More Info Needed - The WD My Cloud is Disconnecting from the Network

Answers to additional questions:

1. ISP: NGI (Italy)
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc): radio - EOLOwave
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? No
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?  Avira Free Antivirus
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  Windows Firewall
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  No
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? Yes. Already sent logs from My Cloud

P.S. in the last 2 days I have experienced NO disconnection

Best,
M.

I Cannot find device from the Explorer.

I Cannot Access the Dashboard

Ping returns “unknown host”

My Cloud Firmware 03.03.02-165

1. Linksys WRT320N Firmware. 1.0.05

2. Yes, directly

3. Every day at least once, mosly overnight

4. Mostly when idle for longer time

5. LED is blue. Or wait, it looks like both white+blue LEDs are on, and drive is spinning altough i have “drive sleep” on!

6a. Idle, all checked

6b.

I. 1.8 TB Free

II. 4.2 GB

III. 2.3 MB

IV. 140 GB

V. 12 GB

1. UPC Hungary

2. Cable

3. No Backup or NAS

4. No Antivirus

5. OSX default firewall, and Little Snitch

6. No USB connected

7. Yes

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer----Yes
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard------Yes
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network-----Yes
  4. Cannot Ping the Device—Yes
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table—Yes

What firmware are you presently using?  v03.03.02-165 and 03.01.04-139

Whatever additional details you can provide may also help us with your particular issue. 

1. Router Name and Model-----Belkin Share Max N300 (F7D3301/F7D7301) v1
  2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router----Yes
  3. How often does the device disconnect-------Once every day on average. Sometimes a few days
  4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions------No because I just left it on idle, each day at night I power cycle to gain access, then next day at night cannot access.
  5. LED color when offline----Blue
  6. From the Dashboard
1. Content Scan Status--------Idle when it can be access
2. Capacity usage Details:

1. Free Space--------2.5T
  2. Videos--------170GB
  3. Tracks-------19MB
  4. Photos--------180GB
  5. other------------80GB

New!

1. ISP--------Comcast CA
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc)---------CAble
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.) WD Smartware
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?  Microsoft Security Essentials
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  NO
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  Yes WD 2T element
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? Yes It’s be 2 month since I got the drive , I got an replacement and was working for about 1 month and it started to disconnect again recently. I haven’t really put anything important on the drive due to instability.

Hi, after disconnectiong my USB cable, it seems working. Cable was only connected to the WD Cloud drive without any system attached. /DD

Hi,

I experience this issue as well:

Cannot find device from the Explorer → yes
Cannot Access the Dashboard → yes
Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network → yes
Cannot Ping the Device → not tried
The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table → yes

What firmware are you presently using? → 03.03.02-165

Router Name and Model → Telekom Speedport 921V
Is the My cloud connected directly to the router → no, switch and devolo powerlan in between
How often does the device disconnect → depends on fill level; empty-> never, 10% → 12-24hours, 20% → 4 hours
Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions → no
LED color when offline → steady dark blue

From the Dashboard → currenty empty to prevent disconnect
Content Scan Status → “-”
Capacity usage Details:
Free Space 2 TB
Videos 3.5 GB
Tracks 0 KB
Photos 45 GB
other -47830764 KB

ISP → Deutsch Telekom
Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc) → VDSL
Backup/NAS software on computers? → no
Antivirus software on the computer? → Avira Free Antivirus
Firewall software on the computer?  →   No, Windows Firewall disabled
Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  → no
Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? → yes

I’ve had my 4TB MyCloud for two weeks and have noticed each day (or at various times throughout the day) that it cannot be acessed. (Does not seem related to expiration of DHCP client expiration)

WD Community,

In an attempt to get better information on this particular issue, the My Cloud disconnecting from the network, we are asking the community for more help.  Please, if you have issues with the drive disconnecting, can you provide us with further information based on the list below?

For users reporting the device disconnected, what exactly does the disconnecting mean to you? 

Does it mean that you…

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer - yes
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard - yes
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network - yes
  4. Cannot Ping the Device - have not tried yet when Mycloud has dropped off network.
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table - address is present. DHCP license has not expired.

Clarification : What firmware are you presently using?  If you are not using the most current firmware release, 3.03.02, you may want to update to it.  We found that the performance degradation issue may have been one cause for the network disconnect issue. 

