More Info Needed - The WD My Cloud is Disconnecting from the Network

My observation my my WDMC was that it would never lockup if I turned off the Hard Drive sleep feature, and if I turned it on it would lock in the next 24 hours.

@ FrodoB,

Mine does not do that anymore. Which is weird because it used to do it in the beginning. I have been testing extensively lately and have been able to do remote and copy, delete, paste, play music, watch a video over Ipad and Airplay, others have been able to access it and me at the same time. And when it is left alone the light just starts to pulse and goes to sleep and as soon the first WOL takes place it comes back to life again and does it’s Safepoint every night as well access to FTP and so forth. I am just stunned. It was giving me **bleep**, now it seems to be tamed and has got rid off all it’s demons. hahaha.

That is wonderful news, I traded mine for the MBL and it is perfect it would seem.  I am glad to hear that yours seems to be doing well.

Does it mean that you…

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer: Yes. I can NOT.
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard: Yes. I can NOT.
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network: Yes. I can NOT
  4. Cannot Ping the Device: Yes. I can NOT
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table: Not sure.

Clarification : What firmware are you presently using?  If you are not using the most current firmware release, 3.03.02, you may want to update to it.  We found that the performance degradation issue may have been one cause for the network disconnect issue. 

Im using the latest firmware (Auto update activated): v03.03.02-165

Whatever additional details you can provide may also help us with your particular issue. 

1. Router Name and Model: Fritzbox 7390.
  2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router: No. The MyCloud is connected to a gigabit switch (Sitecome): LN-121 v2001 - 8 ports (work perfect with all other dvices)
  3. How often does the device disconnect: Every night
  4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions: Unplug and plug the power cable from the MyCloud. After aprox. 3 minutes rebooting, everything works again.
  5. LED color when offline: white/gray
  6. From the Dashboard
1. Content Scan Status: <font color="#FF0000">Idle</font>
2. Capacity usage Details:

1. Free Space: <font color="#FF0000">3.3 TB Free,</font>
  2. Videos: <font color="#FF0000">420 GB</font>
  3. Tracks: <font color="#FF0000">16 GB</font>
  4. Photos: <font color="#FF0000">59 GB</font>
  5. other: <font color="#FF0000">120GB</font>

New!

1. ISP: Kabeldeutchland (Germany)
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc): Cabel
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.): N/A
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details.
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  No
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  No
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts?: Yes

I need a solution asap!! Anyhelp appreciated.

I have only had this for a few days & I am getting random disconnects. My Cloud just disappears from the network

Does it mean that you…

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer: Yes. I can NOT.
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard: Yes. I can NOT.
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network: Yes. I can NOT
  4. Cannot Ping the Device: Yes. I can NOT
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table: Not present but has a reserved IP address

Clarification : What firmware are you presently using?  If you are not using the most current firmware release, 3.03.02, you may want to update to it.  We found that the performance degradation issue may have been one cause for the network disconnect issue. 

WDMyCloud v03.03.02-165 : Core F/W

Whatever additional details you can provide may also help us with your particular issue. 

1. Router Name and Model: Virgin Superhub Gigabit

2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router: Yes

3. How often does the device disconnect: Seems to be random

4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions: Cannot be sure as it is random

5. LED color when offline: Blue

6. From the Dashboard

7. Content Scan Status: Cannot access device

8. Capacity usage Details:

1. Free Space:&nbsp;<font color="#FF0000">3.3 TB Free,</font>
2. Videos:&nbsp;<font color="#FF0000">420 GB</font>
3. Tracks:&nbsp;<font color="#FF0000">16 GB</font>
4. Photos:&nbsp;<font color="#FF0000">59 GB</font>
5. other:&nbsp;<font color="#FF0000">120GB</font>

New!

1. ISP: Virgin
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc): Fibre
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.):No
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details. AVG But computer gets turned off
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  No
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  No
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts?: Yes

This is a serious issue as it is serving my home network for several users.

