More fun with remote access!

I’ve had a MyCLoud now for a couple of years I guess, and despite the monumental pain in the ass it was to get it set up, it works somewhat reliably most of the time while using the WD software. This was not my first choice of setup (understatement), but like many others here I’d wasted enough of my life trying to get the direct IP option to work and eventually just gave up on it in lieu of firing it through a closed upstairs window.

Fast forward a few months…I am overseas at the moment with a fairly reliable but slow internet connection. I am working on a project here in my spare time that requires me to access my My Cloud back in the states, which works kind of ok for anything under a few hundred MB…if you aren’t in a hurry and have the patience to retry the download several (many) times each. My latest challenge has been a 3 GB file that I can not get completely downloaded to save my life. I have tried just about every 3rd party solution including dropbox and various download managers, with no success. Eventually, to even my own amazement, I finally cracked the code on getting the drive to mount using an ftp connection, and can now actually see all the folders on the drive, but of course can not get any of them to download no matter what I try.

If anyone has any suggestions, here are my desired outcomes in order of preference:

1. I would like to be able to connect directly to the WD via IP and have it behave like a normal NAS…you know, upload, download, that kind of thing. HAHAHAHAHAHA…just kidding, like that could ever happen! so, seriously this time:

2. I would like to be able to download a 2-3GB file in under, say, a week, whether it’s in port forwarding or relay mode, I don’t care as long as I don’t have to keep restarting over and over and over and over, or alternatively, if the ■■■■ thing would just have the option to resume the download after it is interrupted, that would be great too. Any techniques for downloading in segments etc., any other workable ideas, bring it. I am not picky. (One exception: Any suggestions involving having me talk my wife through reconfiguring routers over FaceTime will be respectfully disregarded in the interest of preserving my marriage.)

3. If, as I suspect will eventually be the case, I end up having my wife just mail the whole thing to me, once I get the files I need, I will be disposing of it in whatever I deem to be the most satisfying manner. Off the top of my head, competitive options include shooting it with a large caliber weapon, having it blown up responsibly by our friendly EOD guys, or, my favorite, throwing it out of an aircraft. Suggestions welcome! And I do have a go pro.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

It might be worth looking at WebDAV, although I’m not sure quite how much the plain MyCloud supports it. I use it on my MyCloud Mirror and it works fine when paired with a suitable app at the travelling device end.

This thread has some details on it which may be of interest, but I can’t vouch for how well it works on that device as it seems to need more spanner-work under the bonnet than my MCM did to get it running.

If you can just have your wife turn on SSH in MyCloud dashboard and open port 22 on your home router :), then the rest is at your end, after you change the MyCloud SSH password with Putty, you can just install FileZilla on a pc at your location, login into your MyCloud from FileZilla by sftp and away you go. I believe FileZilla has resume. There are lower level methods using SSH with rsync etc but they involve a bigger learning curve I think.

Trying to get the 1bay nas to work with WebDav needs much fiddling. But of course it works great if you managed to hack it to your liking.

Another similar option is to install OwnCloud which also have a proper working WebDav access and Dropbox like interface. Check out the official demo here https://demo.owncloud.org/ . Look for my webhosting mods in this forum if you’re interested to have it installed.

One thing though I don’t understand, you said you could view the ftp folders but can’t download? Using any ftp client like WinSCP or Filezilla doesn’t allow you to download? Or were you trying to ftp download a folder that doesn’t belong to your access? Care to elaborate more?

My advice: buy a Raspberry Pi, mount your WD My Cloud folders on it and do what you want on the raspberry Pi to access your data (VPN, FTP and more).

At the beginning I was also trying to do things directly on the My Cloud device, even if possible for some things it can be dangerous if you make a mistake. After having connected a Raspberry Pi to my network all my frustration flew away and now I use only the device for what it has been designed for.

Cool, a couple of new things to try. Sometimes I wonder what the folks who buy Sinologies do with all that free time.

Have done all of the first part (repeatedly), but haven’t tried filezilla yet.

[quote=“DarrenHill”]
It might be worth looking at WebDAV, although I’m not sure quite how much the plain MyCloud supports it. I use it on my MyCloud Mirror and it works fine when paired with a suitable app at the travelling device end.

This thread5 has some details on it which may be of interest, but I can’t vouch for how well it works on that device as it seems to need more spanner-work under the bonnet than my MCM did to get it running.[/quote]

No success yet on this.

Thanks, I’ll look at own cloud too. As far as the last couple of questions, I have managed to mount the WD using several different methods, from SSHFS to FTP, https, http etc. The results vary from won’t connect at all to, best case so far, connects with no problem, can see the folders and the files within the folders, but no matter how I try to download them it will say Zero kb of X MB, and sits there for as long as I care to wait.

I should have mentioned I am trying to do this on a mac, I’m not an IT guy by any stretch of the imagination, but I’m generally pretty successful at making stuff work on the network. For example, I set up a QNAP at my wife’s store that was running perfectly, to include remote access, about 30 minutes after I took it out of the box. So this is extremely frustrating to say the least.

Thanks for the ideas, I’ll report back if I get any of them to work.

Finally got ssh to work with filezilla, and then inexplicably, ftp started working as well. What a pain in the ass!! Lesson learned, spend the money and research the reviews up front or end up wasting days of your life to find workarounds to something that is advertised to work out of the box. Never say never, but this will be my last WD network product for quite a while.