MBWE doesn't go to standby-mode

Hi,

I’ve never seen before this heavy “ignore-behaviour” from a company!

The “MIONET-disable” via ssh works fine at my side. The drive is going to sleep after about 7 minutes of unuse.

It is a fundamental problem so you would hope thay would be looking for a solution urgently.

I have turned off Mionet via ssh, moved all my files out of the Public folder into a new share and set Twonky to update the database twice a day and the iTunes server to update once a day.

It still does not go into standby even when all other network devices are switched off.

Hi,

I have the same situation as TonysPC: I have tried all the solutions to switch off MioNet, TwonkyMedia and iTunes-Server, I have moved all files from Public to a new directory and so on - nothing helps. Usually I see no standby-mode at all, but sometimes, the MyBook does go into standby-mode after 10 or more minutes of inactivity, but every time it will wake up again after less than 30 seconds.

When I disconnect the MyBook from the router, standby works. When I connect it to the router, standby does not work any more, even if I have the WLAN switched off and no other device connected. So it’s just the router and MyBook and nothing else - what could keep the MyBook awake in this setting?

Today, I finally got a message from WD support (after 4 weeks of silence…), admitting that they have a problem with MioNet and standby and that they will provide a firmware upgrade soon. We can only hope the upgrade covers more than just the MioNet problem - a lot of us have MioNet already switched off somehow and still have no standby mode…

OK Problem is back again…

MyBook doesn’t go into standby

After several weeks of normal operation, I encountered the same problem with my new WD My Book World Edition II. A Google search led me to this helpful Forum. I just need a reliable local NAS for access by several household PCs, no remote access or fancy media server. First I applied the posted script edit to disable Mionet. In my case, this did not resolve the issue. I couldn’t understand the posted Twonky Media script update, so I just used Putty to execute the command “./S97twonkyserver stop”. This caused all the Twonky Media processes to go away. Shortly after that, the My Book finally went into standby. Hopefully, this workaround will remain effective over time (else I will post an update).

Knock Knock

Hello Western Digital, anybody home?

I received my RMA ! The firmware is 1.1.18 !!:dizzy_face: So I can’t download this version for my another MBWE (firmware 1.1.16 !!!)

Suddenly mine has started going into standby !!!

When I get home from work in the evening the disk has spun down although when I get up in the morning the disk is still spinning.

I have not changed anything since turning off Mionet and moving all my media to new shares.

Perhaps it needs a very long period of inactivity before it will go into standby?

Hello all.

I am reall sorry to hear that you guys are experiencing issues with your drives.

I just wanted to let you all know that we are currently looking into this issue.

BTW.

If you will like to assist us finding a possible solution please send me a PM and I will provide more instructions on what I will need from you. We will probably need some logs, network layout, etc…

Thanks Christian - am looking forward to your solution.

My main concern is the longevity / lifetime of this HDD, as it hasn’t slept since I purchased it over 2 weeks ago!!

Will try some of the solutions listed and see how it goes, but would prefer a WD fix rather than hacks.

I would like to assist to find a solution to this problem. This is what I have done so far to get the Mybook to sleep:

• Disabled mionet via hack presented on this forum

• Disabled twonky via hack presented on a forum elsewhere

But I need twonky. So recently I installed Twonky server 6.01RC3 and put the rescan interval of this server to 0. (no automatic rescan). The twonky 6 server seems a lot more stable then version 5 that came installed on the mybook. But I have only a 30 day trial and can’t find my version 5 key on the mybook. The sleep problem seems to have been gone and the mybook goes to sleep perfectly and only comes out when I mount the samba share on my laptop of when I activate the dlna client blu-ray player.

If you want anymore information, please let me know and I will sent it to you.

grtz,

Robert

So, after some days my RMA with firmware 1.1.18 works better but always… Sometimes it wakes up alone !! I am very disappointed from this device… I don’t know Buffalo but it will be my next choise !!

R_bert wrote:

But I need twonky. So recently I installed Twonky server 6.01RC3 and put the rescan interval of this server to 0. (no automatic rescan). The twonky 6 server seems a lot more stable then version 5 that came installed on the mybook. But I have only a 30 day trial and can’t find my version 5 key on the mybook. The sleep problem seems to have been gone and the mybook goes to sleep perfectly and only comes out when I mount the samba share on my laptop of when I activate the dlna client blu-ray player.

… 

grtz,

Robert

I don’t wish to hijack this thread but I would like to install a later version of Twonky.

Could you let me know how you did this and which install package did you download? - A PM would be fine.

Thank you.

PM send. Let me know if it works out.

1 Like

BUMP - any updated WD?

I’ve had no luck with the white light as to disabling Twonky and Mionet.

Thanks.

And all of a sudden it’s sleeping now!!

I set Twonky to “0” (no auto updating of folders) and after a reset and a further 24 hours, it is now sleeping.

Weird, but I’m happy for now.

Will keep an eye over the weekend and see how it goes with activity / inactivity.

O.

I also have  this problem. My MBWE has NEVER gone into standby.

I have around 30% usage (1TB drive). Twonky set to never refresh, mionet disabled with ssh hack.

I am running latest firmware.

WD please fix ASAP, i have to manually turn off my drive. No good

can someone from WD please confirm when a fix will be in place? I am considering retuning my drive and purchasing an alternative brand

Hi

Thanks to all from this post. I’ve been struggling to get my MBWE to spin down for months.

Seems like my issue was mionet and or twonky related. Disabled mionet finally by tweaking some scripts to make the check box actually keep mionet turned off. After reading the last couple of weeks on this post I tweaked the twonky settings including turning logging off, and now finally a bit of peace a quiet, drive span down shortly afterwards.