Woops,

Forgot this bit…

1. From the Dashboard

2. Content Scan Status: Cannot access device

3. Capacity usage Details:

1. Free Space:&nbsp;<font color="#FF0000">1.7 TB Free,</font>
2. Videos:&nbsp;<font color="#FF0000">4.1 GB</font>
3. Tracks:&nbsp;<font color="#FF0000">64GB</font>
4. Photos:&nbsp;<font color="#FF0000">120 GB</font>
5. other:&nbsp;<font color="#FF0000">95GB</font>

Stage 1 seems to be that the drive disappears from “Network” in Explorer even though it is still accessable as a mapped drive. My “My Book Live” is still visible as a “Computer” but the My Cloud only appears in “Storage”

Rebooting the computer seems to get the drive back as a “Computer”.

Most strange.

Come on WD, Answers please.

I have had my unit for about a week and was having problems disconnecting also. I went in and changed the sleep setting - I do not allow it to go to sleep and have no problems since.

Does it mean that you…

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer:  I can NOT.
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard:  I can NOT.
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network:I can NOT
  4. Cannot Ping the Device: I can NOT
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table: Inactive

Im using the latest firmware (Auto update activated): v03.03.02-165

Also have my economy saver button deactivated.

Slow transfer, maximum speed write 12 Mb/s

1. Router Name and Model: Thomson TG 784n (100Mb ethports)
  2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router: Yes.
  3. How often does the device disconnect: Every night.
  4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions: Unplug and plug the power cable from the MyCloud. After aprox. 3 minutes rebooting, everything works again.
  5. LED color when offline: white/gray
  6. From the Dashboard
1. Content Scan Status: <font color="#ff0000">Idle</font>

1. Free Space:&nbsp;1.9<font color="#ff0000"> TB Free,</font>
  2. Videos:&nbsp;23<font color="#ff0000"> GB</font>
  3. Tracks:&nbsp;1<font color="#ff0000"> GB</font>
  4. Photos:&nbsp;31<font color="#ff0000"> GB</font>
  5. other: 35<font color="#ff0000">GB</font>

New!

1. ISP: MEO (Portugal)
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc): Fiber
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.): N/A
  4. Antivirus software on the computer? Bitdefender 2013
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  windows8
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  No
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts?: Yes

I need a solution asap!! Anyhelp appreciated.

I only have mycloud 2 days.

I also had 1T worldedition with the same problem. I have sold it to buy another one better but seem it was a mistake.

2Radios,    That may stop it disconnecting for you but it is not ideal. It should not disconnect just because the disc has spun down, the system is still running & it is “Available”. I hate to think how much it will shorten its life if it is running constantly.

Yes but this is a clue for at least a part of the systems that have this issue.  Mine was the same, if you disabled the disk sleeping it would never lock up, but as soon as you turned it on it would lock up within 10 to 12 hours.

Does it mean that you…

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer No
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard  No
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network  No
  4. Cannot Ping the Device  No
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table  No

Clarification : What firmware are you presently using?  If you are not using the most current firmware release, 3.03.02, you may want to update to it.  We found that the performance degradation issue may have been one cause for the network disconnect issue. 3.03.02. As well as the latest WD My Cloud Software (V: 1.0.4.34)

1. Router Name and Model - Cisco - EA6500
  2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router - Yes
  3. How often does the device disconnect - Everyday since I bought it!
  4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions - No, just disconnects after it has been sitting idle … can’t get it to reconnect (Has a mind of it’s own)
  5. LED color when offline - Blue now (has been blinking white before)
  6. From the Dashboard - Can’t pull up the dashboard!
1. Content Scan Status

1. Free Space
  2. Videos
  3. Tracks
  4. Photos
  5. other

New!

1. ISP - Shentel
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc) - Cable
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.) Windows Backup
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details. - Norton 360
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  If so, provide details. - Norton 360
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  If so, provide details. - No
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? - This thing is pissing me off so bad I do not know if I want to keep it!  I’m a photographer and ALL of my photos is on this drive!

