More Info Needed - The WD My Cloud is Disconnecting from the Network

Mine too is now working reliably after disconnecting every few hours initially.

I wonder if it is doing something after a huge upload of initial data which makes it drop off the network as it is too busy to stay live?

Once indexing is completed it could become more reliable. I read in another thread that it is creating thumbnails for all the photos and other files. I have uploaded around 150000 photos and music tracks and  it will ahve been indexing these and creating thumbnails. Now this is done it seems to be much faster accessing files and completely reliable in use

1 Like

Ken3966.

You may have a point there. My initial problems were also during the time when I coppied a large number of files over & then ran a safepoint. Maybe the “I’m alive” (or whatever it has ) gets forced into the background by the load on the processor. Hopefully WD will look into this as part of their investigations.

Greytide wrote:

Stage 1 seems to be that the drive disappears from “Network” in Explorer even though it is still accessable as a mapped drive. My “My Book Live” is still visible as a “Computer” but the My Cloud only appears in “Storage”

Rebooting the computer seems to get the drive back as a “Computer”.

Most strange.

Come on WD, Answers please.

Guys,

We are looking into all of it.  We are having to address each person’s situation individually to make sure that there aren’t additional causes.  Normally, once we hear about the issue, there will be a flurry of activity to investigate and replicate.  That’s when we’re contacting you for more information.  Then, everything will seem to slide into inactivity, and it seems like you have been forgotten.  That’s when we’re in the fixing and testing stage.  It’s usually a longer period of time, but that’s when we’re also preparing a release.  Believe me, we wish we could whip out a fix as fast as you want us to, but unfortunately it doesn’t work that way.  Just know that we are extremely thankful that you are willing to work with us to help us understand the problem so we can work on a fix for it.  And, more than ever, we appreciate the patience you have shown during this time.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting that. It is so easy to think that nothing is happening when you are beavering away behind the scenes. I know what it is like as I was in software for a considerable number of years before I retired.

It is good to know that you are on the case & will keep us posted with progress.

I have loaded the .deb but my drive now seems to want to stay connected. Just a waiting game!!

Cheers,

Greytide.

Thanks for understanding, Greytide.

Thank You Bill_S for posting your reply and keeping us updated … many, many Thanks :wink:

I’m more happy knowing that WD is working on this issue and im glad that i can help. Engineering has requested for another set of logs for further review.

Having the same problem…Similar to a couple previous posters, I transferred a whole lot of data to the device, then did a Safepoint and the device started disappearing from the network.  I’ll try shutting off the sleep feature and see if that helps anything…

Does it mean that you…

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer - Nope, can’t access from Explorer
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard - Nope, can’t access from Dashboard
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network - Nope, can’t access from My Cloud App on the Wifi network
  4. Cannot Ping the Device - How do you do this?
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table - How do you do this?

Clarification : What firmware are you presently using?  If you are not using the most current firmware release, 3.03.02, you may want to update to it.  We found that the performance degradation issue may have been one cause for the network disconnect issue. 

Whatever additional details you can provide may also help us with your particular issue. 

1. Router Name and Model - D-Link DIR-615C
  2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router - Yes
  3. How often does the device disconnect - Every 5 or 6 hours
  4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions - Uploaded pictures, videos, and did a Safepoint immediately prior to problem - Don’t know if this is just a coincidence or not.
  5. LED color when offline - solid blue
  6. From the Dashboard
1. Content Scan Status - <font color="#FF0000">Scan successful</font>
2. Capacity usage Details:

1. Free Space - <font color="#FF0000">2.9TB</font>
  2. Videos - <font color="#FF0000">5.68GB</font>
  3. Tracks - <font color="#FF0000">0</font>
  4. Photos - <font color="#FF0000">6.57GB</font>
  5. other - <font color="#FF0000">4.61GB of files</font>

New!

1. ISP - Shaw Cable
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc) - Cable
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.) - Using Smartware
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details. - Kaspersky Internet Suite
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  If so, provide details. - Using Kaspersky Internet Suite, Windows Firewall if turned off
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  If so, provide details. - WD Elements BackupDrive
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? - Yes

Forgot to add in my last post - Firmware v03.03.02-165

ThomasKj wrote:

Hi

I had the same problem.

My cloud stopped working after around 1-2hours without traffic.

When I pinged the my cloud the “Activity” light on the network port light up. but didn’t reply.  

Is looked like the device has gone into a sleep mode where it had stopped looking at the LAN port.

I solved my problem by running a:

Sudo apt-get update

Sudo apt-get upgrade

And now my cloud have worked for around 24h without problems.

