MBWE doesn't go to standby-mode

After you login with SSH, just type:

and check what applications/services runs in the background! 

Here is my goodworking MBWE:

1 Like

I typed : top

and please look my print screen, I think it’s ok, right?

Transmission running now but when it has nothing to do pass in sleep, I verfied.

Here is my print screen:

http://yfrog.com/j6screenshot002hjj

WD released a newer version of MioNet for the MyBook World.  What version do you have on your drives now?

I too have the problem with the mybook (white light) not going into standby and I also think it started when I reached a certain level of space usage. I already have Mionet, Itunes etc. disabled (twonky is still running) and when I look at the running processes, right now only “exe” is active, all other processes are asleep. I can tell from the light and drive noise that the disk is reading something every 30 seconds or so, even when it’s not connected to my network at all, but I can’t tell why. Should I too post my log here so you can take a look at it and maybe see something suspicious? Regards, Daniel

Edit: I forgot to mention that I disabled Mionet with the help of the same script as batka posted.

WDJeremy

I have 01.01.16 with MioNet 4.1.0.0.171, my MBWE doesn’t  go in standbay mode this is the problem, you have any ideea why?

I too have the problem with the mybook (white light) not going into standby and I also think it started when I reached a certain level of space usage. I already have Mionet, Itunes etc. disabled (twonky is also disabled !!! ) and when I look at the running processes, right now only “exe” is active, all other processes are asleep. I can tell from the light and drive noise that the disk is reading something every 30 seconds or so, even when it’s not connected to my network at all, but I can’t tell why. Should I too post my log here so you can take a look at it and maybe see something suspicious? Regards, Daniel

Edit: I forgot to mention that I disabled Mionet with the help of the same script as batka posted.

Cause its 100% the same to me, I felt free to copy / paste this post. I would be very pleased to get a solution as soon as possible, else I have to return this drive to amazon. My Drive is loaded with Data more than 80%. Cause the copy process needs days, I would be pleased not have to retourn this drive.

This night i moved a big amount of files to anothter drive. Now the usage is 51%. But the drive goes on with this strange noise, and the time to enter standby isn’t that maximum of 9minutes mentioned in the manual.

Next days i try to move all data to another drive. And try a reset. Will come back and tell you what happend.

Why do we not get any support from wd? Why doesnt give us WD_Bill any advise?

@danitzi:

Did you made those changes described by Batka?

Did you disconnect your drive from network? Does it than enter stand-by?

I checked with our engineers and the newer version of MioNet will keep the drive alive on the network in order to host photos for the new WD Photo iPhone/iPod application.  You can still stop other processes on the drive such as the iTunes server.  Additionally, moving data out of the “Shared” folders within the “Public” share will minimize the Twonky media server’s activity.

Hi have the same problem, my drive is only 17% used and wont go idle anymore.

I’ve tried to disconnect from the network a few hours, but that didn’t help, I also deactivated iTunes server, Twonky file scan to 0, no FTP, no AFP, no NFS, No Mionet.

I only have web, cifs and ssh turned on. When I $top the unit it always has a exe process working, what is this process?

When will a new firmware be lauched to correct this problem?

Regards,

Alex

I apologize but we have no specific date for the next firmware release.

Hi,

first, sorry for my English.

I have move the Twonky startsript ,S97twonkyserver’’ from etc/init.d to my share public(Backup) and the WD Mybook go after a reboot to sleep !!!:smileyvery-happy:

But, i will have Twonky, so i move the startscript back to etc/init.d and the WD going not more in sleep.:cry:

Twonky db(Database) is the problem, she is going bigger and bigger.

Solution: twonky settings     http://192.168.1.22:9000/config  ,  problem troubleshooting: push the ,make the Database new’’  and ,Reset to Default to restore’’ Button. Deselect LOG !!  i have this in German and  have not the correct names.

After new setting my shares and Twonky read it , the WD Mybook going to sleep !

Greetings

AngusY wrote:

Hi,

first, sorry for my English.

Hallo, kannst deinen Lösungsvorschlag gerne auch noch mal in deutsch hier rein schreiben. :manhappy:

1 Like

Hallo MSE99,

ich habe auf die schnelle keine zitieren Funktion hier gefunden.Egal.

Hoffentlich war meine Lösung in Englisch nicht zu sehr unverständlich.

Meine WD Mybook ging eines Tages nicht mehr in den Standby Mode, das hat mich natürlich sehr gestört, denn das  war der Grund weshalb ich meine Buffalo Linkstation Live wieder verkauft habe und jetzt bei WD gelandet bin.

