Microsoft phasing out Windows Storage Server 2008 support

I just read that Microsoft is phasing out Windows Storage Server 2008 support which is the operating system on my Sentinel DX4000.  Is the DX4000 capable of running a newer version?  …if not, is there an upgrade path other than scraping and replacing the whole unit?  I realize that some level of support will continue for a window of time, however it seems logical to be thinking about a Plan B. 

The least expensive system Western Digital seems to offer with a newer operating system is $3200.  Ideally, I’d like to see a less expensive option with some level of trade-up and be able to move my drives and data over without a huge loss of time.  I’d hate to think that my $1500 investment is now a dead end that will end up scraped and cost me double that to replace it.

The Sentinel is a “special bird” :)  The software is Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials and is an OEM Embeded product.  (Why we never could get the software from Newegg for example) As such I was told it would be supported till 2023 or 2024, I forget which.  Though I actually have no clue what level of support that means.

We keep pushing Microsoft for a “workgroup” product like the DX has or the Home Server was, but they do not listen.  The DS series software costs about 8 times as much as the DX

But your hard drives have what a 5 year life span?  It will be time to upgrade when support gives out.

1 Like

Hi all,

This got me worried, as I have bought an RX4100 with Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials on it.

According to Microsoft at http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/?alpha=Windows , Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials leaves Mainstream support 13/01/2015.

But it has extended support (which means security updates) until 2020, which will do me fine.

I hope that this is useful.

Regards,

Tony

1 Like