Recently had two sudden power losses and my WD MyBook 8TB External Drive now is not recognized by either mac that I use.
The light in front is lit up and the drive is ticking almost like a clock, not sure if it’s dead or not.
Thanks for reading.
Whenever you connect an external drive to your mac, the storage drive may not show up on Desktop, Finder, or even on Disk Utility due to various reasons:
- USB connectivity problem
- macOS preference settings
- Partition map damage
- Device incompatibility
- Physical damage on a drive
However, to fix the issue, you can try the below methods:
- Check the USB connectivity
- Enable visibility of external hard drive
- Update macOS
- Repair external hard drive by using Disk Utility
- Repair external hard drive by using Terminal
- Erase the external hard drive
- If none of the above works, then the drive needs replacement
Further, you can also check the below link for steps to be followed in each method mentioned above:
Hope it helps!