Zuerst habe ich den Twonkyserver über das Webinterface der Mybook abgeschaltet, nach einem Neustart lädt das Startscript wohl doch noch irgendwas, aber der Server war definitiv nicht gestartet, vielleicht ein Log ?

Alle paar Sekunden erfolgt ein Festplattenzugriff und so geht die Mybook natürlich nie schlafen.

Also habe ich per mc(MidnightCommander,fast so ähnlich wie NortonCommander)  , das Startscipt: /etc/init.d/S97twonkyserver auf mein Share verschoben. Per Befehlszeile verschieben geht natürlich auch.

Nach einem Neustart ging die Platte schön in Standby.

Da ich jetzt aber den Twonkyserver benötige wurde das Startscript wieder zurückkopiert,  WD Mybook neugestartet und siehe da kein Standby mehr.

Also habe ich auf der Twonkyserver Settingsseite:  http://192.168.1.22:9000/config, unter Problembehebung die Buttons ,Auf Standardeinstellungen zurückstellen’’ und ,Datenbank neu erstellen’’ gedrückt, die LOG Datei abgestellt,den Server neugestartet, 

meine Verzeichnisse neu einlesen lassen (30000 Titel) und siehe da die WD Mybook geht wieder schlafen.

Ich habe hier noch die Logdatei es wurde pausenlos bei den Standardfreigaben des Twonky auf der Platte gelesen, obwohl ich diese nicht freigegben hatte !! Kann sie auch wieder löschen wenn es etwas zuviel hier ist…

08:16:06:868 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping /DataVolume/jewab/twonkymedia.db/twonkymedia-server-online-data, rescantime == 0
08:16:06:868 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping, not enabled /DataVolume/Public/Shared Videos
08:16:06:869 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping, not enabled /DataVolume/Public/Shared Pictures
08:16:06:869 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping /DataVolume/Public/Shared Music, rescantime == 0
08:16:06:869 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread checking scan queue
08:16:06:870 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread reading external import items
08:16:06:876 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread checking plugins
08:16:07:478 LOG_SYSTEM:upnp_get_interfaces get_interface_addresses 127.0.0.1
08:16:07:478 LOG_SYSTEM:upnp_get_interfaces get_interface_addresses 192.168.1.22
08:16:07:479 LOG_SYSTEM:check_NIC_change IP count: 2 / 2
08:16:07:479 LOG_SYSTEM:check_NIC_change IP verify: 127.0.0.1
08:16:07:479 LOG_SYSTEM:check_NIC_change IP verify: 192.168.1.22
08:16:07:878 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping /DataVolume/jewab/twonkymedia.db/twonkymedia-server-online-data, rescantime == 0
08:16:07:878 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping, not enabled /DataVolume/Public/Shared Videos
08:16:07:879 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping, not enabled /DataVolume/Public/Shared Pictures
08:16:07:879 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping /DataVolume/Public/Shared Music, rescantime == 0
08:16:07:879 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread checking scan queue
08:16:07:879 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread reading external import items
08:16:07:886 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread checking plugins
08:16:08:888 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping /DataVolume/jewab/twonkymedia.db/twonkymedia-server-online-data, rescantime == 0
08:16:08:888 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping, not enabled /DataVolume/Public/Shared
08:16:56:369 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread checking scan queue
08:16:56:370 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread reading external import items
08:16:56:376 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread checking plugins
08:16:57:378 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping /DataVolume/jewab/twonkymedia.db/twonkymedia-server-online-data, rescantime == 0
08:16:57:378 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping, not enabled /DataVolume/Public/Shared Videos
08:16:57:379 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping, not enabled /DataVolume/Public/Shared Pictures
08:16:57:379 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping /DataVolume/Public/Shared Music, rescantime == 0
08:16:57:379 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread checking scan queue
08:16:57:379 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread reading external import items
08:16:57:386 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread checking plugins
08:16:58:388 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping /DataVolume/jewab/twonkymedia.db/twonkymedia-server-online-data, rescantime == 0
08:16:58:388 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping, not enabled /DataVolume/Public/Shared Videos
08:16:58:389 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping, not enabled /DataVolume/Public/Shared Pictures
08:16:58:389 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping /DataVolume/Public/Shared Music, rescantime == 0
08:16:58:389 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread checking scan queue
08:16:58:390 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread reading external import items
08:16:58:396 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread checking plugins
08:16:59:398 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping /DataVolume/jewab/twonkymedia.db/twonkymedia-server-online-data, rescantime == 0
08:16:59:398 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping, not enabled /DataVolume/Public/Shared Videos
08:16:59:399 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping, not enabled /DataVolume/Public/Shared Pictures
08:16:59:399 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping /DataVolume/Public/Shared Music, rescantime == 0
08:16:59:399 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread checking scan queue
08:16:59:399 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread reading external import items
08:16:59:406 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread checking plugins
08:17:00:408 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping /DataVolume/jewab/twonkymedia.db/twonkymedia-server-online-data, rescantime == 0
08:17:00:408 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping, not enabled /DataVolume/Public/Shared Videos
08:17:00:409 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping, not enabled /DataVolume/Public/Shared Pictures
08:17:00:409 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping /DataVolume/Public/Shared Music, rescantime == 0
08:17:00:409 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread checking scan queue
08:17:00:409 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread reading external import items
08:17:00:416 LOG_SCAN filescanner thread checking plugins
08:17:01:418 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping /DataVolume/jewab/twonkymedia.db/twonkymedia-server-online-data, rescantime == 0
08:17:01:418 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping, not enabled /DataVolume/Public/Shared Videos
08:17:01:419 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping, not enabled /DataVolume/Public/Shared Pictures
08:17:01:419 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location skipping /DataVolume/Public/Shared Music, rescantime == 0

