Media Library WdTV Live Compiling for ever........?

Same problem here…  stupid blinking light for over 24 hours… just decided to check this forum to see if others have the problem, and at least I can see I’m not alone. I have a 1TB PHD, and it has no issues on the PC. I even tried change all file and folder permissions to de-select the “Read Only” attribute on the folders with the movies in them, and it doesn’t matter. I am going to try to avoid formatting the stupid drive and re-copying because I don’t have another 1TB drive to store my media on while I do it.

I’m sorry I don’t have any help or suggestions, but hopefully adding to the pile of affected users here will get WD’s attention and fix the problem with a firmware patch soon! This is ridiculous. I had the Seagate FAT+ and finally made the jump to the WD Live SMP because I was sick of the Seagate not working randomly when I’d turn it on. So far I’m not impressed since I can’t compile my library! 

It’s basically 20 or so ISO files, a dozen MKV’s and a few hundred MP4’s, some JPGS, and that’s it!.

FIX THIS PROBLEM WD! People (like me) read these forums to decide what to buy (or not). Unresolved problems don’t look good!

…now…off to go try to find a link to the previous firmware somewhere…although Samurai reports it not working for him, so maybe I shouldn’t bother.  Ugh.

1 Like

Nice box and it has the best potential! I found the WD Live to work fabulously slinging media all around my networkwith no problems in the short few hour trial I exerted on it. Streaming media from other sources was a different story.

After considering how obscure the WD Live TV Plus history was and information about what I was buying, the feedback forms and forum registration, that couldn’t be made to work, the phone help person, the way the setup  screens worked and the inconsistency of the operation, I decided that a few hundred dollars for a xbmc PC was much cheaper than hundereds of hours of my time with this “challenged” firmware.  I reviewed dozens of the same “shares not found” posts here, with the solutions (not one) and the firmware revision (still at rev 1.xxx) and realized I wasn’t going to get burned on another media player the way I did on a MG450HD ( not capable of HD despite name and advertising). I will definitely be watchig this little box in the future to see if WD actually spends ime to make it work properly and handle programming errors properly. Then I will have one, again.

just a brief note to confirm that after several disconnects and reconnects of my portable hard drive the media library has compiled without a hitch every time.  I dont know why or why it wouldnt compile before with either version of the firmware but I’ll be sticking with the previous version until another update comes along.

No I did nothing different and as I have written elsewhere I have disconnected and reconnected the hard drive several times since (to add othere media from laptop) and after each nnew start up it’s recompiled fine in a matter of minutes.  I’ve no idea why!

I’m glad you got it working… wish I could say the same. I rolled back to previous firmware and still no luck. Which rev are you using exactly?

I haven’t had my WDTV SMPs for much over a week and had the exact same issue.  What I’ve discovered is that the way for me to get around this hang-up is to do the following:

1. Go to Settings > Media Library > Media Library Manager
  2. Delete the network share(s) that you are having issues with
  3. Select OK when asked if you want to remove the data and content info
  4. Go Back to the main Media Library setup screen.  Select Clear Media Library
  5. Once this is completed, I hit the Home button (I don’t know if this has any bearing on my success or not)
  6. Now, go to your drive(s) on your PC and delete the .wdtv folder from the root of the drive(s).
  7. After deleting the folder, you can now go back and add your network shares in the Media Library Manager.  If you watch the drive(s) that you deleted the .wdtv folder from, you should see the recreation of the folder and activity inside it.  When completed, you should have four folders in the .wdtv folder.

I had been doing a hard reset in order for my SMP to rescan the drive(s) without hanging up.  By doing this, I have been able to successfully change items in my library (add, remove, edit) and have the WDTV rescan without hard reset.  I have about 500 MKV files across two networked drives and it takes about 4 minutes total to scan both.  I guess I should add that I am using the latest firmware for the SMP.

Hope this helps someone out.

1 Like

I had copied all of my media off of my main PC/share to a local USB hard drive because I thought the problem was with the network… even with JUST a USB drive attached, I still get hung on the compilation. It must be something in my naming or folder structuring, or something… But since I have everything on portable USB drive now, do I even need this library feature enabled? I think not, right? Does it provide any other feature other than to aggregate all content sources into one library? Can I still get the media info/metadata, nice cover art, etc… if I do not use the media library? 

I wonder if using the library speeds up the GUI display of thumbnails or anything performance-wise like that?

Anyhow, I’m giving up on the media library for now and sticking with local USB access.

The firmware I’m using is 1 08 17…i.e. the most recent before the upgrade about twp weeks ago.  Like I said I have no idea why it tried and failed (with both versions since the upgrade) and then out of the blue worked OK …repeatedly.  The copy of 1 08 17 I was using was the same every time, downlaoded, extracted and saved to a USB pen drive.  The procedure I went through was exactly the same too.  maybe a dozen failures then bingo it works.

I had same promblem with my 2.5TB but not an 8 GIG flash drive.

Solution to my problem:

Reinstalled Firmware Ver. 1.07.18 from http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/session/L2F2LzEvc25vLzEvdGltZS8xMzQyNDg4ODYzL3NpZC80RFE4MmsxbA%3D%3D

Compiling took <10min with all content showing up.