I  Cannot find device from the Explorer
  I  Cannot Access the Dashboard
  I  Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network
  I  Cannot Ping the Device
 My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table

When WD My Cloud is working right:

I  Can find device from the Explorer
  I  Can Access the Dashboard
  I  Can Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network
  I  Can Ping the Device
 My Cloud IP address is present in the Routers routing table

I’m new to your forum out of necessity. I hope this might be posted and not deleted. I don’t see much of anything being said negatively. I just bought the WD My Cloud 3 TB. So far it’s been off line more than online. I see everybody giving you all this information about every detail that you have been asking for. There are pages and pages of that kind of information and nothing being done about it except you wanting, and them giving you all kinds of information to you. I believe there’s close to 300 people wanting help and who can tell how many just put everything back in the box and got a refund. I’m just about at that point my self. I really like it when it’s running. Love it on my mobile devices. And the transfer rate is not unbearable. I get about 35 meg a second. All the complaints are about the same with pretty much the same information for you. I’m not going to give you all that information because you have plenty already. I will tell you this. It’s hooked directly to my Warner cable ubee DDW3611A9 moden/router. I have there fastest internet rated at 100 meg download speed that Time Warner offers. I originally had it hooked to a gigabyte switch but removed that from the equation because it went down for over 24 hours, but had worked before that for most of a day. Yesterday afternoon I hooked the My Cloud directly to the modem/router. Finally it went back on line around 11pm last night. About 11 pm tonight it disappeared again. I was moving files, renaming files, & deleting files and renaming folders and making new folders all day without much of a hiccup. I noticed a few time it hesitated excuting what I ask it to do. I was renaming a folder and it said it couldn’t complete the task because it was no longer on my network.

I would think by now with all the complaints and your knowledge, you guys would have figured it out by now. My laptop is hooked to my network. My printers are hooked to the network. And both stay connected. Everything that’s wirelessly hooked to my network (except when Warner Cable screws up) stays online. I’m giving it a few more days and if I see no difference, it’ll go back while I can get my money back.

The one thing that most of us have in common no matter what there other equipment is, The WD My Cloud is cycling on and off. So far mines seeming to do it around every 24 hours or so. We all hope help is on the way.

1 Like

After the Level 2 Support I was able to get my My Cloud working properly. It has now started this behavior… I have not changed anything since receiving help a week ago.

Does it mean that you…

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer: Non-Responsive; Error when trying to access
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard: Non-Responsive; Just stays on the initial page.
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network: Non-Responsive: Nothing displays to access.
  4. Cannot Ping the Device: Did not try since everything else was non-responsive.
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table: IP was present in the Router Table.

1. Router Name and Model: <font color="#FF0000">Linksys WRT54g2</font>
    2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router: <font color="#FF0000">At present it is on a Linksys Gigabyte Switch; But it has been tried on the just the router.</font>
    3. How often does the device disconnect: <font color="#FF0000">After it fell Asleep, not sure of the time period; "Sleep Mode Activated"</font>
    4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions: <font color="#FF0000">After it fell Asleep, not sure of the time period; "Sleep Mode Activated"</font>
    5. LED color when offline: <font color="#FF0000">Blue</font>
    6. From the Dashboard

1. Content Scan Status:<font color="#FF0000"> Idle</font>
      2. Capacity usage Details: <font color="#FF0000">Total Usage = 270GB</font>

1. Free Space: <font color="#FF0000">2.7GB</font>
        2. Videos: <font color="#FF0000">No Videos</font>
        3. Tracks
        4. Photos
        5. other

New!

1. ISP: <font color="#FF0000">Comcast</font>
    2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc): <font color="#FF0000">Cable</font>
    3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.): <font color="#FF0000">None; I use Acronis BootCD for Backups from PC's and WD Desktop App. Time Machine, Smartware is "OFF"</font>
    4. Antivirus software on the computer?&nbsp; If so, provide details. <font color="#FF0000">Avast Pro</font>
    5. Firewall software on the computer?&nbsp; If so, provide details. <font color="#FF0000">ZoneAlarm Pro</font>
    6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?&nbsp; If so, provide details. <font color="#FF0000">No</font>
    7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? <font color="#FF0000">Yes, naturally :wink:</font>

Has there been any progress in this area. I don’t think WD’s silence is serving it’s customers in a favorable fashion. This is not a case of “Silence is Golden”. Any news, whether good or bad, is better than no news. At least we would feel as if something is being done.