PS I hope that you soon will be able to make a new FW solving this issue.

ThomasKj,

What you are proposing will break the drive’s compatibility with our firmware upgrade process and may brick the unit if done like this.  We do not recommend users follow this process.

I am having issues connecting to my MyCloud everyday. I basically have to power cycle and let it start back up to get connectivity. Some days I’m too lazy to mess with it so it just stays offline in it’s own little world. As for the status LED, it stays BLUE the whole time I can’t connect.

MyCloud 3TB Firmware v03.03.02-165

1. MyCloud can NOT be found from Explorer on multiple computers.

2. MyCloud can NOT be accessed through the Dashboard.

3. MyCloud can NOT be accessed with MyCloud app on same network through WiFi on multiple devices including Samsung S4 and iPhone 4S.

4. MyCloud does NOT respond to pinging.

5. MyCloud IP address does not appear in router’s routing table.

Additional Details

1. Cisco/Linksys E3000 Firmware Version: 1.0.04 also tried using Cisco RV180W Firmware Version: 1.0.3.10 with same results
  2. MyCloud is connected straight to the router. Does not seem to matter which port it is plugged into.
  3. I have not had time to figure out about how long it takes before it drops off the network. I usually access it anywhere at night from between 1800 till around 0100 the next morning. I find it not on the network, I power cycle the MyCloud and it works for the few hours I am home. At some point during the day it drops because when I get back home and try to access it again I can not find it on the network.
  4. I have not seen any instance where a specific action makes it drop.
  5. The LED color has always been BLUE when the connection issue occurs.
  6. A. Content scan status is ALWAYS scanning. The “Snapshot of your current Media database scan.” Shows 3 green check marks for VIDEOS, MUSIC TRACKS and OTHER. The PHOTOS is ALWAYS at 99%. It is always at 130372 / 131356. B. I. Free space is 1.8TB II. Videos 320GB III. Music Tracks 9.6GB IV. Photos 87GB V. Other 750GB
  7. ISP is Grande Communications with ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / SIP 2.0 Touchstone Telephony Modem
    HW_REV: 3
    VENDOR: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.
    BOOTR: 1.2.1.25
    SW_REV: 7.1.98.SIP
    MODEL: TM722G
  8. Fiber to the curb with last 200-300 foot being cable.
  9. No backup software used. Files are manually moved to MyCloud.
  10. Microsoft Security Essentials on computers.
  11. Firewall software is what’s built into Windows 7.
  12. No USB drive attached to MyCloud.
  13. I am more than willing to work with WD for additional debugging/log gathering efforts.

It also seems to have started doing this more often since January 30 when the last firmware came out.

UPDATE: I now have Content Scan Error. It is now rescanning and still showing 99% on Photos.

I also got the Enablelogging and disableLogging files from Sam D. I don’t know what was in the enableLogging script but I have not had a disconnection since. The only other “minor” encounter was the MyCloud not showing up in the Network section of Windows Explorer now, but still can be clicked and mapped to. However, the problem seems to have stabalized and I am reluctant to upload the disableLogging file for fear of it happening again.

Will leaving the enableLog script loaded be ok? Just curious as to what event info it logs (i.e., just shutdowns and reboots, or uploads and downloads as well). If it continues to grow with logs, I wouldn’t want it to get too large and possibly cause another issue in the future.

Thanks Sam and everyone else who contributed their issues.

Hi Guys,

I bought a WD MyCloud 4TB about 3 weeks back and got about ready to return it. The horror stories on this forum don’t really help. My upgrade to v03.03.02-165 becuase it seemed to of hanged during the upgrade, and became un responsive. So i resetted it, did’nt come back until white lighted for about an hour. The next day it disconnected itself, and I ran into this post. I was about to comment in here to see if it would become disconnected again, but no! It was stable for about 2 weeks. I that point, I was very happy with the device! I did turnoff twonky and itunes media server because I thought they made my drive slow, and don’t use it.

Sadly, i had to unplug it yesterday, and the disconnected again…  sad me!

Does it mean that you…

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer : Nope
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard : NOpe
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network: NO
  4. Cannot Ping the Device; NO
  5. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table: uhmm, I do not where to find those in Airport Utility…

Clarification: What firmware are you presently using?  If you are not using the most current firmware release, 3.03.02, you may want to update to it.  We found that the performance degradation issue may have been one cause for the network disconnect issue. 

Whatever additional details you can provide may also help us with your particular issue. 

