Enable webdav

Oh I see. Even though WebDav is available on the cloud, it has been customized to work with WDMyCloud’s framework. You can view the settings here, /etc/nas/apache2/auth. And you can test them out with the followings:

1. http(s)://Your_External_IP:Port/Share_name_with_trailing_underscore/Full_path_to_your_stuffs.
  • Your_External_IP = Your ISP provided IP, Google “What is my IP”.
  • Port = The forwarded port in your router, isn’t always 80/443. Can check from WD Dashboard settings when you choose manual ports.
  • Share_name_with_trailing_underscore = Share name + “_” eg. /Public_/ or /Documents_/.
  • Full_path_to_your_stuffs = Absolute path needed else you’ll need to edit Apache2’s settings to enable directory listing.
  1. Username and password to login where username is a unique 11 digits preassigned to your username eg. “12345678” and password is your original password in 32 digits MD5 hash format eg. “d8e8fca2dc0f896fd7cb4cb0031ba249”. Use sqlite3 to read them from /usr/local/nas/orion/orion.db.

IIRC the WD Dashboard will ovewrite the WebDav settings above when you made changes from the webUI, so it’s best to create a new set of settings eg. /etc/apache2/conf.d/my_new_webdav.conf. Also with a new setting, you don’t have to follow WD’s paths/username/password convention. Then do a reload, “service apache2 reload”.

WebDav is definitely faster than sftp/ssh/scp due to less encryption overhead but it has a 4GB size limitations and it needs to be configured and Apache2 reloaded everytime you have new changes. While you wanna avoid FTP even though it is fast due to security reasons, you might wanna try FTPS which can be easily enabled from the existing vsftpd config /etc/vsftpd.conf. FTPS is way faster than SFTP in terms of transfer speed (FTP>FTPS>SFTP).

2 Likes