For info,

I had Media Library set up to scan three separate folders from my 2Tb NAS Drive. It works for the folders ‘Video’ and ‘Music’ but it doesn’t work on ‘photos’. 

Each of the folders has mixed content i.e music folder has .jpg and .avi; video folder also has pictures etc.

Strangely, I can set media library to scan folders INSIDE the top level ‘photo’ folder (e.g 2012 Pictures; 2011 Pictures etc.), and they work perfectly, but I am restricted to max 10 folders to scan with media library.

Next step is put the sub folders together under the top level photo folder and see if it works.

Weird and annoyingly frustrating.

Same problem…just bought this yesterday and I have it on my wireless network, connected to a Windows 2008 server share with videos, music and pictures. After leaving it overnight, music and videos appear but no photos…none at all. I can browse to the folder manually but they won’t add to the library…

I’m running fw over 1.10.13

I upgraded to that FW when it was first available…it was fine till there was a power cut and the box reset.  it then wouldnt compile again so I went back to 1.08.17 that after a number of attempts works every time.  I saved it to a usb a few weeks ago and it works perfectly- even though there were several attempts when it didnt  ( I dont know if each time you download the FW it comes from the same source, is exactly the same each time or if the process of downloading may iduce gliches, but whats on my usb works every time.  Every few days I try upgrading to the latest version 1.10.13 but I then cant get media library to compile so I go back to 1.08.17 and it’s fine.  I’ll wait for another upgrade and try that but in the meantime I’m sticking with what works!

Hi bugman72,

Your suggestions worked for me.  Had tried the Clear Media Library option twice and rebuilding the Media Library but the “Media Live Compiling function continued” running and never finished after 24 hours.  After using your suggestions the compiling finished in under 5 minutes.  Note: Prior to hitting the compiling issue the compiling would run about 20 minutes.   

One other thing I did was when I re-added my Network Share, was that I chose to start the Media Library in the Movies sub directory instead of at the higher level root of the share.  This caused the .wdtv hidden folder to be created in the Movies sub directory - not the root.  Based on observations this also heavily reduced the compilation requirements as my other sub folders off the root (Photos, Music, etc) were no longer being indexed.  For myself the real value of the Media Library feature is using it with Movies.  I tend to prefer the Network Folders view for other categories such as Photos and Music. 

Thanks,

Frew84

The problem I’m having is with a Locally attached USB drive, so I can’t follow bugman’s advice.

I have about 7 movies on the USB drive, only one of which appears in the Media Library. I can play all of them through the files menu but only 1 ever shows up, despite resets, unplugging it, rescan, deleting media library.

I only have the USB drive because some files stutter when played from the network drive. I have an 8Gb director’s cut HD Avatar film which plays perfectly over the netowrk, yet a low bit-rate standard quality film stutters like anything over the network, but is fine on the USB.

I just can’t get the USB films to appear in the media library.

I spend more time on this forum than actually using the stupid thing, which thankfully isn’t very much.

I take it all back about it being ok now.  I removed my PHD to add some new music.  When I reconnected it would not compile media library…I’ve tried all the things that fixed it before no joy.  I’ve tried every other usb device I have (all comparatively very small capacity) and they all compile no problem  Any suggestions anybody please.

Thanks man. My hair had turned gray trying to figure out that one. My WD TV would freeze when attempting to load files from my NAS. Now all my movies have metadata. The few that WD could not get, I added on my own using an editor. Thanks again.

Hi

As you will see from my most recent post I’m back to where I started with this problem.  All I did was removed PHD to add some music to it (about 10 albums) now it wont compile no matter what I try.  The previous firmware (see above) always used to fix it when a new version came along and it didnt work.  The latest version had been working fine until this.  I had previously done several disconnect/reconnects without a problem.  I’ve even tried removing what I added yesterday -same result.  I added that music to a 64gb usb which I then filled compiled no problem . I’m completely at a loss now and have resorted copying stuff on to hal a dozen USB sticks all of which compile in a few minutes without any problem at all.  Any suggestions at all would be most welcome. Thanks

in between the media compiling freezing, the fact that the android remote has NEVER worked, firmware refusing to update, netflix crashing after playing a single episode of any series, I’ve given up on this. I’ll be listing this on ebay tomorrow and telling anyone within earshot to say the **bleep** away from this worthless peice of garbage. 

love, 

-a

1 Like

After about 20 attempts it complied library ok…and has done it several times since after power cuts etc.  Upgraded to latest version of FW a few days ago- no problem.  Cant figure it out at all

I have the same problem since updating.

Have left it overnight and several attempts since, hrs at a time. Reset factory defaults, reset hardware, tried alternative drives. Tried reseting, disconeting from network and manually updating firmware from zip.

Unplugging the HD doesnt have any effect as the WD box has effectively frozen whilst compiling.

My external (WD) 2TB HD is partitioned which has not been an issue in the prior firmware.

About to try bugman72’s suggestion… *fingers crossed*

Spent around 20 hrs and counting :frowning: