My Book Duo 6tb (Old Version) If the price is right

Yes I complained about the My Book Duo on another thread but I paid $500 for a 6TB My Book Duo and for that price it wasn’t worth it since I could get the newer model with USB 3.1 (which I hate the design) for a little bit less money. It wasn’t worth the time for debugging since the program kept crashing and thankfully Best Buy refunded me my money.

Subsequently I saw a repackaged (used) 4TB My Book Duo on eBay for only $215 canadian. I would get two 2TB drives plus a mirrored USB enclosure, so I ordered one just for fun.

I just got my order today and apparently it turned out to be shipped directly from WD themselves and what I got was a brand new 6TB My Book Duo. So I’m guessing that since WD has discontinued the My Book Duos, they are simply selling them out at cheap prices through 3rd party vendors on eBay.

However right out of the box, one of the drives would not connect of which the reason might be is that I pulled out the drives to check the drive size and no matter how I inserted it back into the bay, the connection wouldn’t connect; so I swapped the drives around and that solved the problem. It does give me the feeling that somehow, either the enclosure is not functioning properly or it might be a bad drive; hopefully WD will provide warranty if anything fails.

I don’t know how much testing I would do with this drive as my last test ended up in the utility crashing on me and the $500 My Book Duo ended up being useless.

Two things to note here.

I’m using the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter from Apple and I tested using a powered USB 3.0 hub as well as directly from the USB output from the Multiport and I am getting 35MB/s writes directly to the My Book Duo. This was the speed that I got on my first My Book Duo which led me to believe that is the final speed.

So since I am a very thorough tester, I connected it to my EX2 and accessed the My Book via the gigabit ethernet… and lo and behold I got my regular EX2 ethernet speed of 100MB/s which meant that the USB 3.0 is working just fine.

So there is something wrong with my USB 3.0 port on my Mac Book?

Anyways, I figure as long as I don’t yank out the drives to see if my mirror rebuilds, my 6TB My Book Duo is a good addition to my now all black EX2 Ultra/My Book Duo collection.

I am still debating whether to swap my 8TB My Cloud Red drives with the new 3TB drives, resulting in a 16TB My Book Duo that I bought for a song.

It goes to show that if the price is right, I won’t complain.