1. Router Name and Model Apple Time Capsule V3, it connected directly to an Airport Extreme N version w/ gigabit ethernet
  2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router, nope, see above
  3. How often does the device disconnect: twice in 2.5 weeks, with a 2 week stretch in between where it was rock solid
  4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions: Nope, but it seemed to of returned after I pulled the plug
  5. LED color when offline: blue
  6. From the Dashboard
1. Content Scan Status: <font color="#FF0000"> "-" (turned twonky and itunes server off)</font>

1. Free Space <font color="#FF0000">2.1tb</font>
  2. Videos<font color="#FF0000"> 1.4tb</font>
  3. Tracks <font color="#FF0000">53gb</font>
  4. Photos <font color="#FF0000">61gb</font>
  5. other <font color="#FF0000">380gb</font>

New!

1. ISP: Ziggo (Dutch Cable ISP)
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc): Cable
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.); Macs use Time Machine, but not with Mycloud drive
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details. : nope, mac
  5. Firewall software on the computer?  If so, provide details. : not turned on
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  If so, provide details. : nope
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts? ; of course, specially since the thing was rock solid on this firmware for 2 weeks!

If there is a need for me info, let me know!

Cheerz,

Sebas

For users reporting the device disconnected, what exactly does the disconnecting mean to you? 

Does it mean that you…

Cannot find device from the Explorer           No possible

Cannot Access the Dashboard       No possible

Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network      No possible

Cannot Ping the Device    Not possible

The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table    In the table but not connected.

Clarification: What firmware are you presently using?  If you are not using the most current firmware release, 3.03.02, you may want to update to it.  We found that the performance degradation issue may have been one cause for the network disconnect issue.     03.03.02-165

- Never goes into standby.

- Several times a day, I must disconnect and reconnect the power to recover the WD My Cloud.

Router Name and Model                                 Orange LiveBox 2 Sagem

Is the My cloud connected directly to the router         Yes

How often does the device disconnect        Several times per day

Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions       No

LED color when offline    Blue

From the Dashboard

Content Scan Status        OK

Capacity usage Details:

Free Space        2,9 To

Videos                 520 Mo

Tracks                 2,4 Go

Photos                 44 Go

Other                    4,2Go

New!

ISP        Orange France

Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc)                               DSL

Backup/NAS software on computers? (Smartware, Windows Backup, Time Machine, QuickView, etc.) Not use for backup

Antivirus software on the computer?  If so, provide details.    Microsoft Security Essential

Firewall software on the computer?  If so, provide details.     Included with Microsoft Windows 7

Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?  If so, provide details. No

Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts?           Yes

Philippe (from France, excuse my english)

Purchased my WD My Cloud 3TB WDBCTL0030HWT-NESN on 2-20-2014.  After reading through the user manual I installed the WD unit on 2/22.  Following installation of both the unit and applications I installed the most recent firmware available at the moment 03.03.02-165.  After transferring less than 5gb of pictures from an old hard drive my WD My Cloud disconnected from the network making any application both on desktop and mobile units unable to access my picture files.  The unit was Solid Blue and only after disconnecting the power source did the issue resolve.  However, today 2/23 not doing anything with the unit I have found that the unit has again disconnected from the network Solid Blue led present.

To answer the questions presented in this forum topic:

1.  I cannot find the device on explorer

1. I cannot access the dashboard

2. I cannot access the device through the my cloud app on same network

4.  Ping was unsuccessful

1. IP address is logged in router

Firmware used is 03.03.02-165

1.  Verizon FIOS Actiontec router

2.  my cloud is connnected directly to the router

3.  my cloud is brand new and after upgrading firmware after new installation it has disconnected twice

1. first disconnect was during transfer of jpeg picture files and second disconnect no actions performed prior

5.  Solid blue led while offline

6.  dashboard not accessible

free space at 2.9tb

7.verizon fios

9.no other backup functions of unit have been used

1. norton 360

2. no usb drive attached to unit

I have noticed here that my WD My Cloud has lately been online overtime I’ve checked it since the last 3 hour disconnect about a week ago. Hopefully they have found the problem. I’ll report back in a week or two whether it’s running as it should. If WD did find the problem and fixed it…Thank You  :smiley::smiley::smiley:

Exact same here with sagem livebox 2 (except capacity usage).

I am having the same issues; I was using the device for about a week and then last night I connected an external hard drive to it and the dashboard was then unavailable. 

UPDATE

Don’t know why I didn’t think of this given the scenario below, but I rebooted the router and could then see the dashboard; however the device dropped off of my Explorer Network section, but rebooting the computer fixed that problem.  So, at this point everything is back up; will continue to monitor and report any further issues.

Notes:

- I can access the files on both the MyCloud and external drive through Windows explorer, but cannot acccess the dashboard.