My WD Mybook World Edition 1TB only goes into Standby if I keep the Public folders empty, thus I have created another root folder, and keep all my data within subfolders in this new root folder.

I remain somewhat confused as to the cause of the problem. I see from this thread that some blame Twonky, some blame Mionet.

I recently asked WD for an answer. Their initial reply was:

“Since the release of Mionet 4.1 when the drive sees data it is kept awake in order to reduce the access time in part to accomodate WD Photo”

I subseqently asked them whether they were seriously saying that, since the release of Mionet 4.1, if data is in the Public shared folders then, by design, it will no longer go into Standby so that remote access time is minimised. I then asked when will I be able to disable Mionet by simply using the tickbox.

Their reply was :

“That is the case currently. Our engineers are aware that the drive behaves this way with the new Mionet and may be addressing this in a new release.”

I cannot believe that WD deem the current behaviour to be acceptable, so I am assuming that “may be” can be read as  “will be”.

I have stopped MIONET with this quote from somewhere…

,Visitor
Batka

I have the solution!

My problem was the MIONET, which always run in the background. The only one possibility to stop mionet is following:

1. Enable SSH login in WD Discovery menu

2. Login with SSH (I used PUTTY under WinXP and just type the IP adress of your MBWE to login, then user name: “root”   /   password: “welc0me”   )

3. Use the builtin text editor named: “Vi”  and edit monitorCVM.sh script. Type:

vi /usr/mionet/monitorCVM.sh

4. Add the following lines directly after the first set of comments (comments: # in the first character in the row)

if [! -f “/etc/.mionet_on_startup” ]; then
        exit 1
fi

5. Save and Close the file:

First: push ESC button,

Second: type:

:wq

Third: push ENTER button.

1. Close SSH

2. Restart MBWE

AND VOILA! MY NAS WENT TO STANDBY AFTER 10 MINUTES!!! ‘’

ok, same problem here.

Tried to conact the WD-Support but no really help (the feeling they want to ignore the problem)

They changed my device wihout any questions.

Now trying the MIONET-disable via ssh and it seems to work.

But there is a little more noise? Can that be?

best regards

When will come the new firmware ? I have the same problem !:manmad: I am very disappointed about this DD !

If I want to change the DD how can I do that and keep my data ?

I cannot believe that WD is totally ignoring this problem.  The constant HD reading and access will prematurely ware the unit down and increases the likelihood of a HD failure (yes all your mostly irreplaceable stuff is in greater jeopardy).  My unit is so annoying that I manually turn it off when not using it (never mind the fact it ■■■■■ up unnecessary juice just reading and scanning constantly) .  However, besides all this I have noticed that there is now an occasional read problem - movies play and then just stop for no reason.  I never had this problem before I added more content (its now about 75% full).  This is scary stuff to me.

I have not tinkered with the drive and frankly I do not want to but it looks like I will have to create another root folder such as Public1 like lakegirl and others mention.   Before I do that, has anyone else found a reasonably simple way to fix the constant HD reading and access and missing standby-mode??   If not, are there any negative consequences to putting everything into a new folder like Public1? 

And finally are existing users and potential purchasers of My Book World Edition drives to understand that WD absolutely does not care about any of this??

So we are in the WD Community forum and I think some people from WD read this topic ! So I can’t image that WD left their customers inthis bad impression and situation.

But when a new firmware will fix this problem ? Is it possible to have an answer from WD on this forum ?