My book live never sleeps

The system runs from 09:00-01.00 every day. I have only  about 100 videos in the shared videos directory.

By the way, the email notification doesnt work either.

here the log file:

Aug 8 08:58:56 localhost logger: WD NAS: Email alerts REST API failed to return Success--> no mail today Aug 8 09:17:47 localhost logger: send mediacrawler 2264 wakeup signal
Aug 8 09:17:47 localhost logger: exit standby after 61
Aug 8 09:33:17 localhost logger: send mediacrawler 2264 wakeup signal
Aug 8 09:33:18 localhost logger: exit standby after 62
Aug 8 09:51:37 localhost logger: send mediacrawler 2264 wakeup signal
Aug 8 09:51:37 localhost logger: exit standby after 61
Aug 8 10:04:54 localhost logger: send mediacrawler 2264 wakeup signal
Aug 8 10:04:54 localhost logger: exit standby after 61
Aug 8 10:22:34 localhost logger: send mediacrawler 2264 wakeup signal
Aug 8 10:22:34 localhost logger: exit standby after 61
Aug 8 10:35:52 localhost logger: send mediacrawler 2264 wakeup signal
Aug 8 10:35:53 localhost logger: exit standby after 61
Aug 8 10:55:29 localhost logger: send mediacrawler 2264 wakeup signal
Aug 8 10:55:29 localhost logger: exit standby after 380
Aug 8 11:15:50 localhost logger: send mediacrawler 2264 wakeup signal
Aug 8 11:15:51 localhost logger: exit standby after 62
Aug 8 11:30:09 localhost logger: send mediacrawler 2264 wakeup signal
Aug 8 11:30:09 localhost logger: exit standby after 61
Aug 8 11:43:26 localhost logger: send mediacrawler 2264 wakeup signal
Aug 8 11:43:26 localhost logger: exit standby after 61
Aug 8 11:56:44 localhost logger: send mediacrawler 2264 wakeup signal
Aug 8 11:56:44 localhost logger: exit standby after 62
Aug 8 12:14:03 localhost logger: send mediacrawler 2264 wakeup signal--> mediacrawler killed.... Aug 8 12:14:03 localhost logger: exit standby after 61
Aug 8 12:37:46 localhost logger: exit standby after 62
Aug 8 13:21:34 localhost logger: exit standby after 1964
Aug 8 14:32:51 localhost logger: exit standby after 3613
Aug 8 14:48:52 localhost logger: exit standby after 296
Aug 8 16:27:54 localhost logger: exit standby after 5278
Aug 8 21:15:14 localhost logger: exit standby after 16576
Aug 8 21:32:59 localhost logger: exit standby after 399
Aug 8 21:53:20 localhost logger: exit standby after 62
Aug 8 23:18:22 localhost logger: exit standby after 4438
Aug 8 23:33:40 localhost logger: exit standby after 61

One other thing that might not be causing it to not go to sleep is the Media Server (twonky). It could be also running. If you have a lot of video files, it can take a few days to index. You can disable the media server to confirm.

Sorry, it is not the twonky.

Tony, maybe you should admit that you made a bugs in the new firmware and fix them as soon as possible. This is statement :slight_smile:

1 Like

Although I do not believe my sleep problem has anything to do with the processing of photos, since I don’t have any on the drive, I find it rather odd that WD reps here think that in today’s computer age it is fine to dismiss something that takes days to finish.

DAYS??? This is a hard drive, not a supercomputer calculating the value of pi.

Why would anything that take days on an external hard drive be considered normal? I don’t think we should be paying for power we don’t want to use, nor paying the eventual price in a drive that fails to spin down and wears and more quickly. It was not this way before 2.x firmware and it should not be this way now.

@Mihaylov - Please don’t make those kind of statements about me. I will be the first to come on and tell you something if I know anything.

All, We are looking into this. Don’t have any information, but will keep you updated.

Hi,

I have the same problem, all began after my first firmware update.

Please fix this bug.

Note:

Why the file content " /tmp/minutes_since_disk_access"   in my booklive is 9 , the last modification date of the file is:

2 Aug  9 09:32 minutes_since_disk_access

and my current date is:

Tue Aug  9 10:52:25 PDT 2011

Hi WDTony,

I have a few questions.

If you don’t have remote access turned on, the drive doesn’t retranscode your photos, is that right?

What if you turn on remote access, allow it to retranscode your photos, then turn remote access off, then turn it on again. Does it go through the process of retranscoding your photos all over again, or does it only need to do this once?

I ask this because I’m also having issues with my drive not sleeping as much as I’d expect it to. The only way I can seem to get it to sleep when it’s not active is by turning off the remote access, then it powers down reliably when not in use. When the remote access is turned on it will occasionally sleep, but when it powers back up because I am using it, it can stay on for days even after I shut down all computers and other devices on the network.

I only intend to use remote access occasionally, so I don’t see the need to leave it on all the time - especially if it stops it going into sleep mode when it should. But I don’t want to keep turning remote access on and off if doing so means it starts the lengthy job of re-transcoding all over again.

More info would be appreciated.

For your information, my drive is a 3TB Mybook Live running the latest firmware.

We are still looking into this.

Thanks WDTony,

I appreciate you looking into it.

Can you comment on whether the drive re-transcodes pictures every time remote access is turned off and back on? (Or does it just re-transcode them once?)

We do not re-re-transcode files :slight_smile:

I had the no sleep issue. Turned off remote access and now it sleeps. However, not always within 10mins of no activity.

I came to realize that turning off the remote access will remove  “mediacrawler” process. This will make the unit to sleep.  while mediacrawlder is running, I can touch the unit and feel the hardware activity.

its quite clear now the issu is reduced to…

when remote access is enabled, my unit doesnt sleep.

Correct, we have seen that it is a process that is waking up the mediacrawler. We are reviewing this and should be working on a fix for this soon.

Thanks WDTony,

I’m turning off my remote access for now, until there is a fix.

Do you think this is likely to come in the next firmware update?

We are hoping so. It has been a bit difficult to track down, so hoping this week will find positive results.

If I have a parttion of the NAS mounted on one of my computers, would this keep

the green light on?

Jerry

Same problem here since the firmware update. I’ve disabled remote access for the time being. Hoping for a fix soon.

I’ve almost the same problem with my 3TB MBL. I’ve turned off remote access since I have more than 40,000 photos in it,I don’t want it to take many weeks or even more to do transcoding. However,I really need to use my MBL as a Twonky Server,which also cause MBL keep on reading/writing pretty intensively for more than 3 days without any device getting access to it.

Admittedly, it’s reasonable to take several days to do things like resizing or transcoding photos considering its CPU’s performance. But it is unbelievable that just indexing files takes such a long time. There must be something wrong with this firmware.

Hope WD can fix this problem as soon as possible.