MPW Tip: Get a case for it

Too bad WD did not include a case for their newest premium product.  Since they didn’t, you should get one for around $10.  Here’s some info regarding a case.

DIMENSIONS of MPW models:

500 GB

Length: 5.0 in (127.0 mm)

Width: 3.39 in (86.0 mm)

Height: 0.86 in (21.8 mm)

Weight: .55 lb (0.25 kg)

1 TB        

Height: 0.96 in (24.4 mm)

Weight: .60 lb (0.27 kg)

2 TB

Height: 1.17 in (29.8 mm)

Weight: .77 lb (0.35 kg)

A case recommended for the MPW (actually made for a My Passport) at Amazon (called Amazon Basics), is not high enough for any of them since its dimensions are: 4.72" x 3.66" x 0.63".

I found this rugged case by Drive Logic to fit the thickest 2TB MPW, so other MPWs will fit it as well; just search Amazon for:  Drive Logic DL-64 

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Drive+Logic+DL-64&rh=i%…

Dimensions for this case according to Drive Logic website is:

• Internal dimensions 6.0" x 3.7" x 1.2"
  • External dimensions 7.0" x 4.3" x 1.8"
  • Compatible with products that are within the following dimensions: 6.0" x 3.7" x 1.2"

Foam inside squashes down slightly for a snug fit of the 2TB.

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this.

Thanks, mike27oct. I bought the case you suggested and it is very nicely made. Your diminsions are on the money. And the price was reasonable. However, I’m still on the lookout for a case that fits more closely, especially on the long dimension. So if anyone has had success with alternative case please post.

I get the feeling that the MPW, for logical reasons, has dimensions that are unlike a lot of other portable drives.

I’m also looking into the WD case for the MPW but wonder if it’s not rigid enough:

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/DisplayAccesoryProductDetailsPage/ThemeID.21986300/Accessories/My_Passport_Wireless_Carrying_Case/productID.308990900/categoryId.13095700

Hmmm, this WD case is a recent new addition.  Seems like a nice one – for twice the money, but fit might be better.  My MPW fits in the middle of the length with a half inch on top and bottom to spare, and since it is held by the secure elastic strap, a bonk on top or bottom edge might add some protection seeing as the MPW is not jam-up against the case edges.  I would expect the WD case to give enough protection, too.  No case adds total protection, so I carry my devices in these casee within a tote bag when I travel.

Yes, I agree, and I position the short cable in a way that it takes up the extra space but on the other side of the case. It works out well. I’ll let you know how the WD case measures up…no pun intended…

I went to the WD website ready to order their custom case but was put off by the shipping fee. I was about to bail when a pop-up window asked me if I’d be interested in free shipping. That was enough to sweeten the pot! The case arrived and I like it a lot. It’s a very different proportion than other case I’ve seen but for good reason: it accommodates the large power cube too. Definitely much deeper than typical portable HD cases. Exterior dimensions are about 5.5" tall x 4" wide x 2.75" deep.

Sounds good,  It better fit perfectly since it was made for the MPW, cable and as you mention, the power cube.  I just put the cable in a cable case along with my Anker 40W 5-banger USB charger that charges anything that takes 5V.  In black or white.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875893020&cm_re=amker_40w_charger-_-75-893-020-_-Product

That charger looks sweet.

It is sweet.  Just plug into it, and it figures out what you plugged in.  It’s on my computer desk and filled up, and I have a less powerful earlier model that is in my travel bag.  On sale right now at Newegg link, and Amazon wants more.

Hi,

Are there any recommendations for a water-proof and shock resistant carry case?

Thanks.

I don’t think so.  I suggest you use one of the cases here and put it inside of a heavy duty ziplock quart bag for waterproofing, and put that (wrapped in bubble wrap) inside of a gallom size zip lock for additional shock resistance and waterproofing…

Good idea - thanks.

does any one know wher to get th 20% off anything in stock now? the check out asks for a promo code but WD says they dont do that any more. Yea right then why R the waiting for yhr corret code if none were to be the truth. info from

We have 2 Western Digital promos for you to choose from including 1 sale, and 1 free shipping promo. Latest offer: ‘Check Out Featured Products Today’ In the last day, 1 promos have been used. The last time an offer was used was April 30, 2015.

How to use a Western Digital coupon

Western Digital offers free shipping on orders over $100 - no coupon needed. Shop the “Outlet” section of the website to find the biggest discount on select items. You can save by20% on any order clicking the on-going promotional link on the Western Digital website. Additional offers from Western Digital can be found at Coupons.com.

PLZ HELP with a

WD 5TB Elements External Desktop Hard Disk Drive

Off-topic question.  Nevertheless, you do not shop in the forums, you shop at the WD Store, and the WD Outlet Store.  Link for the Store:

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/DisplayHomePage

Find Promo Codes, Promotional Codes, Promotion Codes, Free Shipping Codes and Discounts to save money. https://www.promocodeshub.com/