My Cloud Home Due - Error Code 36 when Transferring Files

Hi, I’ve been trying to transfer some large files from my Mac Mini (i.e. “Photo Library”) onto My Cloud Home Duo (16T), but it errors out shortly after starting the download with the error "The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in Photo Library can’t be read or written (error code -36). I have a Mac Mini M1.

I’ve read other issues that sound similar on this forum, and they seem to recommend running dot_clean command in Terminal to clean up the files. Is this the best solution, and if so, how specifically do you identify the path name to enter for My Cloud Home Duo in Terminal? The instructions I want to follow are below, but I have no idea what the directory path name is for My Cloud Home Duo, as it’s not defined as a drive letter/path that I’m familiar with. I am running WD Discovery as well.

dot_clean is a console tool in macOS that “merges ._* files with corresponding native files.
Follow the instruction or link to the online referencing below to run the dot_clean console tool.
The dot_clean utility must point to the directory path that has the offending files.

1. Launch the Terminal (found in /Applications/Utilities/ or with Spotlight)

2. At the command prompt, type: dot_clean /Path/To/Directory/With/Problem/

3. When the dot_clean is finished, attempt the file copy again and it should succeed with no error code

Hi @brucem,

Please refer to the article of My Cloud Home macOS Error Code - 36 When Transferring Files:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8877

Thanks for your reply Keerti_01, but I’m not using any special characters in my folder names. The folder I’m transferring to is called “MAC Photos Libraries” and lives under a folder called “Photo Backup” on My Cloud Home Duo. Any other ideas?

Hi,

I appreciate that you have performed the troubleshooting steps.

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Hi, I did contact WD Support desk. It seems the problem was being caused by the delay in transferring the files. I had the large files on an external drive which I was attempting to transfer from to MyHomeCloud. I transferred the files from my external drive directly onto my MAC, then from the MAC to MyHomeCloud drive, and no longer get the Error Code -36.