Whatever additional details you can provide may also help us with your particular issue. 

1. Router Name and Model <font color="#ff0000">- TrendNet TEW-692GR</font>
    2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router - yes
    3. How often does the device disconnect <font color="#ff0000">- every 4 to 24 hours. </font>
    4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions - <font color="#ff0000">Drops after being idle. NOTE: sleep mode is turned off.</font>
    5. LED color when offline <font color="#ff0000">- solid, blue</font>
    6. From the Dashboard

1. Content Scan Status <font color="#ff0000">- idle</font>

1. Free Space <font color="#ff0000">- 2.9TB</font>
        2. Videos <font color="#ff0000">- 18GB</font>
        3. Tracks <font color="#ff0000">- 0 KB</font>
        4. Photos<font color="#ff0000"> - 21GB</font>
        5. other <font color="#ff0000">- 3.2GB</font>

New!

1. ISP <font color="#ff0000">- CenturyLink</font>
    2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc) <font color="#ff0000">- DSL</font>
    3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.) <font color="#ff0000">- use windows backup but have not currently set it to save the backup to Mycloud yet.</font>
    4. Antivirus software on the computer?&nbsp; If so, provide details<font color="#ff0000">. - McAfee Antivirus Plus. No errors/notifications related to MyCloud reported in the logs.</font>
    5. Firewall software on the computer?&nbsp; If so, provide details.<font color="#ff0000"> - McAfee Antivirus Plus. No errors/notifications related to MyCloud reported in the logs.</font>
    6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?&nbsp; If so, provide details.<font color="#ff0000"> - no</font>
    7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? <font color="#ff0000">- yes</font>

Note: Please keep this thread on topic.  Otherwise, we may have to move or remove your replies.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts.  And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue.  This may help someone else.

My Cloud (4 TB, P/N  WDBCTL0040HWT , S/N WCC4E0615990 disconnecting from the network and I:

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network
  4. Cannot Ping the Device
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table? MAC address is in the router table.

I have firmware version v03.01.04-139 (device will not remain on line long enough to upgrade.

Upgrade message:

Following events are generated on your WDMyCloud.

Event title:Firmware update failed

Event description:The firmware update failed. Please retry, and if failure persists, contact customer service.

Severity:warning

Event code:1003

Event time:02-09-2014 01:51:01 PM

Firmware version:           03.01.04-139

The device is very hot to the touch. Could it be that it overheats and cycles itself off? If I let it cool down, it will restart and come online. This seems to last about 15 minutes and the cycle repeats. This happens like clockwork. I only get 15 minutes of uptime before it cycles. The firmware update timed out at 16:01 minutes because the device cycled offline.

1. Router: Linksys WRT54G
  2. My cloud is connected directly to the router
  3. How often does the device disconnect? After 15 minutes of up time
  4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions? Cannot say. Not online long enough to determine
  5. LED color when offline? Solid White
  6. From the Dashboard
  7. Content Scan Status
  8. Capacity usage Details:
  9. Free Space:
  10. Videos: O Mb
  11. Tracks: None
  12. Photos: ~ 8Mb
  13. other

New!

1. ISP: Comcast
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc): Cable
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? Smartware
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?  Norton Security Suite, Version 21.1.0.18
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  Yes, Norton Security Suite
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  No
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? Yes, provided a solution is found prior to the end of the retail return period.

I have the same problem.

So do think the issue is regardless the ISP, router aso.

It is a typuical WD issue.

But not seen any reply / solution from WD !

Think it it time for it…

Have My Cloud for 5 days and 2nd to install for mu Duaghter but seems not the right choce if we cannot connect…

Carmin54 wrote:

I have the same problem.

So do think the issue is regardless the ISP, router aso.

It is a typuical WD issue.

But not seen any reply / solution from WD !

Think it it time for it…

Have My Cloud for 5 days and 2nd to install for mu Duaghter but seems not the right choce if we cannot connect…

Carmin54,

You need to fill out the information request at the top of this thread if you think you have the same issue.  Otherwise, your post will be removed.  This whole thread is WD working with users to identify the exact issues that may be causing the disconnect.  If you read the original post, you’d know WD started this thread. Please supply the information we ask for in the first post, so we can use your information to help us help you.