- I do receive status alert emails from MyCloud when resetting.

Does it mean that you…

1. Cannot find device from the Explorer  Can find device
  2. Cannot Access the Dashboard  Cannot access
  3. Cannot Access device thru My Cloud App from the Same network: I do not have set up for Cloud access.
  4. Cannot Ping the Device
  5. Results: 

C:&gt;ping 192.168.0.28

Pinging 192.168.0.28 with 32 bytes of data&colon;
Reply from 192.168.0.16: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.28:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

1. The My Cloud IP address is not present in the Routers routing table  Present, but shows as “Inactive”

Clarification : What firmware are you presently using?  If you are not using the most current firmware release, 3.03.02, you may want to update to it.  We found that the performance degradation issue may have been one cause for the network disconnect issue. I installed latest firmware when purchased last week; I cannot view what version it is without dashboard so I can only assume it’s 3.03.02.

1. Router Name and Model&nbsp; <font color="#ff0000">TDS ActionTec V1000H</font>
    2. Is the My cloud connected directly to the router <font color="#ff0000">Yes</font>
    3. How often does the device disconnect&nbsp;<font color="#ff0000"> Had this probelm continuously since attaching external drive</font>
    4. Does it disconnect after a specific set of actions&nbsp; <font color="#ff0000">Dunno</font>
    5. LED color when offline&nbsp; <font color="#ff0000">Steady Blue</font>
    6. From the Dashboard&nbsp; <font color="#ff0000">Can't access dashboard</font>

1. Content Scan Status

1. Free Space
        2. Videos
        3. Tracks
        4. Photos
        5. other

New!

1. ISP&nbsp; <font color="#ff0000">TDS Telecomm</font>
  2. Internet type (Cable/DSL/fiber/etc)&nbsp; <font color="#ff0000">Fiber</font>
  3. Backup/NAS software on computers? <font color="#ff0000">Not set up yet, but experimented with Smartware (Smartware no longer sees the device)</font>
  4. Antivirus software on the computer?&nbsp; If so, provide details. <font color="#ff0000">McAfee Total Protection</font>
  5. Firewall software on the computer?&nbsp; If so, provide details.
  6. Is there a USB drive attached to the My Cloud?&nbsp; If so, provide details.<font color="#ff0000">WD 750 Gigabyte Caviar 7200rpm</font>
  7. Are you willing to work with WD for additional debugging / log gathering efforts?&nbsp; <font color="#ff0000">Sure, it's essentially a brick and untrustworthy at this point without the dashboard, so if no resolution I will have to return it to store.</font>

After implementing the suggestion here from Ralphael to stop the two indexing/serving processes, my MyCloud has been stable and available all the time. I’ve loaded 2.4TB or files so far and it’s still quick and responsive. Before this, after a few hours of loading it would bog down and stop responding to requests.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/before-you-pack-up-your-WD-and-return-it-let-s-talk-about/td-p/683307

Thanks Ralphael!

WD - When can you address this issue for all users?   It’s not reasonable to expect modification of the unit through unix commands!

Well I’ll join the growing list of people that have this same problem, from what I can see it happens to a lot of people with a range of different hardware. After a while, typically a few hours, I’ve never had it working constantly for more than a day over the period of a week and half, the device is unresponsive and drops off the network, blue light is still on. After a power cycle it comes back but never for more than a few hours. During this time I’m quite happy with the functionality.

It’s disapointing that this does not work as advertised, I’m on the verge of returning the product for a refund and going with a different option for my home backups. I will try a few more things but if this is the level quality I am concerned about trusting the device. A friend at work has also bought this device and seems to be having the same problems, I’ll consult with him some more but I don’t think this will be getting any recommendations from either of us at work.

To answer the questions presented in this forum topic:

I’m on a Mac and PC 

1.  I cannot find the device on finder

1. I cannot access the dashboard

2. I cannot access the device through the my cloud app on same network

4.  Ping was unsuccessful

1. IP address is logged in router

Firmware used is 03.03.02-165

1.  A Netgear cable modem wireless router (standard supplied by BigPond in Australia)

2.  my cloud is connnected directly to the router

3.  my cloud is brand new and after upgrading firmware after new installation it has disconnected more than 5 times

1. disconnect has only occured after periods of inactivity

5.  Solid blue led while offline

1.  a. Scan status after a reboot starts scanning but seems ok and then goes to idle

b. i. 1.6TB

ii. videos: 115

iii. tracks: 2

iv. photos: 31191

v. other: 17818

1. Telstra Bigpond

9.Time machine, and I’ve copied files directly to the shared folders

1. no usb drive attached to unit

2. to a certain extent