My cloud connects goes lightning fast and then dies

So everything seems to be working. I try to backup some files and it starts flying and then dies after a random (short) amount of time… :frowning:

Help!

More information is needed.
What OS are you using?
What firmware version is the My Cloud running?
What does “dies” actually mean?
How large is the content being copies before the trouble begins?

There is an issue some experience where copying or uploading files stalls or stops at the 999mb mark.

https://community.wd.com/t/upload-stops-at-999mb/96492

Windows 10, but the problem has been around since I used 8.
v04.04.02-105
The connection goes from ~50 mb/s (?) to zero and my computer.
I’m backing up movies two to eight GB files, from what you’re saying this might be the issue…

How is the computer connected to the local network? Ethernet or Wifi?
Is the local network and the computer using Gigabit ports/speed?
Are you copying these files across the local network or are you uploading them from a remote location?
If remote location what program are you using to upload the files?

On a local network I routinely copy files in the multi GB range to the My Cloud from Windows 7 and Windows 10 without issue. It should be noted that copying large single files will have some speed issues over copying a bunch of smaller files, its the nature of Windows and hard drive operation in most cases.

Ethernet
Local and using giganet ports/speeds.
Local network.

The speed is not the problem so much as the constant drop in connection, even if faster is better. :slight_smile:

Megabits or megabytes? And your computer … what?

How are you backing up?
What tool are you using to transfer the files?

megabytes/s My computer to the my cloud.

I move them with Total commander from my computer to the My cloud over the same network, there is a gigbit switch in between.

You could try File Explorer. Just to rule out the possibility the Total Commander is doing silly things.

Do ANY transfers work? Really small files? Trying to establish if it’s a total blockage & progress reporting problem, or a genuine partial transfer & hang up problem.

Looking at your profile I would say you have had your My Cloud the same amount of time as I have had mine. Did this just start? Have you made any changes to your network? How are you backing up the files, copy and paste, drag and drop, SmartWare?

cat0w
USA

It has never worked a 100% and I had many different setups.
I do it manually with Total commander.

I will add this to show things I have done since buying my My Cloud to help improve the speed. On my desktop I upgraded my wifi adapter from 802.11n to 802.11ac and bought a new router Linksys 1900ac.

OS upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on desktop and from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on my laptop.

I always update my computers with the latest updates and my My Cloud with the latest Firmware.

Maybe I am lucky but I have never had a problem with losing my connection.

Will add this, I have Belkin Premium Flat High-Speed CAT6 Cable running from my My Cloud to my router.

I think I have cat6 cables, but i will look into it. :blush: