Media Network Direction Please

webitguy wrote:

mike27oct you are saying that if I have multiple wdtv lives which i do already that if I put them on the same network, which i dont currently have the one in my bedroom connected to a network cable, that I would be able to see the content directly connected to wdtv in living room on my wdtv in the bedroom.

>>> YEP, that’s what I am saying.

I know that sounds crazy that I havent tried that but I dont have a line in my bedroom so that would be why it hasnt been attempted. Under what option on the wdtv would one drive see the other.

>>> The two WDs can see one another via Network Shares

Also keep in mind I have the older style WDTV Live Pluses, ones without spotify and without built in wireless.

>>> Those are the models I have, too.

And yes, I would love to be able to control my media from my tablets through the various apps that are out there.

I would like to choose play this movie on this tv and it play whether its attached or not. Thats my ultimate goal.

>>> FB can also access media on the PCs in the network.  Go here:   http://www.stratospherix.com/products/filebrowser/ 

More info:

I set up the second Live Plus about a month ago when we retired the old CRT TV in the bedroom for a new HD model.  My house is entirely wired for internet, but where the bedroom TV is located there is no network connection.  Fortunately, it is near the wireless router, so I needed a wireless adapter for the Plus, and one that would connect at wireless-n with the new gigabit n-router.  My successful “adventure” with the wireless adapter is described here:   http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Networking/Add-another-wireless-USB-adapter-to-the-approved-list/m-p/491700/highlight/true#M16254 

Also, I learned at this forum to give the second WD a different name so as not to confuse the network and myself.  Since the default name of the units is WDTVLIVEPLUS,  I just added a 2 at the end of the name on the second player, and all is cool.  I recommend you turn off the first WD from the network, and plug the second one into the first’s power and network wires and set it up wired; then, once successfully set up, disconnect the network cable, plug the wireless adapter into the Plus ,and set it up wirelessly.  When all is done, take the second unit to the bedroom, (hook the first one back up to the network, etc) and when you plug the second one in at the bedroom, it will all work fine and with no conflicts.  This is how it worked for me.