My Cloud disconneted itself from network

Not that it helps you but I don’t have the problem. The mycloud stays on my network and I can access it at any time. Thats what I meant when I said that WD may not have seen the problem in its testing. I am saying that there is not a problem just one that does not affect everyone and for all I know it may happen to me in the future.

zzzoinks wrote:

Is the same team testing the fix that didn’t leave the drive on for more than 2 hours when they tested the firmware?

Mine’s been up now for several weeks.

I suggest WD wait at least another month before sending out any fixes, as one month may not be long enough.  ;)

Same here, 3 drives, 2 different networks. Never seen it drop for me

Mine suffered intermitent wan loss (last firm on) before brick after only 3 days of use.

I bought mine yesterday, And I am seeing the same issue. I have just now done the following to see if it makes a difference. I will reply back as soon as something either works or not. Same basic condition, unit has blue solid LED, can’t see it on network after a period of time, either by IP or Name

-I have turned off all streaming media stuff

-Static IP outside of DHCP range of router (Engenius)

-Did not configure for remote access, turned off feature

-Disabled sleep function

Rover

Adding…

Unit has the latest firmware. I had some initial issues that may have been related to this issue, so I connected it to a Linksys WRT54G to perform the setup. After which I connected it back to my Engenius router.

Still waiting to see if it happens again

Rover

Same Here.  

Works for an hour, disconnects & then I need to uplug/replug to get it working again… (constantly) 

Firmware: v03.01.04-139 

Same thing here, same firmware.  Now it is stuck in device initialization on the dashboard.  Oh well.  I can still access files right now. 

Still disconnecting. Any feedback on what to do?

Can’t connect to Network settings on dashboard:

Error Shows:

Unknown error. Retry your last operation. If the error persists, contact WD Support for assistance. (200000)
Unknown error. Retry your last operation. If the error persists, contact WD Support for assistance. (200000)
network_ftp_form_error
network_lan_configuration_form_error
network_workgroup_form_error
ssh_form_error

Solved (for tonight)

In router settings, Enable “ADD DHCP RESERVATION”

In WD My Cloud Settings/Network, choose “Static” .

Hello,
I wanted to know if your procedure works with everything well.
thanks

Everything seems to be working fine now.

Connect My Cloud via Statci ip Connection.

Good luck!

So my experience with WD Customer support is mixed and somewhat frustrating.

Last call to WD, I was told that the disconnect was a "known issue " and that a firware fix was due soon.  Said to wait a week or so and it’ll be out.

Fast foward 1 week+:  No firmware still non-operational unit (functional for a couple hours at a time).  Called again to see if there was an update.  Was passed to a “level 2” tech support.  “Tom” I believe.  Was very helpful, though he said he had no knowledge of the firmware release date.   Suggested that I do a full “factory reset” wiping the unit clean.  

I have now done that and the unit is up for at least 12 hours now.  I will let you all know how the uptime progresses.

Note:

The one thing that bothered me about the conversation with “Tom” was that he recommended that everytime I update the firmware on the unit, I start fresh with a factory reset.  Said it was “best practice”   

Why then do we have an option in the UI for auto update?  And… really?!? I should wipe the unit and copy all my backups back to the drive EVERY TIME?  I only have about 900 GB there now.  Still takes a long time!  If I get 2-3 TB the time will be day(s).  Lucky I have wired GBe!  

jmbaker16 wrote:

The one thing that bothered me about the conversation with “Tom” was that he recommended that everytime I update the firmware on the unit, I start fresh with a factory reset.  Said it was “best practice”   

I, for one, would consider that nonsense.   If that’s indeed the case, then WD needs to reconsider their best practices or designs, because I’m not going to do that.

I’m curious if you/anyone have tried the static IP fix mentioned earlier?

Another possibilty: my suspicion is that the crash happens when the drive attempts to go into standby.  If that’s true, I wonder if a “keep alive” script would be an interim solution?  I can’t test it because I returned the drive rather than wait for my 14 day return period to expire while this continued to be a problem. Maybe I’ll buy another if they fix it.

To try it, you’d create a text file called something like “keepalive.vbs” and put this in it.  It’s clean code. It just pulls a directory listing from your public share.  Then double click on the script.

forcecscript

dim sleepMinutes

sleepMinutes = 10

dim sleepMilliseconds
sleepMilliseconds = sleepMinutes * 60 * 1000

dim ofso, ofolder, ofiles, ofile

set ofso = createobject(“Scripting.FileSystemObject”)

while true

set ofolder = ofso.GetFolder(“\wdmycloud\public”) ’ change name/share as appropriate

set ofiles = ofolder.files
  wscript.echo "keep alive: " & now
  wscript.Sleep( sleepMilliseconds )
wend

sub forcecscript ’ force this to run in a cmd window rather than GUI

’ you can remove this code if you’re uncomfortable with it

’ but then you’ll need to run this from the cmd line, “cscript keepalive.vbs”

dim sExecutable, oShell
  sExecutable = LCase(Mid(Wscript.FullName, InstrRev(Wscript.FullName,“")+1))
  if sExecutable <> “cscript.exe” Then
    Set oShell = CreateObject(“wscript.shell”)
    oShell.Run “cscript.exe “”” & Wscript.ScriptFullName & “””"
    Wscript.Quit
  end If
end sub

Of course, you’ll have to change the power settings on your computer so that it doesn’t go to sleep or the script won’t keep the drive awake.  Can’t hurt to give it a try?  If pulling a directory listing doesn’t keep the drive awake, maybe moving a file back & forth would?

Thanks for sharing. However, I would check again after about 48 hours. My drive disconnect itself every 2 days. Unplug and replug it can make it connected, but it only lasts for roughly 2 days. It is really a magic.!!!

I am surprised WD did not recognize the problem. 

My Cloud disconnects on a daily basis, I have to power cycle each time I need to use it.

MIne is still up after 36 hours now.  Can remote into it.

Far cry better than the 3-6 hours maximum I was getting before.  Seems stable so far.

When I get 4 days under my belt I will consider it good. (not sure why 4 days, just sounded reasonably long)

I’m just adding my plight to the pile, nothing new to report.  Drive diconnecting.  Need to unplug and plug back in to get it back.  

I also get a “content scan” error.  All the time.  It never finishes the scan.  And the rest of the time it just shows “error”.  so much fun.

• Updated firmware: v03.01.04-139

• Static IP setup

• Sleep-mode disabled