Here the input

1. Router Name and Model  TP LINK Archer C7 in bridge with Zyxel 2812
  2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router  YES
  3. How often does the device disconnect  After 1 hour not possible to reconnect
  4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions Unknown
  5. LED color when offline
  6. From the Dashboard
  7. Content Scan Status  ERROR on Snapshot or IDLE
  8. Capacity usage Details:
    1.                                                                                       i.        Free Space 1, 8 tb
    2.                                                                                      ii.        Videos 30 GB
    3.                                                                                     iii.        Tracks 410 MB
    4.                                                                                     iv.        Photos 61 GB
    5.                                                                                      v.        Other 30 GB

New!

1. ISP Telfort nL
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc) VDSL
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.) Smartware Goodsync
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details MS Sec Essentials.
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  If so, provide details. Windows
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  If so, provide details. No
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts?  YES

On settings / network profile it says no Internet access whereas I connect fm other laptop / ipad.

Did quick test and got feedback passed.

Is on a static IP address

Awesome, thanks.

[edit]

I passed your information along.

All of a sudden but more or less 3 hrs after I managed to reconnect (after switching off/on the power) the connection broker down…

So there must ne somewhere a hidden section that disconnects after 180 mins…

Again by no means able to contact the NAS nor the dashboard,

Also WD Disoverry cannot find it.

Pls, pls help !

one way to solve this problem is if we all go and return this product. WD really needs to know not to launch products prematurely, and cloud solution is the only reason i paid an extra 80$ for this product. it **bleep** that it doesnt work.

I’m off to canada computers tomorrow to return is pretty looking beast… 

1 Like

Device: WD My Cloud 2TB - sn. [Deleted]

Problem: My WD My Cloud disconnects each night and each morning I find my router with the WAN turned off and I need to cycle the power to both devices to make it work again. I am novice on computers so I will give you only the information I know.

Does it mean that you…

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer Yes
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard Yes
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network Yes
  4. Cannot Ping the Device Didn’t try
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table Don’t know

Clarification : What firmware are you presently using?  v03.03.02-165

1. Router Name and Model <font color="#ff0000"><span style="line-height: normal;">TP-LINK WR841N</span></font>
  2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router <font color="#FF0000">Yes</font>
  3. How often does the device disconnect <font color="#FF0000">Daily</font>
  4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions <font color="#FF0000">No actions</font>
  5. LED color when offline <font color="#FF0000">Purple? or white </font>
  6. From the Dashboard

1. Content Scan Status <font color="#FF0000">Idle</font>

1. Free Space <font color="#FF0000">1.8TB</font>
      2. Videos <font color="#FF0000">25GB</font>
      3. Tracks 180MB
      4. Photos <font color="#FF0000">80GB</font>
      5. other <font color="#FF0000">48GB</font>

New! 

1. ISP <font color="#FF0000">RDS Romania</font>
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc) <font color="#FF0000">Fiber</font>
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.) <font color="#FF0000">Smartware installed without using it, Quickview running in background</font>
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?&nbsp; If so, provide details.<font color="#FF0000"> Avira freeware</font>
  5. Firewall software on the computer?&nbsp; If so, provide details. <font color="#FF0000">No</font>
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?&nbsp; If so, provide details. <font color="#FF0000">No</font>
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? <font color="#FF0000">Yes</font>
  8. <font color="#FF0000">Connected devices on network: Wired: 1 Laptop, 1 Smart TV, 1 WD My Cloud. Wireless: 1 Laptop, 2 Iphones, 1 Ipad, 1 PS3.</font>
  9. <font color="#FF0000"> Enabled WD Photos and WD My Cloud apps installed on 2 Iphones and 1 Ipad</font>
  10. <font color="#FF0000">2 users</font>
  11. <font color="#FF0000">Static IP, SSH off, FTP access off, Media streaming enabled, Itunes server on, </font> **&nbsp;**

Again lost connection overnight.

cannot ascertain after how many hours/minutes.

WD brings me sleepless nights but try to take some hours.

Changed fm static to DHCP to assure it would get / hv ip address.

In router TP Link reserved the originally static address 10.0.0.50 in the DHCP table to the MAC address of MyCloud.

Could ping inside TP Link as well as in Zyxel modem.

Desktop and laptop linked cabled/wireless to the TP Link do not loose connection.

LED still continious on.

Now cannot ping to the MyCloud anymore even inside the router.

So it is for sure a technical problem inside the MYCLoud.

