediculissly slow I couldn’t do factory reset, which I honestly don’t want to do. I prefer another update.

For now I “solved” my transfer issues with a crossover cable. You can do the same.


#30

Hello!

I would like to know how to rollback firmware from v4.00.xxxx as it is incredibly slow, and therefore makes mycloud unsutable for small enterprise use.

The biggest problem is not really transfer speed but a slow reaction time, consequently making every system working with files from cloud unbarably slow.

Many thanks!


#31

Yes. I’ve also noticed this slow-down.


#32

Bob59 wrote:

The problem (from my perspective) was caused by the Reboot and Rescan that MyCloud had to do after the Firmware 4 update. This made the boxes temporarily useless which confused many of us for quite a while.

 

Below is what I think is the technical explanation (and solution) for us users of MyCloud.

 

It looks like MyCloud now really hates multi-tasking and that, after you add new files to MyCloud, it has to Rescan the database - which renders the device totally useless until the Sanning is completed.

 

So if you leave your MyCloud alone after the update to firmware 4, for a while, it will all fix itself and you will be back in business - until the next time it has to rescan it’s database (i.e. until you add/remove files to your device)

 

The SOLUTION (if WD can’t fix this through another update):

 

Is to turn off automatic Rescan of the database (because the drive is useless while it is scanning your database), and to do it manually after you change your database and when you are not going to need the drive for any other purpose for a while (i.e. until the Rescan is completed). Then you can continue to use it at it’s maximum (best) performance potential.

 

THE PROCEDURE:

 

open the twonkey interface on port 9000 i.e. wdmycloud.local:9000
go to Advanced menu and click Clear Cache then

set Rescan Interval to 0 instead of -1 (This will effectively stop the software (Twonky) from rescanning your files.

then go to Dashboard (your admin web interace) and turn off Media DLNA server in:

Settings, Media, Media Streaming, OFF

 

then select Rebuild database (if you suspect database corruption)
or
select Rescan (To Search for changes to your files)

and wait for it to finish.

After that, reset Media Streaming to ON (so you can start streaming to your devices again)

 

and then either go back to Twonkey, Advanced settings and change the Rescan Interval back to -1 (to re-enable automatic file scanning)

OR

Leave it at 0 in Twonky (which is what I am doing) and use the Rescan option in Dashboard after you are done modifying your files. i.e. Dashboard, Settings, Media, DLNA Database, Rescan

BUT remember that your device will still be useless until the Rescan completes in Dashboard (also you won’t need to turn media streaming off and on again if you are not using the box until the Rescan completes).

THANKS to nabulaer (above) for posting his solution to this problem, which helped me in resolving my problems and to  try to explain it further and to help somebody else.

 

I have also passed this info to WD when they contacted me on the trouble call. It’s still a good device and keep enjoying this cool device.

 

It’s not just Twonky.  There are two other daemons running on My Cloud that are WD implemented software.  They are always on and scan everything that gets transferred to your drive no matter what volume or whether or not Media Streaming or iTunes is enabled for that volume.  There is currently no way via Dashboard UI to disable this process or alter how or when it runs.  Read other threads on this forum.  Those two daemons can be permanently disabled (at least until your next firmware upgrade) via SSH.  Changing how Twonky scans will have minimal impact on your overall performance during file transfers to/from My Cloud.


#33

To downgrade I used the guide in this post:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/GUIDE-Transmission-2-82/td-p/619597/page/10

but I found this as well, but haven’t tested it though:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Easy-method-to-downgrade-to-previous-version-of-the-firmware/td-p/773073


#34

same problem here too with my WD MyCloud 3tB after FW update to v4.

  • transfer speed about 200Ko/s, unusable…

  • device is always doing scan or wathever, even a week after FW update (1.5TB of datas on it)

  • tried to restart / shutdown / reboot / turn off DNLA / Time Machine / Sharing… with no luck

really looking forward to a FW update too!!!


#35

Did a FULL restore on my 4TB, left it overnight and until lunchtime today, it was only at 35% so switched to quick restore ±15min.

From Windows 8.1 to nas copying over gigabit lan , my media library so files from 2GB to 45GB, getting speeds from 40MB/s to 88MB/s.


#36

Sadly this is the same problem I am having. I updated the Firmware yesterday and now my WD MyCloud device is unusable. I really hope this is fixed soon as I’ll have to find a replacement to this device if it isn’t fixed within the next day or two. As stated previously my device is now unusable.


#37

I am sooooo tired of this. 

Every time new firmware is released, I install it in the hope that it will fix the problems of slow UI response, USB dropouts, unrecognized USB disks. It never does. 

This time I even bought a new 2TB SATA disk just to make sure it was not my disks causing the dropouts.  Of course it was not.  It was (and still is) the WDMyCloud.  All I want is a simple NAS and DNLA server.  I have no use for cloud access, web connectivity or, anything Apple.  It should be simple for a company that makes hard disks.

So tonight I hoohed up a 1TB SATA to a Raspberry Pi via the USB port.  I downloaded NTFS-3g, Samba.  It took me about  hour and I now have a Raspberry Pi based NAS.  Later tonoght I will setup minidnla and test that with a couple of movies.

So far this pile of wires on my desk is working faster than the WDMyCloud which may well find itself on ebay in the next couple of weeks.


#38

How is this a problem for 5 months? I cannot stand the thought of a backup device not working properly and the hardware company acting without accountibility. I can copy a 2gb file in 60 seconds, or 40 minutes. How is that a reliable product? I store video files for viewing on a lan. It works without lag, or doesn’t. This is just unbelievable.

WD, where are you?