My Book offline

Hi,
My external HDD, My Book is offline and cannot be accessed by the Western Digital Apps. It is encrypted but does not show to unencrypt. It still shows in the “Storage segment”. When I try to backup, it says that the target is missing.

The device can still be found in the device manager (WD My Book 1230 USB DEVICE) and it says “This device is working properly”.

When I open the Disk Management tool, I get a pop-up instantly saying "You must initialize a disk before Logistical Disk manager can access it. It shows me a “Disk 3” and asks me if I want to do MBR or GPT. When I click on one and say “OK” it says “The request failed due to fatal device hardware error”.

There seems to be an update for Western Digital Security but it gets stuck at 50% installation.

I have two discs, the second is still working (also encrypted). When switching the cables, the working disc still works and the other still doesnt.

Hi @bent,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

I was able to fix the issue by reinstalling the whole western discovery thing. Then I was able to access the drive and take off some data. After a while, it was again not accessible.