Shall contact reseller to make a reservation to return the MyCloud’s (have 2 of which one still in the box unopened)

that if not solved with 7 calenderdays from now they have to take it back giving me the option to choose another product than WD.

addinfo

found in log the confirmation it goes down after 3 hrs

Feb 10 00:02:13 MyCloudF wdmcserver: [6038:0x41b62460] Info  Finished crawling: ‘/shares/F*/Mijn afbeeldingen/Familie/2009/Huis apirl 2009’ (21 items, 0.456 W   0.110 U   0.010 S   26.3%).

Feb 10 02:59:23 MyCloudF wdmcserver: [6038:0x416d6460] Info  Transcoded Batch on ‘/shares’ for P1 (100 items, 69.393 W   0.850 U   0.480 S   1.9%).

Set lease in TP Link to 2880 min so that is not the issue…

Issue in my eyes simple somehwere the WD MYCloud gets an order to stop/freeze after 3 hrs…

Does it mean that you…

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer - Yes
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard - Yes
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network - Not configured yet
  4. Cannot Ping the Device - Yes
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table- cannot say, used static lease in router, it always shows…

Clarification : What firmware are you presently using? v03.03.02-165 

If you are not using the most current firmware release, 3.03.02, you may want to update to it.  We found that the performance degradation issue may have been one cause for the network disconnect issue. 

1. Router Name and Model <font color="#FF0000">UBEE EVW3200</font>
    2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router<font color="#FF0000"> -Yes, wired connection</font>
    3. How often does the device disconnect <font color="#FF0000">every 24 hours, so far only when idle. </font>
    4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions <font color="#FF0000">Few hours after first installation and after copying 100GB of Photo's. When it first happened I did a full system retore and repeated the complete procedure. Same thing happened between 4-16 hours after finalyzing copying the photo's</font>
    5. LED color when offline <font color="#FF0000">-Blue, ethernet led's on connector flashing frequently, as in normal 'idle' situation'</font>
    6. From the Dashboard<font color="#FF0000"> - cannot enter the dashboard, so no observations when disconnected. However: the two times that I copied the 100GB of photo's, the content scan showed error, fault 200500 - internal server error. somewhere else in the thread somebody mentioned problems with high-res photos like panorama's. I have those as well.</font>

1. Content Scan Status

1. Free Space <font color="#FF0000">1.7TB</font>
        2. Videos <font color="#FF0000">120GB</font>
        3. Tracks <font color="#FF0000">0</font>
        4. Photos <font color="#FF0000">94GB</font>
        5. other <font color="#FF0000">0</font>

New!

1. ISP -<font color="#FF0000"> ZIGGO cable 40Mbps, docsis</font>
    2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc)
    3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.) -No<font color="#FF0000">ne, timemachine support on mycloud switched to disabled</font>
    4. Antivirus software on the computer?&nbsp; <font color="#FF0000">If so, provide details. Macbook pro, no additional SW</font>
    5. Firewall software on the computer?&nbsp;<font color="#FF0000"> If so, provide details. Macbook pro, no additional SW</font>
    6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?&nbsp; If so, provide details. <font color="#FF0000">NO</font>
    7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts?<font color="#FF0000">Limited time, limited commandline experience...</font>

PLEASE ADVISE: My device is brandnew. Should I return the unit to reseller? any indication of this being a software bug/HW issue? 

Note: Please keep this thread on topic.  Otherwise, we may have to move or remove your replies.

More Dutchies having the same problem thus.

So it is very unlikely a user error/setting. It is inside the WD MyCloud !

1 Like

Strange enough no shut down/freeze after restart yday 19.30 hrs…

Did not change anything.

This mrng I switched Media Server to ON as may expect from WD to believe this should work properly.

On dashboard it went on to SCAN and after abt 1/2 hr status become IDLE.

Let’s keep the fingers crossed…

Very strange, been away in hospital a week, so as expected drive had gone off line whilst away, in fact my son had turned it on and off a few times to re-access the contents.

It had no lights on at all last night when I came home so cycled the power, and it restarted, and it is still live today so far?

I have a one week old WDMC 3TB.  I loose connection to it whenever I connect my WD Passport 1TB external USB drive into the WDMC USB3 port.  Unconnect the USB drive and the WDMC comes back to life.

Let me know if you want all the details.