Forgot to add: Firnware version: v03.03.02-165

Does it mean that you…

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer: No, I can’t
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard: No I can’t
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network: No, I can’t.
  4. Cannot Ping the Device: No ,I can’t.
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table: No.  

Firware version: v03.03.02-165

• Router Name and Model: linksys E900
  • Is the My cloud connected directly to the router: Yes 
  • How often does the device disconnect: Every 6-12 hours
  • Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions: No. 
  • LED color when offline: blue 
  • From the Dashboard: Not accessible
  1. Content Scan Status: Idle

3. Free Space: 2.9TB

4. Videos: 15 GB

5. Tracks: 0 

6. Photos: 20 GB

7. other: 2.5GB

New!

• ISP : Time warner cable
  • Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc): Cable
  • Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.): Smartware, Quickview
  • Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details.: Microsofte security essentials
  • Firewall software on the computer?  If so, provide details.
  • Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  If so, provide details.: No.
  • Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts?: Yes

Having the same issue with the 4TB My Cloud device:

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer - No. Times out
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard - No. Connection times out
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network - No. Unable to access device
  4. Cannot Ping the Device - No. Device does not respond
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table - No. The static IP does not show

Current Firmware:  v03.03.02-165

1. Router Name and Model - Netgear WNR3500
  2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router - Yes
  3. How often does the device disconnect - 3 times a day minimum
  4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions - No, just during idle time
  5. LED color when offline - LED remains blue
  6. From the Dashboard
1. Content Scan Status -<font color="#FF0000"> Idle</font>

1. Free Space -<font color="#FF0000"> 3.6TB Free</font>
  2. Videos -<font color="#FF0000"> 550 videos</font>
  3. Tracks - <font color="#FF0000">6654 music tracks</font>
  4. Photos - <font color="#FF0000">2538 pictures</font>
  5. other

New!

1. ISP - Comcast PA
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc) - Cable
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.) - No
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details. - Yes. Norton Internet Security Version 20.4.0.40
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  If so, provide details. - Yes. Part of Norton Internet Security
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  If so, provide details. - No USB attached
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? - Yes

Other information:

Settings (General):  NTP is Disabled

Remote Access: On

Drive Sleep: Off

LED: On

Time Machine: Off (not on MAC)

(Network) : Private IP - Static

SSH: Off

FTP: Off

(Media):  DLNA Media Streaming: On (version 7.2.6-2E_7.4.0-14)

iTunes Server: Off

I’m not sure if any of this additional information will help. I was considering changing the port forwarding settings to something other than 80 or 443 to see if that might have an issue but I have not tried it yet.

The other possibility is the DNS server settings. I currently have them set to Google’s public DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). I will change them to the router’s gateway, then to the ISP’s to see if that may have an effect or not. I don’t see why it would but you never know.

Thanks for your efforts and I hope a solution can be implemented soon.

For those who may be wondering if anything is hapening with regard to this issue, I have just had an e-mail from a Sam D at WD asking that I upload some firmware to enable sending logs to them. I have uploaded this & I now await a disconnect. I have to say that, since the initial disconnects & my request for help, the drive has remained connected!!!. Typical isn’t it.

Anyway, thank you WD for responding & let’s hope you can get what you need from this.

Regards,

Greytide.

Hello

I also have received an email from WD suport, also from Sam D. and i made what they want.

Upload two files .deb for logs and now must wait for a response.

For the first time since I bought, after this night mycloud is still log on the network. Could be the files logs .deb that I send to Wd?

Hi

I had the same problem.

My cloud stopped working after around 1-2hours without traffic.

When I pinged the my cloud the “Activity” light on the network port light up. but didn’t reply.  

Is looked like the device has gone into a sleep mode where it had stopped looking at the LAN port.

I solved my problem by running a:

Sudo apt-get update

Sudo apt-get upgrade

And now my cloud have worked for around 24h without problems.

PS I hope that you soon will be able to make a new FW solving this issue.